Attempting to swap the Jetta...

Different in origin, as I said. End result is still a paint flaw on the car, either way.

VW sold him a car that has what appears to be a manufacturing defect in the paint. How you somehow associated it with getting door dings and demanding your insurance repaint the car is beyond me.

Last thing I want to mention is, if as you say, you are going to leave the car outside, you will be getting "uneven fading" regardless. Think how much sun the horizontal surfaces absorb vs. the vertical surfaces. Roof, trunk lid, and hood, vs. all side panels. Uneven fading and eventual dings are coming, regardless. Good luck.

Why you use that as an argument is beyond me. So what, just because the car will wear out eventually I shouldn't care about it now? Why bother buying a new car? We should all save money and driving boring, dull beaters.

VW sold him a car that has what appears to be a manufacturing defect in the paint. How you somehow associated it with getting door dings and demanding your insurance repaint the car is beyond me.

I guess it really is "beyond you". Try to open your mind a tiny bit and comprehend:

A paint flaw is a paint flaw. If a 1 inch flaw came from the factory, OR, it was caused by a rock or a parking lot ding, its a flaw, period.

The car don't care where it came from or how it originated. It just needs to be fixed. The owner wants to remedy the issue, and VW apparently tried 2X to satisfy him, but thats not good enough for him. He wants a whole brand new car. So, if the owner wants a whole new car from VW for a factory flaw, then why on earth would he settle just for a "fix" of a rock or parking lot ding from his insurance Co.?

Last edited:
I guess it really is "beyond you". Try to open your mind a tiny bit and comprehend:

A paint flaw is a paint flaw. If a 1 inch flaw came from the factory, OR, it was caused by a rock or a parking lot ding, its a flaw, period.

The car don't care where it came from or how it originated. It just needs to be fixed. The owner wants to remedy the issue, and VW apparently tried 2X to satisfy him, but thats not good enough for him. He wants a whole brand new car. So, if the owner wants a whole new car from VW for a factory flaw, then why on earth would he settle just for a "fix" of a rock or parking lot ding from his insurance Co.?

Have a wonderful day.

. It is VW's responsibility to fix their flaw in a way that satisfies the customer and bring the car back to NEW condition.
Assuming that the "flaw" is something covered by the warranty, then yes it is VW's responsibility to do whatever the warranty specifies. Otherwise it is not VW's responsibility and they may address the flaw, or not at their choice.

Because, I PAID for that paint flaw. A rock chip is an "act of God", and somewhat uncontrollable. A factory defect is not up to standard and needs to be remedied by the manufacturer. Also, VW has not tried to satisfy me at this point. I contacted them and they asked me what my preferred remedy was. I told them what I wanted and they got the ball rolling. I haven't heard back yet.

Because, I PAID for that paint flaw. A rock chip is an "act of God", and somewhat uncontrollable. A factory defect is not up to standard and needs to be remedied by the manufacturer. Also, VW has not tried to satisfy me at this point. I contacted them and they asked me what my preferred remedy was. I told them what I wanted and they got the ball rolling. I haven't heard back yet.
Probably waiting for the laughter to die down.

That wasn’t meant to be insulting as much as it was to predict VAG’s initial reaction to being asked for a new vehicle due to a minor paint flaw.

I used to work for an OEM finance captive many years ago, and I can assure you OEM’s get many more requests that are “funnier” than this. Since this is a MY2020 vehicle I can almost guarantee the customer service rep for VAG didn’t think this was a silly request.

Well like I said, maybe not, once the laughter stopped. After that the discussion would be of a different nature for sure.

We'll see how desperate VAG really is.

My rep just called. The case has been moved up and will take 6 weeks before they come to a determination on buy back. She said she will let me know by December 10th. I think she was expecting me to go on a tirade with that lengthy timeline but I never expected an answer that quick.

Tesla delivers cars all the time with paint flaws. They just pay some local shop to fix it.

Tesla delivers cars all the time with paint flaws. They just pay some local shop to fix it.
The quality of aftermarket jobs is always suspect.

I had a 2004 WRX that always suspected something was up with a certain silver panel in certain light (early evening before sundown). Low and behold the dealer handed me three page summary of all work performed since car delivered. It including fixing that very fender before pawned off as a new car.

The quality of aftermarket jobs is always suspect.

I had a 2004 WRX that always suspected something was up with a certain silver panel in certain light (early evening before sundown). Low and behold the dealer handed me three page summary of all work performed since car delivered. It including fixing that very fender before pawned off as a new car.
Aftermarket is probably better than what Tesla can accomplish! VW usually does really nice paint work though. When i bought my Alltrack, the first one i was test driving was rear ended by somebody in front of the dealership. They still sold that one, just not to me, and i'm sure it was not disclosed. Repaired and Sold.

Did I miss the pics being posted showing what all this fuss is about?

Attachments

• IMG_4657.JPG
    IMG_4657.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 67
Back