Asking for a friend, thinking to use "lightly used oil"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the replies.
So basically that's what I told him. But he already got the jug from that guy and dumped it into the Mercury. Said he hated wasting good oils, going green and that crap...
It also seems like the seller is not new to the business. He's been selling his used oils for few months now.
It seems engine liked it so far it was running rough before that
We need a video interview with the guy who is making some of his money shilling his used oil for a buck fifty at a time. I have a composite image of the guy and it’s very “Florida Man” 🤣

I'm not trying to be a "wise guy" here but ,how and why does a person lightly use oil?

Sometimes guys do a flush using oil and only let the engine run a few minutes.

Other times guys want to try something and dump a sump super early.

My gardner caught on to the oil I used and asked if he could have some of my old "mobil 2".

Who sells used oil filters?
Especially with xmas just around the corner!

Some of my most dear childhood memories were bounding down the stairs in my pajamas on Xmas morning to open those boxes and find another year’s worth of used oil filters.

This fella must either be rich enough to buy his kids new oil filters for Xmas, or he...well, that’s really the only other option I think.

BTW, I was just kidding about my childhood memories - we never lived in a two story house.

Sometimes guys do a flush using oil and only let the engine run a few minutes.

Other times guys want to try something and dump a sump super early.

My gardner caught on to the oil I used and asked if he could have some of my old "mobil 2".
Oh, OK. Thinking back, I actually did that once between two vehicles I owned.

Calls his son a monkey yet thinks of buying used oil. You should reconsider that friendship for real

Honestly I'm about at that point with my 5.4 ... It's really started to go through oil. I do have the right side head gasket leak and RMS leak, but it doesn't leave drops on the ground, so it's consuming it all. Very worn out, 235000 (somewhere near there) miles. Maybe 236/7k? I'd have to do the math again. (I stopped using TCW3 a while back once I ran out, may try it again to try to slow it down a bit). When towing I go through a quart every 100 miles and empty it's about 250 miles per quart. I think the next change I'm going to catch the oil out of the Subaru and just put it in a 5 quart jug and start dumping it in the F350 when it needs oil.
I have an 04 f150 5.4 with 232k. Hardly used any oil, but it is just barely drivable right now from the cam phasers. Chuck some 5w40 dual rated oil and she'll be happy.

I have an 04 f150 5.4 with 232k. Hardly used any oil, but it is just barely drivable right now from the cam phasers. Chuck some 5w40 dual rated oil and she'll be happy.
I've thought about it. Currently using a HM 5w-30. I do worry that a synthetic would cause the leaks to get worse.

This man calls his son a monkey? It sounds to me like he gets it honestly. Tell your friend I have a 12 quart case I'll sell at a discounted price of $2. He can throw it in the trunk and when the car gets low of oil just go get a couple quarts out and refill it.

As for the person who used motor oil/diesel to stain his storage shed, I can just see him explaining that one to the insurance company after a claim is made and the arson inspector reports that there were large amounts of accelerants used.

I too have put used oil in cars that leaked/burned lots of oil but I knew where the oil was coming from, the sump of my better cars. I kind of miss the good old days when I didn't have to return used oil to be recycled.

Oil is oil right? If he/his son doesn’t care about the car why would it matter if it’s used or new oil? As long as there’s oil in it I say send it. Worst could happen is the motor goes today, but what’s saying it won’t go next week with Amazon basics 5w30?

how much oil is it going thru? If it’s burning a quart per tank it’s only 5 or so tanks before the constant new oil will flush out the old.

i would be hesitant on used oil filters but if the motor craft ones are extended interval rated I wouldn’t hesitate to use them on a beater

I had a neighbor with an old Mazda that burned oil like mad - like a quart every 500 miles. Every time I changed my oil (typically around 4~5K in clean engine) he would come over and ask for the old oil to use in it. Saved me a trip to local auto parts store to recycle the oil.

On a old pile of oil burning junk who cares ! my old man squeezed another 3 years out of a hyundai stellar pile of crap , never changed the oil or filter just kept adding used oil oil from his truck changes which was 5k on valvoline conventional.
He put over 40K more on it running it like that ,and it ran no worse or better than it did before.
This convinced him to to extend his oic on his cars from that point on.
The problem is not oil, the problem is what else might be in it like coolant, cooking oil, brake fluid, etc.

Reminds me of "The Grapes of Wrath" where they blew out a rod bearing on the road and had to get one out of a junk yard to continue the journey.

Having been dirt poor creates a mindset of making do with what you can get and have vs what you would like.

As a youth Ive been at the crossroads of not eating and coming up with money for oil for an old beater thats counting down anyway.

The problem is not oil, the problem is what else might be in it like coolant, cooking oil, brake fluid, etc.

You either know and trust the seller or you dont.

If a poster here said he was dumping a 1K sump of 25 dollar oil because he said it was "louder" than his last sump and I were a broke kid w a total leaking beater I'd be all over that for 1.5 because its recoups 18.50C worth of groceries out of a twenty.

I get lots of people have never been poor and had these choices to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back