Auto-Rx maintenance dose...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto-Rx is always in test,since your working with a natural blend of esters you have the opportunity to expand results(if they test out) This is not some knock off, it is patented chemistry. The largest maker of additives in the USA was quick enough to realize the power of the chemistry,s friction modifiers if 2 ounces works for some fine others might need 3 ounces and people with inherent internal friction points might want to use 4 ounces. The buyer has to deceide what he wants Auto-Rx to accomplish, our job is to help him to get the right application for his needs.

I don't care whether you run 2, 3, 4,5, or 6 ounces for a maintenance dose. In any case I think thats there is plenty of proof that running the maintenance dose after a full blown cleaning, helps keep the internals clean.

Originally Posted By: Rick20
I don't care whether you run 2, 3, 4,5, or 6 ounces for a maintenance dose. In any case I think thats there is plenty of proof that running the maintenance dose after a full blown cleaning, helps keep the internals clean.

I don't care either but it should be spelled out here...If you do not spell it out, the product will not get anywhere (as noted)...If you leave it up to the user, well......Don't beta test the product on my "dollar"....The proof is not spelled out since they are still working the directions here....

I also cannot say if Lc20 or ARX is better here (per MD). I know that LC20 can do 10,000 miles on (1) oil change and ARX still thinks 6,000 is "extended"...Figure out the $$ per oz here.

ARX is used less the %0.05 of the pop. If it was not for forums the product would not get anywhere...Case in point..

I am not saying anything is bad, but the same people keep posting on it..

I think both are good but the end user need to take into account the end price, what is dose, the customer service, service in use, etc..

Originally Posted By: dargo

I don't care either but it should be spelled out here...If you do not spell it out, the product will not get anywhere (as noted)...If you leave it up to the user, well......Don't beta test the product on my "dollar"....The proof is not spelled out since they are still working the directions here...

You're on an internet forum.

The actual directions are on the Auto RX site. Follow those.

That's the easiest way to get good, repeatable results.

However, for those that want to test opportunities on their own dime, I think that is their choice. Don't be a beta tester if you don't want to. Follow the directions, not internet forum banter.

I really like the fact that folks like Barkerman experiment around.....and I like the fact that Frank takes an interest in it.
Some folks in a position like his would put the blinders on and go with what they have decided.

Me.....I added a MD of my newly arrived order of ARX......same way I add seasoning when I cook........shook the bottle.....tipped it up....and slopped some in.......oopps....I think I ended up with 4-5 ounces.
I'm not sweating over it......I'm sure that it is just fine.
Barkerman's post tells me that it most likely was a good thing.
I am perfectly happy with the ARX product.....and learned about it by reading about it on this site.
I plan to continue using it....(shooting more for the 3-4 ounce dose....).

As mentioned.....this is an internet forum......a particular forum that attracts folks who like to experiment a bit with the brew in the crankcase.

Well put Wiswind. ARX has quite a bit of flexibilty, in that all the indegients are geared towards lubrication, yet the product is toted as an in situ cleaner. Regarding the ideal maintenance dose it will eventually come down to cost effectiveness. At this point I am very satisfied with the currently published dose for maintaining a clean oiling system, after the full blown cleaning and rinse mode.

I also think that oil companies have finally gotten the message that improvements to their products in the arena of maintaining cleanliness has come of age. At least that is what all they seem to be advertizing these days. But somehow they can just advertize that their new products, formulated in this direction, and we are all supposed to believe them. Don't expect any formulation divulsion or stats to back up the claims.

Originally Posted By: Rick20
At this point I am very satisfied with the currently published dose for maintaining a clean oiling system, after the full blown cleaning and rinse mode.

That being the new universal 3oz?

Correct, my point being.....I am not worried about a ounce either way.....in my already ARX cleaned and rinsed engine.
I plan to put the rest of the bottle that I opened into my tranny.......which the ARX site calls for 6 oz to add to the transmission.
I will further modify the transmission plan by adding a Magnefine in-line filter to the cooler line to help clean up the fluid.......before changing it at the ARX website recommended 1000 miles.....having followed this process last year.

