Ariens Sno-Tek 24 not starting with pull start

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a sno-tek 24 last year and used it for the season and it worked great. I would prime it 3 times and apply full choke and pull the cord and it would start. I stored it for the season but forgot to add fuel stabilizer to the fuel and I changed the oil before the beginning of the winter this year but now it doesn't start as easy as it used too. I mainly use the electric start but even when cranking I have to prime it like 7-10 times for it to start. I tried yersterday to prime it 10 time and pull starting it and eventually did start but I was tired just from pulling the cord 20 times. Also in the new fresh fuel I am using I added seafoam and I always run it now.

What could cause it not to start as easy as last year? I was thinking maybe a dirty carb or bad spark plug? If it is the carb, is it easy to clean the carb, I haven't done it before.

If you have a "torch" OE spark plug, chuck it and put in a bosch/ ngk/ champion etc.

The carb is super easy to clean, undo the 10mm nut on the bottom and take the bowl off. Check it for goo, you can wipe it with a paper towel. You'll see the jet going straight up, you can spray up that jet with carb cleaner or unscrew it and do a more thorough job.

I've owned one for 3 winters and have experianced this from either old gas or primed too much. What i did was drained the carb through the drain bolt. Then primed three times and played with choke and it will start with a couple pulls. Another thing I tend to do since its very cold in WI, is use the electric start while priming at same time. It will fire right up, Good Luck!!

I'm going on the year 4 (or 5) with the same blower. MMO and Stabil in gas *all the time* has resulted in this engine starting with 3 primes and one light pull *every* time. I never drain the gas, just top it off before I store it.

The moral of the story is to treat the gas when you buy it. I have a 10 liter red gas jug and I add the MMO and Stabil when it's empty and add gas. Don't wait until summer to treat your gas. Treat it at purchase time.

I also use ethanol free Premium.

This regiment has resulted in *no* required maintenance on any of my small engines.

No seafoam! I had run stabilizer but have found it unnecessary on my 17 YO Yardman w/ a 8hp Tecumseh snowking. I think I had to drsain the carb through the poppet on the bowl boottom a bit once.
DONT OVERFILL OIL and don't put junk in the oil! Don run Too thick an oil. You can put a little dribble of oil in the gas.

Wather in the gas, forzenb carb and poor gas are usually poor strart culprets as well as OVER priming. Rule If its under -17C, and the unit is outside, use the E start.

Originally Posted By: johnnyh55
……..I would prime it 3 times and apply full choke and pull the cord and it would start……….I have to prime it like 7-10 times for it to start. I tried yersterday to prime it 10 time and pull starting it and eventually did start…..

I believe you may be flooding the engine with over-priming. I had the same problem with my Sno-Tek.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3586136/1

I prime my 28" Ariens Sno-Tek 8-10 mashes, full choke and it starts with barely a yank. I've never even tried the E-start.

I haven't even looked at the OEM spark plug yet..

If need be, I think replacement LCT carbs are pretty cheap. Can never go wrong with a name-brand replacement carb too.

i had the same blower, and had the same issue after leaving untreated gas in it over the summer, I took the carb bowl off and spayed carb cleaner in there i could not get the jet out so i made sure to get as much carb cleaner in there as possible then after about 10-15 pulls it started up after letting it run for a bit it now starts with out issues on 1st or second pull I now use marine stabil for my gas

OP: Did you drain the old fuel out? If not I would and start with fresh (vs just adding fresh fuel). I'm also a big proponent of E0 fuel for small engines (if you can find it).

Well I just got around to fixing it(used e start last winter). I took the carb off and it was pretty darn clean but I cleaned it anyway. When I went to reinstall it, I noticed the primer line was cracked. I replaced it and it has fixed my issue. Now the snowblower starts after 3 primes and 1 pull just like it used too. Thanks for the help everyone.

Johnny- too funny. I perked right up when I saw this thread because the EXACT same thing happened to my Ariens Sno-Tek LCT engine last year. Suffered with the hard start for a few weeks. The primer bulb did seem to press too easily, but I didn't think it all out at the time. It wasn't doing a darn thing with that hose being split wide open. I believe I used a piece of silicone aquarium air line tubing to fix mine. Funny that it still needs a full prime even though these engines have a manual choke. EPA super lean carb I guess.

Last edited:
I ran into the same issue with my Poulan (Husky built) blower. First winter it ran great and towards the fall of the next season I could not get it to start. FOund the primer line dry rotted out. Once fixed it has been good for years. I think they did not use fuel rated line for the primer. Last winter it would still fire on the first pull when it was -30 Celsius.

Had to replace the primer tube on my 24" Sno-Tek also. I do not like the location of the hose bib on the prime bulb, it it too close to the carb and it forces a very sharp bend on the tube. I also installed an inline fuel filter (red B&S filter).

For the 3rd winter in a row, the God of Winter has cursed my 24" Snotek with a no-start for the first winter storm. This despite adding fresh EO gas (with Stabil Marine) 5 weeks ago, and testing it for starting (started on 1st pull at 45F). After 5 cranks with the starter, I pulled the plug and it was soaked with gas. Will let everything dry out overnight, and give it another try, without priming.

This Snotek is the fussiest, most cantankerous OPE I have owned during the last 40 years. Good thing I have 2 snow shovels.

My 40 yr old Tecumseh flat head was burning out its electric starters and stll not starting . Once started it was hard to keep running. I spent more time tinkering than blowing. After spending 8 hrs with a shovel, I spent about 4 hrs adapting a 100$ Predator 6 HP. 4 yrs later, the engine started on the 2nd pull. Because it has a metal tank, I store it full to the neck with MMO laced E10 87. After 8 months, if it takes more than 3 pulls, it is because I forgot to open the switch. People rant about Chinese junk, but junk made as well as Predator is hard to pass up. If your OPE, has a fuel shutoff, use it after every use.

Originally Posted By: SubLGT

This Snotek is the fussiest, most cantankerous OPE I have owned during the last 40 years. Good thing I have 2 snow shovels.

Sorry to hear you're having issues again with it! It's not really a Sno-tek/Ariens thing, it's an LCT engine thing. This exact engine is used across the Ariens line and many others. I've used mine twice so far his season. Fires up with 1-2 pulls now that I sorted the primer hose deal last winter. My fuel shut-off valve is still feeling sketchy though, like a rubber seal in it swelled.

Donyboy73 posted a video recently (on his youtube channel) about starting flooded OPE...said many people prime and choke too much...results in hard starting. Might want to give it a look?

Last edited:
Try starting it without priming and half choke if its not that cold.

After a couple pulls go full choke..

after a couple pulls prime it 2x.

you will soon figure out what it takes to start it..

They are more finicky than my 1970's-1980's era tractors.
but almost always the issue is flooding it.

Originally Posted By: SubLGT
... Will let everything dry out overnight, and give it another try, without priming...

Still a no start. Have a healthy spark. Gas is reaching the combustion chamber.
Have drained the tank and carb of the 5 week old E0 91-oct gas, and will buy a gallon of fresh E10 87-octane.
Fresh E10 solved my no-start last winter, and I hope it works again.

Am wondering if the E0 gas is really a winter blend, and has adequate vapor pressure for a start at 25F ?? It was adequate 5 weeks ago, when the temp was around 45-50F.
confused2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back