Tell me about 1-stage snow blowers

First off, Merry Christmas to anyone who is viewing this today, Dec.25.

I currently have a 2-stage Ariens 26" snow blower that works just fine. The problem is me. I'm getting older and trying to man-handle the blower when both wheels are driving is becoming too much. It handles much better with one wheel driving but I don't get the same omph from it. So I'm considering a 1-stage blower . They seem to average around 95 pounds vs my Ariens which probably weights 200 pounds. I just started thinking 1-stage yesterday, so I haven't even looked at one in a store yet. So online I'm looking at 1-stage Toros. When they say that it propels itself, does that mean that those tiny wheels are driving it, or is it the blade action at the front sort of pulling the machine along? If the blades are driving it, how long before they wear out? If I got the biggest and best 1-stage (around $750 - $800) will I be able to cut into the piles that the county snow plow leaves at the foot of my driveway?

These blowers really just came on to my radar so I know nothing, but I'm thinking that a smaller machine will be easier on me physically. If we get a blizzard I can get help from neighbors if necessary.

Any input about 1-stage blowers is welcome and will be appreciated.

Merry Christmas to you as well!

My father in-law (in his mid 60's) has a Cub Cadet 2 stage with power steering. This is much easier for him to man handle. You may want to look at one of these. Another option is a tracked unit with power steering. They tend to be more stable than rubber tired units.

If you live in an area that gets a lot of snow a single stage will be a bigger PITA than man handling the 2 stage. All my neighbors have single stage units and they work good with small amounts of snow. I know in eastern Iowa if we get more than about 2" or 3" of snow I get to do a lot of driveways with my reliable Yardman 2 stage.

Just my $0.02

Reactions: JC1
First off, Merry Christmas to anyone who is viewing this today, Dec.25.

I currently have a 2-stage Ariens 26" snow blower that works just fine. The problem is me. I'm getting older and trying to man-handle the blower when both wheels are driving is becoming too much. It handles much better with one wheel driving but I don't get the same omph from it. So I'm considering a 1-stage blower . They seem to average around 95 pounds vs my Ariens which probably weights 200 pounds. I just started thinking 1-stage yesterday, so I haven't even looked at one in a store yet. So online I'm looking at 1-stage Toros. When they say that it propels itself, does that mean that those tiny wheels are driving it, or is it the blade action at the front sort of pulling the machine along? If the blades are driving it, how long before they wear out? If I got the biggest and best 1-stage (around $750 - $800) will I be able to cut into the piles that the county snow plow leaves at the foot of my driveway?

These blowers really just came on to my radar so I know nothing, but I'm thinking that a smaller machine will be easier on me physically. If we get a blizzard I can get help from neighbors if necessary.

Any input about 1-stage blowers is welcome and will be appreciated.
Youtube will answer alot of your questions about 1 stage snow blowers.Good for dry snow mainly .I have a 2 cycle toro single and an Ariens 11-28 2stage for the big snow.

I have one of those 1 stage Toro's. They are great machines. As long as the snow isn't deeper than its opening, it will throw the snow farther than your two stage. I found that to be the biggest problem with mine is it throws the snow too far and the deeper the snow, the farther it throws it.They will tend to pull themselves along if you tip it forward a little and the paddles will propel it. Only drawback is the paddles will wear out faster if you do that. I would stick with a Toro if you are considering a one stage.

The wheels do not pull on a small lightweight single stage. The rubber does seem to hold up pretty well, as it just needs to barely touch the surface, and sometimes it will be slightly icy or snowy. Personally I wish they still made the 2 cycle ones like they all used to be, but of course the government decided that they polluted too much. They were much lighter weight than these new ones.
Oh, and since the paddles are probably all rubber, they won't work good on the snow pushed up by the snowplows.

I have a 5 hp 22inch 2 stage s/p Snapper snowblower, and am seriously thinking of getting a 1 stage for the light snows, as they usually clean down to the cement better. Of course I need to keep the bigger one also, as we have been know to have drifts almost to deep for it to handle
But I will look for a good used 2 cycle one to make it easier to handle.

