New Sno-Tek Ariens snow blower questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all. While sitting in the AC over the past 100+ degree week up hear in the NE, I got to thinking about winter. And then about how bad our last one was.

So, I went online I bought this:
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stor...amp;R=202222489

A Ariens Sno-Tek 2-Stage 24 in. Gas Snow Blower with a 208cc LCT engine.

So, I have researched the heck out of this thing. In doing so, I have found that this Sno-Tek is the same exact blower made by Ariens going for $200+ more except it has a cheaper chinese engine.

After researching LCT engines, and the StormForce 208CC OHV on the Sno-tek, I found they are rated very well.

Considering the fact I just have to do my driveway, side walk, and parts of the street I live on, I found this one to be the best bang for the buck.

Sooooo, onto my questions!!!

Anyone have any tips??? I know about adding Stay-Bil to the fuel. Any other stablizer I should look into? I have heard the Stay-bil for marine use is better. Is that true?

I plan on changing the oil over to M1 HM 5w30 after the first hour of running it.

Anyone spray the augers with pam or wd40 to prevent clogging?

Any other tips?

Thanks guys!

I always spray the auger and impeller with silicone spray on my 25 year old blower. I run it dry in the spring with fuel that has been treated with Stabil and MMO. I use Rotella T-6 5W-40 now after advice from some on this board and it runs just fine. I always greas all of the fittings before storing it for the summer. In al of the years of ownership, I always spray storage fogging oil into the cylinder while pulling on the starter rope and it has never failed to start the next season with one or two pulls.

After each season, remove the shear pins, grease the auger shaft zerks, and give it a few spins before reinstalling the pins. This will help prevent self destruction of the front end in case something jams in the auger.

And keep some spare shear pins on hand. If you do get a jam and need to replace the pins, chances are you won't be able to run to the store for parts in 8" of snow, and you'll have to finish the driveway by hand.

Do all your maintenance at the end of the season before summer.

All good tips, although I doubt there's any grease zerks on that baby.

In addition, I like to slip the wheels off the axle and grease the axle well, otherwise those wheels/hubs will rust into place.

That's a GREAT price for that machine. 24" is a perfect size. Easier on the body. It won't be too heavy to maneuver around.

Joel

Makes me feel cool just looking at it! As an owner of a 1968 Ariens I can tell you that it may last as long as you will need it. I inherited mine from my father-in-law who lived in Erie PA (the snow capital of PA). The quality of construction looks to be decent on the newer units, but I hope that China engine holds up.I use silicone spray on the auger and chute before each use. Any HDEO in 10w-30 would be OK IMO. I don't use synthetic In mine as I don't want to chance the seals leaking. I change oil at the end of each season and use regular Sta-Bil in the gas. There are a couple of Ariens web sites on the history and collections of older restored Sno-throws you can check out. Enjoy waiting for that cold weather!lol!-FWIW--Oldtommy

the marine version of Stabil (green) works better with alcohol dosed gasoline=gasohol.
It also costs a lot more than the red.

I've used 0W-30 Mobil-1 for the last few years; blower sits in a cold garage all winter. Starts easy and doesn't use any oil.
But then I have a Tecumseh engine.

Thanks guys for the tips so far!!!

Keep em coming!

It is going to get delivered next week some time.

Once it get's here, I plan on putting a half of quart (whats called for) of M1 5w30 HM, OR Redline 5w30 (have not made my mind up totally!!)

I am going to fill it up with fuel and run it for about a half an hour. I then will drain the oil (and the wear/break in metals) put fresh oil in (either m1 or Redline) then top off the fuel after adding a double dose of Stay-bil. Then I am going to run it again for about 5-10 min. to get the treated fuel through the lines/carb.

Then all I have to do is play the waiting game till winter. . . . . . . . .

smile.gif

Mid winter last year I finally got mad at the tec on my toro so I slapped one of those 6.5 hp chondas on. Wanted something I could claim was "new" so the wife could start it, and I had a third party to blame if it didn't. Very impressed with the motor. Uses the same gas as a flat head but makes less noise and the same power.

Then HF clearanced the "blue" chondas and I picked up a couple, then went blower shopping. Got this Ariens that was practically made for the chonda!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back