The way that I read what Frank has on the Auto-RX website.....and what he has stated in THIS thread.....
Add 3 ounces at each oil change for a maintenance dose.
Some motor applications may benefit from an extra ounce.
There are a LOT of variables from one engine / driving conditions to the next......some motors would be fine with a 2 ounce dose......and the 3 ounce dose "wastes" 1 ounce of product each time......
Or, one could look at it like I do.......the extra ounce is an extra ounce of protection.
In all honesty.....I don't know if my motor / driving conditions truely fall into a 2 ounce or 3 ounce application.
Rather than worry about it.......use the product as directed.....and be confident that it will do as stated.

Barkerman is doing some research on the 4 ounce dose in a couple of applications.....but that does NOT represent a change in the Auto-RX instructions that are posted on the Auto-RX website.

Last edited:
For those questioning the use of Auto-Rx and the test level of dosing vs the established level I would like to know if you are using the product? This testing I'm doing is done without prompting from Frank and he has given me access to wealth of knowledge about the product from Frank. This product is not a shot in the dark or a lucky happenstance. It comes from actual lab development and real world testing. The very attitude that brought about the original design is now leading to a look at what else the product can do. This exposed the product to a second look and if there are faults in it they just might show up. I am testing it in every thing from hard core racing engines to hopped street engines to daily drivers. I do this engine work anyhow and I'm curious enough about how the stuff really works. I plan on expanding my work and including lab work but only as I can afford it. Like Frank I'm not a big budget operation.

Around the first of the year a blender in Huntington Beach wanted me to figure out how to blend Auto-Rx with his GII+ oil for a finished product but wanted the dose of Auto-Rx to be cut below the point where it is effective. This was the start of the idea that the maintenance dose had been overlooked by me and then came the idea of other size maintenance doses. Frank has done a lot of work with a past BITOG member and I've joined in. It's not full time work and it's not on the front burner but It's been going on for a while now. By the way, blending the product with the right GIII oil might just produce a very good product.

If Auto-Rx was a big budget operation there would be fancy bottles and there would be one for clean and rinse, and two or three different maintenance does bottles, different colors and with a mixing chamber that would give the different maintenance doses. He would put his product in the parts stores and in the hand of jobbers and you would see it in various other advertising campaigns. Frank would have to either double the price or cut the formula. So far none of that has happened. The product has remained true to the original formula.

If taking a look at what else the product can do bothers you, stick to the current instructions. They work. Beta testing is the wrong label. Call it field testing. By the way, I'll have some numbers and info to post by this weekend. Right now I have a paying customer to listen to. He's first in line.

Originally Posted By: sprintman
I'll be using 6oz maintenance dose in a BMW 6.9 quart sump. You work out my ratio. 'Universal' 3oz dose is a mistake IMO.

Well then you would have had an issue with the old 2oz/3oz plan.

I always thought it was 2 oz in a clean burning engine and that 3 oz was more of a one size fits all. I have been using the 2 oz in all of my cars.

i put in 3oz's in my corollas 4.5quart sump and 3oz's in my girlfriends explorer 5 quart sump and dont worry about it

Originally Posted By: Ross
I always thought it was 2 oz in a clean burning engine and that 3 oz was more of a one size fits all. I have been using the 2 oz in all of my cars.

That was the old recommendation.

The dosing I'm working on is based on the engine and the severity of service, not the sump size. Sump size is not a factor beyond a reasonable range say from a little too small like a VW and a little bigger like a Porsche. It the engine that is getting hit by Auto-Rx that is important.

Figures in. Car 96 Volvo Turbo wagon. current odo reading 188,255. Auto-Rx standard treatment done at 146k miles. Oil then Red Line 5w-30. Current oil is RLI 10w-30HD. The RLI has been in for about 20k miles. Commute is about 45 miles one way during the week. First three tanks of fuel before maintenance dose are

25.9, 25.3, 25.8. Fill ups are done each weekend at Costco, same pump each time.

Next three tanks

25.9, 26.8, 27.2

If you throw out the first tank it looks like a 5% improvement. It appears that the process takes a few hundred miles to show an improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back