Auto related draw to Tennessee

Australian car charging company is going to build a plant there and all the other car companies that have. Just wonder other incentives there getting beyond tax and infrastructure or have they given away the farm like Foxxconn in Wisconsin. What is the big draw to the state other than plants are non union.

No income tax, I live in Chattanooga home of the VW plant. A 9.25% sales tax on everything. Yes, hot humid summers, rains from Dec thru March. VW was given incentives to build here, not sure the incentives ever balance out the contribution to the community, especially when people move here, no infrastructure to support the increase, poor road system etc. The battery plant will be in Memphis as Ford is going to build an assembly plant there so a boon for the area. The politicians only care about growth and jobs not what happens after they occur. If no infrastructure in place we will become another Nashville and Atlanta with the traffic issues. Politicians only care wbout what makes them look good, job growth, economy, infrastructure horrendous, sewers overflow in parts of the city in heavy rain, all roads need repair, secondary roads, just horrendous but they keep building sub divisions. Growth is good, un controlled growth will eventually be a disaster. TN a red state and a strong member of the bible belt! Depending on where you are form it can be culture shock.

No state income tax and it's relatively central to plants of other automakers (Nissan, Toyota, VW, Benz, Kia, Hyundai, BMW)

No income tax, I live in Chattanooga home of the VW plant. A 9.25% sales tax on everything. Yes, hot humid summers, rains from Dec thru March. VW was given incentives to build here, not sure the incentives ever balance out the contribution to the community, especially when people move here, no infrastructure to support the increase, poor road system etc. The battery plant will be in Memphis as Ford is going to build an assembly plant there so a boon for the area. The politicians only care about growth and jobs not what happens after they occur. If no infrastructure in place we will become another Nashville and Atlanta with the traffic issues. Politicians only care wbout what makes them look good, job growth, economy, infrastructure horrendous, sewers overflow in parts of the city in heavy rain, all roads need repair, secondary roads, just horrendous but they keep building sub divisions. Growth is good, un controlled growth will eventually be a disaster. TN a red state and a strong member of the bible belt! Depending on where you are form it can be culture shock.
You do know that your sewers were purposely designed that way. City of Atlanta had this problem years ago but they managed to fix it to the tune of a Billion or more. They even brought in one the drilling platforms used to dig the Chunnel (Tunnel between UK and France).

You dont really need "incentives" like northern states.
:eek: I suppose N.C. didn’t get the memo! We just landed a huge deal from a collaboration of Toyota and Panasonic for a ev battery manufacturing plant in Randolph county with “help” from the state, county, local utilities etc. Same for a new startup supersonic airliner manufacturer called “Boom Supersonic“ (think small version of the Concorde) that will be located at the PTIA in Greensboro, N.C. Having Honda Jet already manufacturing their corporate jets at the PTI airport was most likely an incentive for Boom Supersonic to locate in N.C. as well. Both companies will create high paying manufacturing jobs but not without a bit of corporate welfare thrown in which it seems is a necessary evil nowadays.

Miller 88 says it ^^^
You dont really need "incentives" like northern states. The low costs of the South are organic and real. No phony stuff, come here and build, people will work and government wont take all your profits in taxes.

Funny, even states like Tennessee play the game with incentives. The latest Ford EV project in Tennessee as an example is costing the state about $100,000 per job created...

Same just a little more North and West.. around Kentucky.. the fourth Commonwealth! :D

Well, except for no income tax. That only means higher in other areas.

Build next to a refinery.......

:eek: I suppose N.C. didn’t get the memo! We just landed a huge deal from a collaboration of Toyota and Panasonic for a ev battery manufacturing plant in Randolph county with “help” from the state, county, local utilities etc. Same for a new startup supersonic airliner manufacturer called “Boom Supersonic“ (think small version of the Concorde) that will be located at the PTIA in Greensboro, N.C. Having Honda Jet already manufacturing their corporate jets at the PTI airport was most likely an incentive for Boom Supersonic to locate in N.C. as well. Both companies will create high paying manufacturing jobs but not without a bit of corporate welfare thrown in which it seems is a necessary evil nowadays.
Wait until Mazda adopts the Toyota Manufacturing Process at that Tennessee ? plant. Joint venture.

Oops...

The ability to pay people $7.25 starving wages
Your off by over 100%
Volkswagen starting base salary in TN is a min of $17.50 an hour, plus incredible, almost unmatched medical benefits including PTO from any other corporation in other states that you might think are better. This is the min pay for an off the street unskilled worker with a high school education.

" With overtime, bonus and shift differential, production employees have an earning potential of around $46 per hour, and maintenance employees can earn up to around $58 per hour on off-shift overtime."

Repeat = this is for their entry level employees, first year income, typical incomes after the first year increase 12 to 15% a year for EACH of the first five years PLUS cost of living increases on top of those percentages.

_____
Ps to some others = I think you may have taken my post about state incentives a little too literally. :unsure: and maybe with good reason I cold have worded that better.
(there will always be an incentive of some sort)

Last edited:
Your off by over 100%
Volkswagen starting base salary in TN is a min of $17.50 an hour, plus incredible, almost unmatched medical benefits including PTO from any other corporation in other states that you might think are better. This is the min pay for an off the street unskilled worker with a high school education.

" With overtime, bonus and shift differential, production employees have an earning potential of around $46 per hour, and maintenance employees can earn up to around $58 per hour on off-shift overtime."

Repeat = this is for their entry level employees, first year income, typical incomes after the first year increase 12 to 15% a year for EACH of the first five years PLUS cost of living increases on top of those percentages.

_____
Ps to some others = I think you may have taken my post about state incentives a little too literally. :unsure: and maybe with good reason I cold have worded that better.
(there will always be an incentive of some sort)
They throw money at people to get them in.

Now I know why they wait as long as they can to show them the floor, production floor that is...

$11 an hour average, so when you set the floor so low, it looks appealing to still pay people absolute trash wages. That's average. Lots of people under that as well.

You do know this thread is about the auto industry, you will need to go and update your information and the link.
It’s grossly incorrect regarding the automotive industry.

I already posted the correct information a few posts above this. Which is much higher.

By the way, here using your criteria, this is your average factory worker in your home state of Arizona.

Last edited:
Mild climate, low taxes, non union workforce ...
More specifically low property cost, relatively low property tax (Alabama is cheaper), low energy cost (TVA), no state income tax, low cost of living (desirable to both employees and management). Business friendly legislative environment..
This can mean both a higher standard of living for employees and lower coat for the manufacturer.

Tennessee is likely the cheapest place in the country for a manufacturer to do business.

Nashville Metro Area is a major banking hub and recently is becoming a favored location for corporate headquarters as well.

Back