Attempting to swap the Jetta...

This reminds me of my Dad's 2001 Silverado. Tailgate fell off so Chevy repainted tailgate which he didn't want cause it was red which we all knows fades quickly. It matched perfectly so he had them agree to repaint if faded different but he wrecked it in rear quarter of bed which needed a special repair as it cracked again a perfect match. Fast forward and Dad passed on so truck sat then brother bought it but now original paint is finished. He called me asking history since he lived out of state when dad first bought it so I passed this on and he stated I must of been mistaken cause tailgate and bed match but rest of truck is faded on top of all panels. Point is a good paint shop will match paint but it will fade differently depending upon color. My red Tacoma was to be repainted with less than 2 years old after paint was coming off after each wash but an accident week before got sections repainted much to my dismay. Never did fade evenly but paint from Shop never did fade so it looked terrible so I let truck go back. Major accident, bad Toyota paint and Toyota fought me on everything after warranty. Toyota wouldn't even replace windshield with debris in between glass since new.

If they were to repair it and it wasn't satisfactory, there is no way they are going to do anything anything more for me. They would claim it was an acceptable repair, then I would be stuck with a poor matching paint job for the next decade (or however long we own it). That would burn me up. I would rather them not touch it at all.
Have you owned any vehicle for 10 or more years yet?
You obsess over detailing them and then don't even keep them that long. Great for the next owner, I guess.
I think that this thread is just one more symptom of your OCD - and there are others. I'm glad that you like your cars, and feel free to ignore my comments - just adding my 2 cents. (there is more to life than a clean car)

I think a way for them to make you whole, is to put a guarantee that the paint won't get worse, or they will fix it for free. Along with an extended warranty for the rest of the car (120k bumper to bumper or so).

If they were to repair it and it wasn't satisfactory, there is no way they are going to do anything anything more for me. They would claim it was an acceptable repair, then I would be stuck with a poor matching paint job for the next decade (or however long we own it). That would burn me up. I would rather them not touch it at all.

I've read a lot of posts lately about how good paint shops are these days and "you won't even be able to tell". There was just a thread on here recently about a late model Nissan Rogue having a fender repainted. Guess what, you can see clearly the bumper and fender don't match. Again, I know of a few specific incidents of repaints *at good shops* that don't match the rest of the body panels. Why on earth would I chance that?

It's ok, I am really not here to argue with anyone. I just wanted to share my experience with my BITOG family and keep record of this process. I'm continuing to move forward with it. We will see what VW has to say. Stay safe everyone.
That's the thing, you "read" about bad paint jobs, but doesn't look like you have any actual experience and your OCD is shooting through the roof just at the thought. This is like reporting problems with cars, you mostly hear about negative experiences because people with positive experiences don't feel compelled to report on them.

I will give you my limited experience.
My 2015 Grand Caravan needed a front bumper and right quarter panel changed and painted when it was about 2 years old. It was stolen out of the driveway because my BIL left it running unattended. The color is a perfect match to me and my wife and it is silver, not excaclty the easiest color to match.. The only defect is that they installed it when the paint wasn't fully cured yet and the radio antenna base, dug into the paint when it was screwed down. My wife picked the car up, as I was out of the country, so it stayed this way.

My 2006 mazda 3 was rear ended about two years ago. The trunk and rear bumper were re-pained and yet again the paint is a perfect match on a 14 year old paint and Mazda black is not solid, but has flakes in it. There was a defect, on the trunk the paint has a small run in it. An easy fix, but I let it go because it's not really noticeable and the car is old anyways. I was actually surprised it was no written off by the insurance company.

They can get the re-sprays an exact match, can't they? (Of affected panel.)

I once was due to have a panel re-sprayed and I too was afraid it would not be a match.. Always did wonder how re-spraying a panel to match the whole rest of the car worked, without re-spraying whole car to ensure a match.

Can you tell that my whole front end was repainted and properly blended out when my car was 1 year old. Yeah, I can’t either. So, 87,000 miles and 5 years after the accident it still looks good.

Attachments

• 2A2DDCDC-F4FB-4F57-A2F2-5A0E110D9405.jpeg
    2A2DDCDC-F4FB-4F57-A2F2-5A0E110D9405.jpeg
    155.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 1D611638-A94D-47E4-A807-D9129B190D3E.jpeg
    1D611638-A94D-47E4-A807-D9129B190D3E.jpeg
    172.2 KB · Views: 28
They can get the re-sprays an exact match, can't they? (Of affected panel.)

