ATF recommendation for 2021 RX350

The MaxLife product is blended with an mid-tier additive package supplied by Afton Chemical.

The Extended Protection ATF is blended with a high end Infineum additive package.

There is a considerable difference between the two. You can't tell the difference between the two by looking at the PDS sheet, not even a VOA would show anything of significance. But the Infineum additive package is more advanced, specifically optimized to be compatible with all step shift automatics.

I presume, given their stated product names, that the Extended Protection is meant for longer OCIs? That being the case, would this not be similar to other topics of OCIs ? If one intends to OCI often, the MaxLife may be a better approach. If one intends to extend the OCIs, the Extended Protection may be a better choice? After all, the ROI may well be the tipping point for many who consider these products?

How is it that you're aware of the add-pack supplier info? That's not something they would have on the PI sheets either.

Wit the the addition of the CVT to the Max Life Packing it probably means that the formula has change.

I stop using it on my older Volvo's when the packaging change was made. 4 speed trans.

I presume, given their stated product names, that the Extended Protection is meant for longer OCIs?
I'm a lubrication enthusiast who enjoys diving into the details for fun, not as a job. While ATF (automatic transmission fluid) isn't the same as motor oil, I find both fascinating in their own ways. The filtration process in automatic transmissions is quite different from engines. The wear protection difference between a high-quality ATF and a premium ATF is small but noticeable. For daily drivers who don't push their cars hard, tow, or haul, there's really no significant difference between Valvoline MaxLife and Valvoline Extended Protection ATF.

But if you track your car or drive it hard, keeping the transmission under high torque, Valvoline Extended Protection can make a real difference. It’s not just about extending oil change intervals; it's about pushing your transmission harder without damaging it.

The additive package in Valvoline Extended Protection is the same as what's in Mobil 1 LV ATF HP (Dexron HP), Motul ATF VI, and all TES 668 licensed fluids. When I was looking for a better, easily available, and reasonably priced replacement for Hyundai SP4M and Lifeguard 8 fluids, I found that Mobil uses Infineum's top-notch stepshift automatic transmission fluid additive package. It took Infineum years to develop this universal package for all stepshift automatic transmissions, resulting in smooth and quick shifts. To get the full benefit, you'll need to reset adaptive values and trigger a relearn after switching to this fluid.

I also looked into TES 668 for transfer cases and noticed that the elemental composition of Delvac 1 668, Castrol TranSynd 668, and Valvoline Extended Protection ATF were almost identical, indicating the same Infineum DI package. This was confirmed by @Foxtrot08, who said Infineum supplies additives for all TES 668 fluids. It seems Infineum has nailed it with the best universal additive package for stepshift automatic transmissions.

For Valvoline MaxLife, they switched from Lubrizol to Afton Chemical. Afton had already developed an additive package that works in both stepshift and CVT automatics, which Castrol first used in their TransMax fluids. Now, you can find these products side-by-side in stores.

While Infineum's additive catalog and blending guide are hard to access, Afton Chemical shares a lot of information on their website. I'm pretty sure the DI package that Valvoline and Castrol use for their universal transmission fluids comes from Afton:

1717649848773.jpg

Why? What made it bad after that?
The formulation for a regular automatic transmission is totally different from a CVT formulation.
The CVT fluid is water thin at room temperature when compared to a regular fluid. How can 2 different formulations coexist together in the same jug. I have a hard time w/ this idea.

The formulation for a regular automatic transmission is totally different from a CVT formulation.
The CVT fluid is water thin at room temperature when compared to a regular fluid. How can 2 different formulations coexist together in the same jug. I have a hard time w/ this idea.
Idk really, that’s beyond my pay grade.

I would use the factory fluid, and it has nothing to do with the warranty. The transmission is tuned for the OEM fluid, and you could have shifting and durability issues by using something different. I don't care if both fluids meet the same spec, they will be different. And some AT's are very picky about fluid. I know this first hand after using aftermarket fluid in a Nissan transmission. Why take chances on a high buck car like a Lexus?

How can 2 different formulations coexist together in the same jug.
In my post above yours, there is a simple explanation. Here's a screenshot:

1717690945347.jpg

Edit:

We all miss things. This one was an obscure detail.

I believe the way Afton formulated the DI package, the amount of friction modifiers is what enables the ATF to work in two automatic transmission designs. However, using a higher concentration of additives to make such a fluid does not have any negative effect on a step-shift automatic transmission.

@MolaKule is the authority on transmission fluids, I'm sure he formulated at least a few. I would ask him for more in depth details.

Last edited:
The 21 Lexus RX350 was purchased as an off leased with 17K mi and the certified warranty expires in March 2027. The transmission is a U881F AWD 8 speed. I am planning to do a spill/fill which is about 50% of the 8qt capacity. Shall I use Toyota WS or go with Recline D6 which I previously used in my 2014 Toyota Venza V6 6 speed transmission.

D6 is Toyota WS compatible and I never had any problems when the Toyota dealer flushed the 12 qts of D6 in the Venza.

WS or D6?
Amsoil SS is all you’ll need

Got the 21 RX350 spill & fill done at the Toyota dealer and ordered something completely different.
I ordered 4 gals of HPL green cc.

If someone uses Idemitsu brand WS fluid vs Toyota WS fluid, it's doubtful that someone would run into a warranty issue. But if someone substitutes old school Dexron or similar in their late model car and smokes the clutches and the dealership figures that out, the warranty would likely be voided due to incompatible fluids.

From the first Toyota warranty PDF I found online. (I think from a Corolla).
View attachment 223204
And the dealership will pump in BG or MOC ATF if you were to have then change it.

Back