Audi's CEO is "Going Lutz"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: addyguy
Ummm...burning coal doesn't emit radiation, silly!

:p
33.gif
People working at the power plants would be getting cancer in record numbers... My brother worked in a power plant in France (near the German border) one summer for his engineering program and was educated on the safety of radiation and what precautions are taken to ensure workers do not see any more radiation than you would see at a yearly checkup at the dentists office during X-Rays.
wink.gif

They also can't emit anymore than these levels into cooling water, air emissions from the plant etc. and are closely monitored by a Government agency... (At least in Canada/France anyways)

If you knew what amounts were talking about then you would know. Anything that's in the coal gets burned and sent out the stack. thorium, U-238, various other hard metals, its all in the coal and its all in the air.

The only emissions from a nuke plant are water vapors.

True burning coal is a dirty business, and capturing and sequestering the CO2 and other emissions is difficult, expensive, and inefficient. The compact fluorescent bulbs are a disposal problem due to the mercury, but what about the additional mercury emitted to power incandescent bulbs that last far less long? Radiation? Yes. More than a nuclear plant? Not worth arguing about because both are too low to hurt much. We don't even have conclusive evidence that CO2 is a problem.

I have to agree that long range we need to look at life style and infrastructure changes to reduce energy usage. Perhaps the government needs to be taking a look at all the regulations and ask if the ones requiring a waste of energy are worth it.

any one else see the setup where they where trying to pass CO2 gas through algae to help it grow faster and hold the CO2 that was released from the pant. Then take that algae and use it to make diesel or something. I guess you could put it a couple thousand feet under ground if you wanted to.

Originally Posted By: labman
Ah hydrogen. Just a few major break throughs on producing it, storing it, and transporting it.

I'm just glad you were not influential during the stone age, either. We'd all be throwing our hands up in the air while we proclaimed that bronze just wasn't worth the effort, let alone something crazily exotic like iron!

Originally Posted By: Dualie
If you knew what amounts were talking about then you would know. Anything that's in the coal gets burned and sent out the stack. thorium, U-238, various other hard metals, its all in the coal and its all in the air.

But it's a special kind of water. The reactors around here leak tritium on an occasional basis.

Originally Posted By: oilyriser
Originally Posted By: Dualie

But it's a special kind of water. The reactors around here leak tritium on an occasional basis.

They do? Maybe Darlington before they started refurbishing it.....

"DO you have any reports or white papers to back that up? and water and water vapor are the only things coming out of a cooling tower and a redactor"

http://www.sierraclub.ca/national/progra...m-chg-6-01.html

"# In 1983, a pressure tube in Pickering Reactor #2 ruptured, dumping coolant into the reactor building. This accident resulted in the retubing of all four reactors at the Pickering "A" Nuclear Station, at a cost of about $1 billion (Cdn) -- more than the original cost of the station.

# In August 1992, a tube-break in Pickering Reactor #1 dumped 2,000 litres of heavy water contaminated with 2,300 trillion becquerels of radioactive tritium into Lake Ontario. It was the largest tritium release in CANDU history, shutting down a nearby drinking water plant, and raising tritium levels in Toronto drinking water. Tritium causes cancer and birth defects.

# In December 1994, Pickering reactor #2 had a major Loss of Coolant Accident (LOCA) spilling 185 tonnes of heavy water. The Emergency Core Cooling System (ECCS) was used for the first time ever at a CANDU reactor to prevent a meltdown.

# In May 1995, a valve failure caused a 25 tonne leak of radioactive heavy water at Bruce Reactor #5. This accident involved the same equipment which caused the December 1994 LOCA at Pickering reactor #2.

# In February 1996, 500 tonnes of water spilled from the Pickering #6 reactor. Primary and backup heat sinks were lost in the reactor core. A 30 kg. valve component blew two metres into the air, narrowly missing a worker, and service water shot up to the reactor building dome.

# In April 1996, Pickering reactor #4 had a heavy water leak that released 50 trillion becquerels of tritium into Lake Ontario. The level of tritium in local drinking water reached 100 times background level. "

http://www.friendsofbruce.ca/Special Reports/Tritium_in_Drinking_Water_Notes.html
"At the Bruce nuclear complex, tritium is released to the station cooling water effluent stream (Condenser Cooling Water) which discharges into Lake Huron."

right from our gubbermint website
http://nuclearsafety.gc.ca/pubs_catalogue/uploads/I210 r11_e.pdf

The Pickering incidents don't surprise me. Got a list of the ones from Darlington?

I am surprised about Bruce. I know a couple people who work there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back