I once was due to have a panel re-sprayed and I too was afraid it would not be a match.. Always did wonder how re-spraying a panel to match the whole rest of the car worked, without re-spraying whole car to ensure a match.
As I previously mentioned-I got a couple of panel repaints past major used car dealership's appraisers.....so yea -you cant tell on a good job. And all of these trades were $12,000.00 and $25,000.00 -not cheap.

That's the thing, you "read" about bad paint jobs, but doesn't look like you have any actual experience and your OCD is shooting through the roof just at the thought. This is like reporting problems with cars, you mostly hear about negative experiences because people with positive experiences don't feel compelled to report on them.

I will give you my limited experience.
My 2015 Grand Caravan needed a front bumper and right quarter panel changed and painted when it was about 2 years old. It was stolen out of the driveway because my BIL left it running unattended. The color is a perfect match to me and my wife and it is silver, not excaclty the easiest color to match.. The only defect is that they installed it when the paint wasn't fully cured yet and the radio antenna base, dug into the paint when it was screwed down. My wife picked the car up, as I was out of the country, so it stayed this way.

My 2006 mazda 3 was rear ended about two years ago. The trunk and rear bumper were re-pained and yet again the paint is a perfect match on a 14 year old paint and Mazda black is not solid, but has flakes in it. There was a defect, on the trunk the paint has a small run in it. An easy fix, but I let it go because it's not really noticeable and the car is old anyways. I was actually surprised it was no written off by the insurance company.

I DO have actual experience. Some family and friends vehicles that have required body work over the years, and the thread I read was just recently posted here with pictures showing the different color panels. So you can see it too.

Also, you are proving my point. You just admitted both of your paint jobs had issues.

VW called today and said they will offer 10% trade in assistance toward a new or CPO VW. That figure would hardly cover tax, much less the depreciation of our current one. I will be requesting a trade in assistance that would be the equivalent of swapping the car with a new one as originally requested.

Modern Body Shops - Paint Shops are miracle workers. A good shop can match the paint PERFECT. They use some kind of optical thing to mix the paint in house.

Following is two examples.

Car one. Had a small accident requiring the front bumper cover and left front fender to be replaced at local dealer body shop.
White MetalFlake. Not only was the repaint matched PER FECT, but also looking at where the fender is bolted to the car, even the bolts are painted. Looks like when it came from the factory.

Car two. Purchased used. I knew the hood and front bumper cover were rough. Got a great price because of it. My neighbor works at the same dealer body shop as above. He also does work on his own. He took photo of my VIN. to verify paint code. Car is a dark metal flake. Put some kind of optical device on the paint. Rented time and space at same body shop over the weekend. Took car to shop at 5pm on Saturday. Returned at 5pm on Sunday. Prepared car Saturday night. Painted Sunday. Put car in large oven to “bake” paint, at 150F for an hour or two. Put everything back together. Paint was PERFECT.
BTW, in that hour or two that the paint was baking, he changed a windshield on another neighbors BMW windshield.
I’ve also seen him paint someone’s old car in his garage. (Hope city don’t find out -only seen it once).

This neighbor can do anything. Seen him install his own new A/C unit in his house. Seen him help other neighbors with problems. Like I said, he can do anything and he helps his neighbors.

Modern Body Shops - Paint Shops are miracle workers. A good shop can match the paint PERFECT. They use some kind of optical thing to mix the paint in house.

Following is two examples.

Car one. Had a small accident requiring the front bumper cover and left front fender to be replaced at local dealer body shop.
White MetalFlake. Not only was the repaint matched PER FECT, but also looking at where the fender is bolted to the car, even the bolts are painted. Looks like when it came from the factory.

Car two. Purchased used. I knew the hood and front bumper cover were rough. Got a great price because of it. My neighbor works at the same dealer body shop as above. He also does work on his own. He took photo of my VIN. to verify paint code. Car is a dark metal flake. Put some kind of optical device on the paint. Rented time and space at same body shop over the weekend. Took car to shop at 5pm on Saturday. Returned at 5pm on Sunday. Prepared car Saturday night. Painted Sunday. Put car in large oven to “bake” paint, at 150F for an hour or two. Put everything back together. Paint was PERFECT.
BTW, in that hour or two that the paint was baking, he changed a windshield on another neighbors BMW windshield.
I’ve also seen him paint someone’s old car in his garage. (Hope city don’t find out -only seen it once).

