Attempting to swap the Jetta...

This reminds me of the blemish you found on the Accord. Did you ever get that fixed? I think it was on the trunk lid if I recall.

My Accord was polished before I owned it, judging by the holograms it was not polished well! The paint is very thin on the trunk lid and I can see primer underneath the paint on the edge of the trunk lid. This is what you are referring too.

unfortunately the time to reject a car based on paint flaws is at delivery. Once you take delivery (accept the car) it is yours. Not to say they won't repaint something for you but if you don't want it painted there's not much else you can do.

I agree that is an ugly mark in the paint. It is best to always take delivery of a new car when you can examine it prior to acceptance. Had you noticed this flaw before accepting the car you could have had the dealer find you another car.

At this point you either accept a repaint or learn to live with it. Again, I would never break the factory paint if possible...it will never look the same nor be as durable.

Back at the dealer I worked for they would not have preemptively repaired that kind of mark.

Who gives that cert? The dealer doesn't strictly know. The first clue we get is that it has a few more miles than usual. I guess most damage occurs on the parking lots outside the factory followed by a trip to a repair location inside the factory. Goes from 3 miles to 9 miles upon delivery...
What you say is true. The dealer may not have been involved. But most dealerships have someone who is good at recognizing a repainted panel. So they know or could know if they bothered to check. I can't find those repainted panels. I can barely see the tiny defects when someone points them out to me.

If they certify that there has been no body damage or repainted panels you at least have somewhere to start if you later find out there was.

The body man who pointed out the repainted panel on my Solara told me that he's regularly asked to paint damaged panels on brand new high end cars as well. How would you feel if you found out that the hood on your brand new Porsche 911 had been repainted?

There is absolutely no question that higher than OEM quality paints 'could' be used if the shop chose.

I've been using PPG Deltron with very good results. It also holds up for a very long time!

red_xtra_resize.jpg

How would you feel if you found out that the hood on your brand new Porsche 911 had been repainted?

I'd be completely satisfied if the paint job was done properly and quality paints were used. Again, it's an absolute fallacy that OEM paints are the best, or the longest lasting.

Like I said we will see. Vw could have denied my initial request, but they didn’t. We are still moving forward.

How would you feel if you found out that the hood on your brand new Porsche 911 had been repainted?
Well...

The time to address that is at the time of delivery and I'm of the opinion that you either have the knowledge (and tools) to recognize things like this, or you won't (or shouldn't) care.

There is absolutely no question that higher than OEM quality paints 'could' be used if the shop chose.

I've been using PPG Deltron with very good results. It also holds up for a very long time!

red_xtra_resize.jpg

I'd be completely satisfied if the paint job was done properly and quality paints were used. Again, it's an absolute fallacy that OEM paints are the best, or the longest lasting.
I don't think the issue is the quality of the paints. As you say there are very good products available. Most likely the same as the manufacturer uses. The body guy I was talking to (who seemed to know a lot about painting and was the go-to guy for high end auto painting in a large city) said the issue is that paint shops don't have as dustless facilities as the manufacturers. And that's why there are tiny bits of dust in repainted panels.

I agree with rooflessVW.

What are they gonna do with your Jetta now if they replace it for you? Give it to someone else with a minor paint defect? If a paint touch up isn’t good enough for you, then it can’t be good enough for anyone else. In that case should they crush the car?

VW repairs and resells vehicles with issues as used. Typically carfax reveals the buyback. Not sure it would happen thought for paint issues. They would repair that.

What you say is true. The dealer may not have been involved. But most dealerships have someone who is good at recognizing a repainted panel. So they know or could know if they bothered to check. I can't find those repainted panels. I can barely see the tiny defects when someone points them out to me.

If they certify that there has been no body damage or repainted panels you at least have somewhere to start if you later find out there was.

The body man who pointed out the repainted panel on my Solara told me that he's regularly asked to paint damaged panels on brand new high end cars as well. How would you feel if you found out that the hood on your brand new Porsche 911 had been repainted?

I work at a dealership, i know what it's like. There's a lot more resprays out there than you think, especially for imports that went through many more hands. 10% of cars is my guess but some are done better than others and harder to spot

I would forget about it and move onto more pressing issues I had if it were mine.

The chances that spot will fester and cause clear delam at some point in the future while you still have the car are so remote they’re likely approaching statistic zero.

Odds are much higher the car will be wrecked or sold or never have a problem there.

Play the odds, the house always wins!

My father special ordered a 2010 Silverado back in 2010 and I was there with him when it rolled off the trailer. The passenger side bed panel had been repaired, albeit badly, before it even arrived. It was a bad repair too, the paint underneath the clear coat had toad skin like bumps. They offered to repaint it but my father refused, he didn’t want to harm the factory finish. It still looks just as terrible today as it did when new but it hasn’t gotten any worse.

If he got the new car he would have been on here already. The chances of that happening were near zero to zero.
While I agree, but I would imagine one should update on whatever the outcome is. He took his time to start the thread so it needs to be closed properly

Reactions: CKN
In 2000 I bought a new Jetta S with a M/T. After about a year, son #2 at college takes it to a Carmax one day to get an appraisal on a trade in. Ends up a front fender had been repainted before I took delivery. Without calling the sales department, I contacted the body shop at the selling dealer and obtained the work order for repainting fender, apparently caused by auto transport damage. Virginia consumer law requires this to be disclosed to the buyer prior to delivery, and the dealer failed to do so. So I got another Jetta, but it wasn't free. Think I had to pay about $600 after driving the first one for a year. Then two years later son #1 totaled the replacement Jetta.

While I agree, but I would imagine one should update on whatever the outcome is. He took his time to start the thread so it needs to be closed properly

Meh, he doesn’t owe anybody anything, this is the internet after all. Gregk24 is very active here so I’m sure eventually we’ll hear about any updates.

So what's the outcome here?

Sorry guys, I will be updating this thread throughout the process. I did go by the VW dealer today in fact. They took pictures and confirmed the spot in under the clear coat. The service writer insisted they take the car to "detail" to have it inspected. Knowing the car would likely come back with swirls galore from a poor dealership "detail" dept. I told him I had already done all I could do and determined the spot was under the clear coat. The only way that was coming out was by repainting.

He said it would have to go to detail to confirm. In 5 minutes the car was back and he told me they would send everything off to VW corporate. Thankfully nothing appeared to be damaged other than some light swirling. That's the least damage any of our cars have received coming out of that dealership.

I am supposed to receive a call from VW corporate on Monday or Tuesday with an update.

I will be updating you all throughout the process. Understand issues like this take time. Just today I had the scheduled dealer appointment to document the paint flaw. I should hear from VW corporate sometime early next week.

My new at the time 2006 Honda Odyssey had paint fail 3X in exactly the same spot. Fail as in "fell off". 3X the Honda dealer fixed it, the last fix finally took hold. Never once did I even think of demanding a whole new van. I think its over the top to even suggest that.

Even if a new VW was produced, what happens when the inevitible parking lot dings occour shortly thereafter? Paint chips from small road debris? Etc?

My new at the time 2006 Honda Odyssey had paint fail 3X in exactly the same spot. Fail as in "fell off". 3X the Honda dealer fixed it, the last fix finally took hold. Never once did I even think of demanding a whole new van. I think its over the top to even suggest that.

Even if a new VW was produced, what happens when the inevitible parking lot dings occour shortly thereafter? Paint chips from small road debris? Etc?

Not everyone cares as much as my wife and I. I get it.

Back