ARX rinse oil for '99 BMW 528

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be ready for the rinse phase soon, and am looking for suggestions on what dino oil might be "best".

Over the projected time to complete the 2000 miles, the local temperatures will range from 0 to 90 deg F., although average winter temps will be around 30 deg F. It may take from October to August to accumulate the required miles.

I'm considering Havoline or Pennzoil 5w30. I'm curious if anyone would suggest a better alternative (brand or weight).

I suppose it's not critical, seeing as to how the oil will only be in for a relatively short distance - but perhaps someone with a similar vehicle can offer a suggestion.

BTW, I'm also treating a '87 Buick (3.8L)- ARX eliminated a small leak after about 400 miles in the clean phase.

I've had good luck in the winter using a blend of Chevron Delo 400 (15W40) and Chevron Supreme 5W30 for a rinse oil. I like the Delo for its additional robustness, while the Chevron Supreme helps to lower viscosity. I've used a 60/40 blend, but I live in a moderate climate. You may want to use more 5W30 in yours.

BTW, I have the same engine in a '97 3 series. Just curious, have you had any issues with lifter tick?

quote:

Originally posted by nel:
...Just curious, have you had any issues with lifter tick?

No unusual engine noise - at least so far. It has the M52 with double VANOS. Of course the radiator and water pump have been replaced...

I'm the third owner and I suspect the original owner was a bit negligent on PM. A bit of crud inside the filler cap and on the dipstick are the reason for doing the AutoRX treatment.

FWIW, I used Castrol GTX 10W-30 for my ARX rinse in an 01 330i. Temps ranged from 65* to 105* and nary a whimper from the engine. Looked fine after the drain too. Used this oil mainly because it was $7.29 for the 5 qt. jug at Wally World.

Id run a heavy 30 wt or 40 wt oil in a BMW engine, period. Since I dont really know of any good heavy 30wt oils that dont have the syn component, consider the rotella "synthetic" 5w-40, which I have used, and found that it worked wonderfully (and according to others is one of the ARX top oils to use). Otherwise run an HDEO, the extra detergents will do good. Consider delo 400 15w-40.

JMH

Thanks to all for your collective input.

quote:

Originally posted by JHZR2:
Id run a heavy 30 wt or 40 wt oil in a BMW engine, period. Since I dont really know of any good heavy 30wt oils that dont have the syn component, consider the rotella "synthetic" 5w-40, which I have used, and found that it worked wonderfully (and according to others is one of the ARX top oils to use). Otherwise run an HDEO, the extra detergents will do good. Consider delo 400 15w-40.

JMH

I was wondering if the Rotella would be too thick for this application. I'm glad to hear that it would be a good choice.

i own a 95 M3 with 130k on her now. i used autorx mainly to do a safe switch to synthetic oil. the treatment worked great, used 10w30 for both phases and treatments. i recently changed the valve cover gasket and was pleasantly suprised to see not a spec of sludge or varnish anywhere. this stuff works if you folow the directions. since the treatment i have switched over to M1 15w50 synth, car seems to like it. for the winter though i planon going a bit lighter with the oil and am going to give royal purple a shot. probably gonna go with 10w40. as for your E39, whats the mileage? if it is high(100k +), i would go with 15w50. i work for a bmw dealership and i spoke to my friend who has been a bmw tech there for 15yrs, he advised me against using 5w30 in my car, said it is too light even for the summer with the mileage i have. he owns 2 bimmers himself, an e36 318ti and an e34 530, he uses 15w40 in the e34. unless you have very low mileage, i would go with a 15w40/50 weight oil.

quote:

Originally posted by nightkrawler:
i own a 95 M3 with 130k on her now. i used autorx mainly to do a safe switch to synthetic oil. the treatment worked great, used 10w30 for both phases and treatments. i recently changed the valve cover gasket and was pleasantly suprised to see not a spec of sludge or varnish anywhere. this stuff works if you folow the directions. since the treatment i have switched over to M1 15w50 synth, car seems to like it. for the winter though i planon going a bit lighter with the oil and am going to give royal purple a shot. probably gonna go with 10w40. as for your E39, whats the mileage? if it is high(100k +), i would go with 15w50. i work for a bmw dealership and i spoke to my friend who has been a bmw tech there for 15yrs, he advised me against using 5w30 in my car, said it is too light even for the summer with the mileage i have. he owns 2 bimmers himself, an e36 318ti and an e34 530, he uses 15w40 in the e34. unless you have very low mileage, i would go with a 15w40/50 weight oil.

The odo reads just under 90K. From what I've read, 5w30 would indeed be too thin for your car. It's my understanding that the M-motors use a much heavier weight oil. Seeing how the BMW spec for my engine is their 5w30 (reportedly a heavy 30), I'd be a bit uncomfortable with 15w50. The 5w40 Rotella T sounds like a good dino rinse oil. Once the regimen is over, I'm looking at M1 TSUV 5w40, 0w40 or perhaps the GC.

quote:

Originally posted by Russell:
Thought Rotella T 5w40 was a synthetic?

It's a group III "synthetic". It is considered non-syn for the purpose of ARX rinse phase - that's the word on the board. The many members, far more knowledgeable than I, could explain it in better detail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back