This neighbor can do anything. Seen him install his own new A/C unit in his house. Seen him help other neighbors with problems. Like I said, he can do anything and he helps his neighbors.
If VW can't meet us somewhere we will likely keep our current Jetta. My wife and I both love it, if the spot ever gets worse / paint fails we would likely have it repainted at that time. I just can't get on board with painting a brand new car.

Another update. VW authorized 15% trade in assistance. Still trying to find out if this is off of negotiated price or MSRP. Our dealer no longer has any 2020 S models with the auto. So looking at a white SE model if we can get pricing worked out. If this increases or payment all bets are off and we will hold on to our current S model in Silk Blue. Both of us love our existing car other than the paint flaw.

Another update. VW authorized 15% trade in assistance. Still trying to find out if this is off of negotiated price or MSRP. Our dealer no longer has any 2020 S models with the auto. So looking at a white SE model if we can get pricing worked out. If this increases or payment all bets are off and we will hold on to our current S model in Silk Blue. Both of us love our existing car other than the paint flaw.
If you want to get out of this with no financial difference, your payment will need to be lower. Let's say you did 60 months at $350 a month, if you payment is $350 with the new one, you still have 60 months left minus what you've already paid for the current one. Unless there was a deal with 3 months no payments on the current one or something.

If you want to get out of this with no financial difference, your payment will need to be lower. Let's say you did 60 months at $350 a month, if you payment is $350 with the new one, you still have 60 months left minus what you've already paid for the current one. Unless there was a deal with 3 months no payments on the current one or something.
Thank you Nick for pointing this you, yes I am aware.

This is the reason I never buy a vehicle after dark. They all look good at night.
Yep, this was my personal first new car purchase. I am the OCD type so I'm surprised at myself that I wasn't more thorough. I think I simply assumed that it was new that such an issue wouldn't be present. We did a quick once over to check for scratches / dents but obviously missed the blemish.

An SE is ~3000.00 more than an S new, getting a new SE for the same money as an S again seems to push the bounds of reasonable...

Best of luck though...

This is the reason I never buy a vehicle after dark. They all look good at night.
Dusk however reveals repaints. I noticed over and over my 2004 WRX had a different silver at dusk light even when new a few weeks out.

I went to dealer to get vehicle history on a major maintenance for next buyer 7 years later/75k and they gave me entire history since car delivery. I found out it was damaged presale and fixed at local body shop. Sold as new.

Someone else posted online that they were receiving 15% off MSRP "trade assist" due to issues with a 2018 Atlas. Seems like this is some sort of standard VW peace offering.

My guess is you would get 15% off the MSRP of whatever replacement Jetta you were interested in. If the new SE you are looking at has an MSRP of $24K, you would get "assistance" of $3600 off. You would have to see if the offer letter mentioned anything about also being eligible for any incentives available as well, or if it is one of those "not to be combined with any other incentives" kind of deals.

You would trade your old Jetta in the typical fashion, meaning the dealer would give you a trade-in offer. Current average KBB trade-in value of a 2020 Jetta in very good/excellent condition is $13.5K. The intent of the 15% off is to help offset any negative equity you might have on the old 2020. If the 15% doesn't make you whole, you would either have to put more money down or roll the negative equity in to the loan for the replacement.

VW isn't going to offer anything that will end up putting them or the retailer in the red.

Someone else posted online that they were receiving 15% off MSRP "trade assist" due to issues with a 2018 Atlas. Seems like this is some sort of standard VW peace offering.

My guess is you would get 15% off the MSRP of whatever replacement Jetta you were interested in. If the new SE you are looking at has an MSRP of $24K, you would get "assistance" of $3600 off. You would have to see if the offer letter mentioned anything about also being eligible for any incentives available as well, or if it is one of those "not to be combined with any other incentives" kind of deals.

You would trade your old Jetta in the typical fashion, meaning the dealer would give you a trade-in offer. Current average KBB trade-in value of a 2020 Jetta in very good/excellent condition is $13.5K. The intent of the 15% off is to help offset any negative equity you might have on the old 2020. If the 15% doesn't make you whole, you would either have to put more money down or roll the negative equity in to the loan for the replacement.

VW isn't going to offer anything that will end up putting them or the retailer in the red.
Well today I signed. They gave me well above KBB on our trade and nearly 20% off MSRP. So I’d say VW / the dealer pulled through.
I washed it tonight and from what I can see all looks well. Bought with 13 miles on it.

Attachments

• 6E92AC99-1C05-4F80-9261-4D58DECFFC08.jpeg
    6E92AC99-1C05-4F80-9261-4D58DECFFC08.jpeg
    304.8 KB · Views: 21
Back