1 Year Old Snowblower Won't Start

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried to start my Arien's Sno-Tek 24" blower today, for the first time this season, and it was a no-go. Checked spark plug, and it was dripping wet, and so I blew it dry with compressed air, and checked the gap. Also noticed some fuel on bottom of carb. I did not help anything by pressing on the primer bulb 8 or 9 times, that's for sure.
cry.gif

I will let it sit for a couple of hours while I eat lunch and do some other things. I am wondering if the needle valve is not completely closing.

I have been using ethanol free Conoco gas with added Sta-Bil, and I put the blower into storage using the procedure from the manual (turn fuel valve to off, run engine until it sputters ).

Any other tips?

Any spark? Is there a choke? Are you sure there's no other safety/turn off switches that need to be switched? I made that mistake with my dad's snow blower this summer.

If the plug is that wet then you're either not getting spark or you're incredibly flooded.

Check for spark by holding the plug while you pull the cord. If it lights you on fire then you have spark
smile.gif

If it's flooded then hold the throttle wide open and crank until it lights off.

Make sure no critters have nested in the airbox.

If you have a manual starter I would suggest fitting an electric starter. My Ariens 824 was giving me fits trying to start. Starter fluid, heat gunning the head and pull till I was ready to drop. Now I plug an AC cord to the starter, prime the carb, choke it and hit the starter button and presto she is running. Well worth the approximately $100 for the starter kit.

I had to use my Ariens 28" for the first time this year, yesterday. I am an advocate of the run it dry method, and did so with the last use last year. (I run the carb dry with each use......I ran the tank dry, end of season).

It started on the first pull!

If you have the electric start option, I would use that, and hold the throttle open until it clears of fuel. You might even want to do that with the fuel valve off, just in case it is something leaking in. Once you know you have the fuel cleared out of it, you can try starting it normally. Good luck.

I think you flooded it. Hopefully you left the plug out while you had lunch. Pull the starter a few times with the plug out. Install the plug and try again. Try with no primer pumps, pull twice, then 1 primer pump, pull twice. Go up to 3 or 4 max.

I have a 36" Airens and it will start easily by hand. It has no primer bulb, just a choke.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Starting fluid.

+1
I've brought many a seemingly dead OPE to life with a little shot of this magic elixir.
You've also helped to demonstrate my contention that E0 gas doesn't help and that Stabil serves mainly to lighten your wallet.

Cleanout the combustion chamber as previously recommended. Drain old fuel out of tank and carburetor if it still won't start. Add fresh fuel and set the choke. Too much Fuel Stabilizer can create hard starting conditions. A double-dose of Stabil is OK.

Starter fluid will work too, but a fire extinguisher should be close by when spraying into the air intake system.

I start all my outdoor equipment every two months to prevent issues like this.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Starting fluid.

+1
I've brought many a seemingly dead OPE to life with a little shot of this magic elixir.
You've also helped to demonstrate my contention that E0 gas doesn't help and that Stabil serves mainly to lighten your wallet.

It proved nothing abot the use of E0 or Stabil we don't know if he turned it on or if it's getting spark at all.

Originally Posted By: dave123
It proved nothing abot the use of E0 or Stabil we don't know if he turned it on or if it's getting spark at all.

Yeah, when you run the carb dry, it is pretty easy to forget to turn the key to off......Then, when you go to start it, you turn the key.........From on to off! DAMHIK.

Originally Posted By: dave123
Starting fluid.

+1

Ah yeah, sure.
When he finally breaks down and gives it a shot of ether, it'll roar to life.
Been there and done that enough times that I know from where I speak.
Not too likely that the ignition died for no special reason during the months of disuse.
I'd also give the OP enough credit that he knows the difference between "on" and "off".

Originally Posted By: Donald
I think you flooded it. Hopefully you left the plug out while you had lunch. Pull the starter a few times with the plug out. Install the plug and try again. Try with no primer pumps, pull twice, then 1 primer pump, pull twice. Go up to 3 or 4 max. ……….

Yeah, I think I did flood it with over use of the primer bulb. Lesson learned. After a 3 hour drying out break, it started after 3 tries with the electric starter and 1/2 choke. There was 2 seconds of grey exhaust, and now it runs great. Just in time too, because as I write this we are getting heavy, wet snow. There may be up to 8" in the driveway Sunday morning. I would not like to have to shovel that.

The OE spark plug brand is "Torch". I think I will get a NGK BPR6ES plug next time I pass by Autozone.

Thanks to everyone for the tips. (And yes, I did have the two ignition switches in the ON position).

Last edited:
Was the gas from last year?

That can cause hard starting.

Last edited:
SubLGT, from what posters here say about TORCH brand spark plugs, it's a minor miracle it ever started at all.

Yes, definitely get an NGK plug for that engine.

I have worked with two Ariens 28" blowers, both very good machines. One about 7 or 8 years old with a Tecumseh. Also a newer one with the B&S snow-series engine (250cc). BOTH are cold-hearted beasts that I have not been able to get to fire with the pull cord. I don't have this problem with any other OPE ... even very old machines.

Fortunately, I have the 120V plug-in electric starter on both. Still, I should be able to pull these relatively new machines over without a problem. Even after they've been thoroughly warmed up, I don't think I've ever gotten them to fire by hand.

Originally Posted By: Rand
Was the gas from last year?

That can cause hard starting.

Yes, it was ethanol free Conoco 92 octane, bought around Nov 2013. It was dosed with Sta-Bil that I bought in summer 2011. But I did add fresh fuel today, and that diluted the old fuel by at least 50%.

Originally Posted By: Bror Jace
……….BOTH are cold-hearted beasts that I have not been able to get to fire with the pull cord. I don't have this problem with any other OPE ... even very old machines…………..

What I noticed last year, when the SnoTek blower was brand new, is that even when fully warmed up from a half hour of blowing snow, full choke is required to start it after a 2 minute shutdown.

Ah yeah, sure.
When he finally breaks down and gives it a shot of ether, it'll roar to life.
Been there and done that enough times that I know from where I speak.
Not too likely that the ignition died for no special reason during the months of disuse.
I'd also give the OP enough credit that he knows the difference between "on" and "off".

Yup. Sometimes you just need the vacuum of a running engine, running faster than you can pull the rope, to slurp whatever snot through the carb jet so it'll go. Once going, it'll keep going.

I have an ancient rototiller that has its dedicated, rusty can of ether sitting next to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back