Auto-RX Results - first cleaning cycle (not good)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Topo

Maybe the poor step child of additives, Marvel Mystery Oil would do the best job, LMAO..Now wouldn't that be cool.

A lot of people have added MMO to the A-Rx rinse cycle and got better results. It's been mentioned, finding it with the search engine is pretty tough though.

MMO alone does a great job, but the king of the slower engine cleaning products seems to be Kreen.

Slower engine cleaning = varnish to metal stains(the most random anomaly known to BITOG lol).

I suggest any full synthetic change religiously at 3,000 miles; like a PU or PP for price and the known uber dosage of calcium it has, for varnish removal.

Stain removal, some have reported their products to bring some shiny metal goodness back. Forget buying into their sales pitch or not, we know the general formulation direction and it is a stout oil.

Otherwise, if it's additive testing go for Kreen right away, IMO. Steve is right, it's quickest. At least for varnish.

Go for the elixir and then you'll know if the engine has hope or not. Post the after rinse cycle pics, too!

thumbsup2.gif

I would really love to see Kreen clean this back to bare metal. I've seen lots of talk on Kreen, scant evidence. I have used Kroil and love the stuff, so I'm no Kano hater.

In my experience MMO won't get it any cleaner than the pictures.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
I would really love to see Kreen clean this back to bare metal. I've seen lots of talk on Kreen, scant evidence. I have used Kroil and love the stuff, so I'm no Kano hater.

I agree.

Artem, after rinse phase try Kreen to see if it will clean up any vanish. Take few pictures after rinse before Kreen, then few pictures after Kreen.

To prove/disprove how effective Kreen on sludge/vanish engine your car is a good candidate for the test.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

I agree.

Artem, after rinse phase try Kreen to see if it will clean up any vanish. Take few pictures after rinse before Kreen, then few pictures after Kreen.

To prove/disprove how effective Kreen on sludge/vanish engine your car is a good candidate for the test.

Too bad we didn't have two more of those engines, in the same shape [wishful thinking]. I'd like to see the Amsoil flush and Seafoam, go side by side with Kreen. Follow the directions to the letter for each product and see.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

I agree.

Too bad we didn't have two more of those engines, in the same shape [wishful thinking]. I'd like to see the Amsoil flush and Seafoam, go side by side with Kreen. Follow the directions to the letter for each product and see.

I agree.

If there are several engines with the same conditions, then additional to Amsoil flush and Seafoam I like to try Lubegard engine flush with 1/4-1/2 oz per quart of oil for 500-1000 miles.

Lubegard engine flush directions: add 15oz bottle to a warm engine and idle for 5-10 minutes, then drain the engine oil completely.

I used 1/4 oz per quart, 2 oz in 8 qt sump, in E430 a year ago, the oil was dark amber before adding engine flush and pit black 300 miles later. I didn't remove the valve cover to check before and after flush. But according to oil color it did some cleaning, how well I don't know.

^^ I keep forgetting about the LG flush^^ If its anything like their other products are its probably a winner too!

Is there a thread on bitog that has documented proof of an oil additive that actually cleaned up varnish? That has clear before and after pics of the engine.

Last edited:

I agree.

Done! Hopefully i'll have plenty of business trips coming up, so the miles rack up with and i post the results ASAP.

Originally Posted By: sunfire
Is there a thread on bitog that has documented proof of an oil additive that actually cleaned up varnish? That has clear before and after pics of the engine.

I'd like to know this as well... i doubt i'm the only one who ever tried to tackle varnish removal.

Originally Posted By: Artem

I agree.

Done! Hopefully i'll have plenty of business trips coming up, so the miles rack up with and i post the results ASAP.

Thanks.

I love to try Kreen in my cars, but I could not easily buy it because I'm in CA. If your Kreen test shows good cleaning ability then I'll try to have my BIL in Iowa buys it then ship it to my home.

Originally Posted By: Artem

I'd like to know this as well... i doubt i'm the only one who ever tried to tackle varnish removal.

I'd love to see Amsoil's Flagship AZO go against PU, and M1 EP, all straight out of the bottle with no additives to see how they would clean up an engine. I read so many people commenting about how well a good synthetic oil cleans, there's three of the supposedly best oils. Seeing how they clean would be a great test too.

This thread is worthless. There is nothing to clean and nothing really works on varnish. rarely is varnish a substance on the surface to be removed but a color absorbed into the metal.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I read so many people commenting about how well (PU) cleans..... (it)....would be a great test too.

There. Fixed it for you.
lol.gif

I think people have some threads like that in their minds. Never seen one here in 10 years.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
This thread is worthless. There is nothing to clean and nothing really works on varnish. rarely is varnish a substance on the surface to be removed but a color absorbed into the metal.

While I would not go so far as to call the thread worthless I do agree that many times the metal is seemingly discolored. ANY cleaner is going to have a hard time removing color.

If there's a coating of varnish or sludge I have no doubt Kreen will remove it quickly. Spray some Kroil on a rag and check how it cleans sometime!

demarpaint said:
I read so many people commenting about how well (PU) cleans..... (it)....would be a great test too.

There. Fixed it for you.
lol.gif

Thanks!
smile.gif
My point is there are a lot of people here who believe that oil alone can clean an engine all by itself. While that might be true it is no match for oil with Kreen, MMO, or the Amsoil flush for that matter.

Agreed.

As far as synthetic oil, I think it can help with varnishing but not outright staining.

A big communication problem in this thread by us all is what is the definition of such as:

Varnish
Coking
Staining/Discoloration

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: badtlc

While I would not go so far as to call the thread worthless I do agree that many times the metal is seemingly discolored. ANY cleaner is going to have a hard time removing color.

If there's a coating of varnish or sludge I have no doubt Kreen will remove it quickly. Spray some Kroil on a rag and check how it cleans sometime!

^Well, I'd say 'quickest possible'.

To me, the thread for 'evidence' is zxylenator's with his Camry that was sludged up.

I think he started to track some staining with pics, lately in one of his 2 or 3 threads.

IMHO...I think that if the test is performed with Kreen.....the results will be outstanding!

I've seen what has come out of my engine, that I thought was spotless with good maintenance. After two doses of Kreen and judging from the color of the oil changed and filters changed,as I documented in the Kreen thread, there is no doubt in my mind that the cleaning done by Kreen was outstanding.

Without looking at the engine with the valve covers off, I can only surmise that the first dose did the actual cleaning and the second dose any additional cleaning and varnish removal.

I also have a Toyota engine....around the same period as Artem's, and I bet he will be spotless if he runs Kreen for 1K or more.

If I'm wrong.....then I've put my foot in my mouth. I can only express and post what I've seen come out of the sump on my 1997 T4R and collected in the removed oil filters. My vehicle has lived it's life mostly on Dino and Dino/Synthetic blends and not full synthetic or boutique oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back