atf vs ps fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello everybody,

ive been reading for a few months now but this is my first post.

this might be a dumb question but what is the difference between atf and ps fluid in the ps system?
is there any benefit to using one or the other?

i've always used ps fluid just because of its name i assume it performs better for that application, but what do i know?

jim

You will need to check your owners manual to find out which type of fluid to use.
The manual for my '96 Windstar gives a FORD specification number...as well as the Motorcraft product name.
I did an internet search on the specification number, to find that it calls for a Type "F" ATF.
So, in my case "power steering fluid" is the wrong fluid for my power steering system.

Another note, if you do not have the owner's manual, you can do some research online to find the correct product for your vehicle.....in fact, you most likely can find a online version of your owner's manual at the vehicle manufactures website.

My GM yukon uses a GM lubricant that is clear and not PS fluid.....must be majic fluid made at the GM refinery.

offtopic.gif
not concerned so much about correct fluid, check the manual, duh. most applications call for ps fluid or atf. this post is to determine the difference in performance between these two options.

ATF has friction modifiers but both are basically hydraulic fluid. I would prefer a recent spec ATF over most generic ps fluids off the shelf unless it met the exact spec of my power steering system. And a synthetic ATF is always better in my opinion for cold and hot weather performance and steering gear longevity.

I will echo the synthetic being better for the power steering system. I noticed MUCH better cold weather performance.

Pentosin CHF 11S has been not performing well in the Audi systems it's specs for. It burns off, it gets hot an thins so far, it likely produces even more heat from the pump churning. iirc, it's 6cSt and the substitute I use is Mobil 1 ATF at 7.4cSt. Not a huge diff in visc, but Mobil 1 has a 176f higher flashpoint! Now, after a guy's system has run dry. overheated and partly cooked the seals, which do you think I recommend? I've used M1 ATF in a few CHF-11 cars and no more fluid loss. I think it is smoother too.

Quote:

Pentosin CHF 11S has been not performing well in the Audi systems it's specs for. It burns off, it gets hot an thins so far, it likely produces even more heat from the pump churning. iirc, it's 6cSt and the substitute I use is Mobil 1 ATF at 7.4cSt. Not a huge diff in visc, but Mobil 1 has a 176f higher flashpoint! Now, after a guy's system has run dry. overheated and partly cooked the seals, which do you think I recommend? I've used M1 ATF in a few CHF-11 cars and no more fluid loss. I think it is smoother too.

Thanks Auto-Union, I was tring to find first hand info from someone with on-hands knowledge of this product and how it performs, at $18-20 a pint
shocked.gif
.. Anything else or someone would like to chime in also.

i used some leftover Amsoil ATF in the PS of my montero and it's great. foams way less, lightened the effort required considerably, still looks cherry!

FWIW,
I've got a mixture of Castrol Type F ATF & Valvoline Synpower PSF in my '97 Expedition that calls for Type F ATF. Everything seems A-OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back