Auto Rx and high mileage oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would I need to do a periodic Rx cleaning if I am using a high mileage oil? Since High Mileage oils already contain esters, wouldn;t these esters have the same effect as a 3oz maintenace dose of Rx added to regular dino?

Educate me!
smile.gif

I did Auto RX in two vehicles, a 93 mazda V6 and a
87 4 cyl. honda accord, and it helped both run smoother. I personally will not buy this again since I use another forum and many of the guys swear by a kerosene flush. Basically 1 qt. of dino and the rest kero and run 5/10 min IDLING, then flush a couple times w/ dino again. Seems to
work very well in removing deposits, but I'm leary
since my cars both have over 100K. Maybe 1 qt.of
oil replaced with kerosene just before an oil change, and let it run 20 min?? Seems like this would not be as harsh on varnish/deposits around seals that a full kero flush might cause to leak.
Many swear by it though...
If I were you I'd just use the hi mileage oil if it's working ok for you.

quote:

Originally posted by daze:
I did Auto RX in two vehicles, a 93 mazda V6 and a
87 4 cyl. honda accord, and it helped both run smoother. I personally will not buy this again since I use another forum and many of the guys swear by a kerosene flush. Basically 1 qt. of dino and the rest kero and run 5/10 min IDLING, then flush a couple times w/ dino again. Seems to
work very well in removing deposits, but I'm leary
since my cars both have over 100K. Maybe 1 qt.of
oil replaced with kerosene just before an oil change, and let it run 20 min?? Seems like this would not be as harsh on varnish/deposits around seals that a full kero flush might cause to leak.
Many swear by it though...
If I were you I'd just use the hi mileage oil if it's working ok for you.

The difference between that and Auto-RX is you won't break off huge chuncks of sludgy crud that could potentially plug up the oil pump pickup screen. Auto-RX is a much less harsh process, and I think it will dissolve carbon/sludge from the ringlands of pistons better than any harsh solvent could, because it is in your engine for 1500 miles.

Yeah.. I don't like the "kerosene flush" idea either.
frown.gif

Anyway, here is more....

I did the Rx treatment at 70k, and I have been using 3oz in my dino oil at every oil change. I am planning to switch to HM oil, and I am wondering if I can just forget about using Rx again, since I will have an ester-fortified oil. Won't the esters in HM oil do the same thing as a maintenance dose?

I would say, yes, to an extent. The HM oils will probably be a bit better than GF-3 oils as far as cleanliness, but Auto-RX will do better yet.

quote:

Originally posted by novadude:
Why would I need to do a periodic Rx cleaning if I am using a high mileage oil? Since High Mileage oils already contain esters, wouldn;t these esters have the same effect as a 3oz maintenace dose of Rx added to regular dino?

Educate me!
smile.gif

Getting back to the original question, any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back