Yeah, I had a TORO single stage as I turned 60, it was the 2 cycle model, and worked very well. The rubber on the paddles would pull it along fairly well. The dryer the snow, the farther the throw. Wet heavy snow would make it about 2-3 feet from the spout. The other issue with wet snow/slush is it would plug the chute, but I'm sure that's an issue with 2 stage units too.
Never had a problem starting even on the coldest days.
I no longer worry about snow.

I'm confused, which isn't anything new. I have both a single stage lightweight snowblower and a large 2 stage, both are fairly easy to handle. What does the snow thowing "stages" have to do with handling/driving. My 2 stage is track drive, with typical levers to go right left, pretty simple. My single stage is light and not self propelled and is like mowing with a pushmower, also easy.
Single and 2 stage are completely different in their snow throwing ability, with some overlap, ie. cheap 2 stages throw approximately as good as high quality single stage blowers. My 2 stage can really propel the snow a long, long way assuming the quality of the snow meets what I call "throwable snow". Snow that is wet, slushy, sticks to the chute and doesnt throw as well, dry powder snow will go a long way.
Also, some 2 stage blowers don't have a decent seal between the inner housing, and the 2nd stage paddles, even if the paddles have rubber edges. I've made some adjustments to mine and it is amazing how well it throws when those seals are very close to the housing.
If I'm missing something, I'd be interested, it sure wouldn't be the first time.

The wheels on a single stage thrower don’t drive it. It’s pulled along by the paddles digging into the snow and you pushing when necessary.

L8R,
Matt

Reactions: JC1
I picked up a Briggs & Stratton last year, linked below. I kind of wish that it blew light snow further, but with the way the wind gets here it almost always ends up being blasted right back into my face no matter where I aim it. The paddles/blades are supposed to help pull it forward, and I’d say at most I give it a very slight push when necessary otherwise I’m basically just walking behind it.

I also left it sit since ~February with a full tank of E-10 gas in my garage that has no insulation. Primed it twice, closed the choke, and it fired up on the first pull.

My Toro single stage 2 stroke has been great. The sidewalk to my front door has a step down to the driveway. I just lift the Toro onto the sidewalk to clear it. I wouldn’t be able to do that with a 2 stage.

Merry Christmas 🎄🎁 ..

depends how much area and snow you have to move..

Stage 1, you’ll have to go out more frequently during a storm. I would say every 3-5” depending on a heavy or lite snow.

I’m not sure the last time I seen a 2-stroke machine made in the recent, but if they still make em definitely op for a 4-stroke.

Have you done a full maintenance on your machine.. pull the belly pan and check the drive system? my 20 yr old yard machine tracks straight as an arrow. I noticed with the auto sense steering machines if they hit uneven ground or moving heavy mounds they tend to fight you more by favoring the side with less resistance often going off your intended path.

dollars for donuts. If you’re in the market for a new machine.. I would purchase a more manageable 2-stage machine without the auto sense steering.

My single stage Toro handles 12” snow just fine. If we get a 24” drift I’ll have to nibble at it, but it gets the job done. It’s on its 13th Michigan winter with only one carb rebuild.

I have a Toro 721R single stage. 21" with the 212cc 4-stroke gas engine. Very maneuverable, easy to handle, and powerful for it's size. I find that I'll often use it instead of my 42" snowblower on my Deere garden tractor just because the rubber paddles clean down to the pavement and it's faster. Once the snow gets higher than 10" the 2-stage out-performs it though. The solution to this would be to go out multiple times during the storm. I probably could've handled our last storm with the Toro easily if I went out mid-storm in addition to after it stopped snowing, but I got caught up with work stuff. The single stage Toro also handles the slush much better than the 2-stage, and my 2-stage even has the impeller mod.

I have a 21" single stage. I find in deeper snow, if I'm blowing snow to the side, I still fight with it as the reaction force from the snow wants to push the snowblower in the other direction and the machine itself isn't that heavy (maybe 50 lbs?).

Back