Snowblower with Sta-Bil

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is what I continued in another post that I have "open" and thought I should make a new post as the question that I have is different than the other post as titled. This is what I wrote in the other post as a new question pertaining to my new Craftsman Snowblower w/ LCT engine, that I purchaced in OCT '11.

I'd like to keep this post OPEN if at all possible as I do have another question...This question is:

Being that this snowblower is using a 208cc LCT motor(from CHINA???), the owners manual also mentions nothing about using fuel stabilizer for long period storage. The OM specificly mentions to drain/run out all of the fuel including the carb for long term storage as from season to season and mentions absolutly nothing about using a fuel stabilizer as a choice to complete draining of the fuel.

I have been for a very long time, used STA*BIL in all of my small equipment during storage and have had great success doing so.

ATMOF, I have had better success using STA-BIL in the small engines, than running them dry in reguards to restarting them when I do bring out the equipment in the next season.

Useing Sta-Bil in the fuel has allowed me quicker starts the next season and the engines seem to also run better during those seasons. I also properly dose(1oz/2.5 gal) all of my gas cans with STA-BIL when I refill them at the gas station and use STA-BIL throughout the season(s).

What is your opinion(s) guys? Can I store these new LCT motors with fresh fuel and STA-BIL instead of leaving the system dry???

I use Sta-Bil in all three of my snow blowers, including the 5HP, 5 year old Chinese made Craftsman, bought for $75. I plan to drain the gas and run engines dry at end of season. Hopefully you get non- Ethanol gas for yours and this link show Rochester to have some. http://www.pure-gas.org

Last edited:
I would continue to use StaBil. If their fuel system can handle fuel, it can handle StaBil. I have switched over to the blue marine StaBil as it has more cleaners. Startron is good also (also blue).

Is there a drain for the carb fuel bowl, or do they expect one to remove it. Even with carb drained there is a coating of fuel in various places like the jets. That will or may turn to gum/varnish.

Originally Posted By: ronbo
I use Sta-Bil in all three of my snow blowers, including the 5HP, 5 year old Chinese made Craftsman, bought for $75. I plan to drain the gas and run engines dry at end of season. Hopefully you get non- Ethanol gas for yours and this link show Rochester to have some. http://www.pure-gas.org

Every station that I frequent has 10% Ethanol and it's been this way for some time/years. Thank you for the link. I'd perfer to keep the fuel systems full in all of my small equipment as mentioned with fuel/Sta-Bil mix. One thing I haven't mentioned it that I not only use Sta-Bil @ 1 oz./2.5 gal, I do the same with MMO(same doseage). I do this for normal service during the season(s) and for storage too!

Originally Posted By: Donald
I would continue to use StaBil. If their fuel system can handle fuel, it can handle StaBil. I have switched over to the blue marine StaBil as it has more cleaners. Startron is good also (also blue).

Is there a drain for the carb fuel bowl, or do they expect one to remove it. Even with carb drained there is a coating of fuel in various places like the jets. That will or may turn to gum/varnish.

I don't know yet if there is a carb drain, I'll have to look. I'll most likely keep fuel/Sta-Bil/MMO in the tank as I have had the best success doing so. Each coming winter season(OCT-NOV) trying to restard a snowblower that has been stores without fuel(dry), was a nightmere trying to get them restarted and they ran poorly for seveal tankfulls. My experience is the same with lawn equipment so, I keep'em full of fuel/Sta-Bil/MMO as well.

Although this has been my experience since my younger years. I'm on my 4th snowblower since the 70's. Todays equipment may probably be different/better in this reguard, IDK. So, I do this based on personal experience even if a little old school. There seem to be the school of, those folks who run'em dry and those who use stabilizer.

I was really curious about the lack of any mention of an option of using stabilizer in the fuel for storage, in the OM of this new Blower.

I have only seen but, never purchaced the blue stabilizer. It's better you say?

Thank you both for your comments.

CB

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
There seem to be the school of, those folks who run'em dry and those who use stabilizer.

I have only seen but, never purchaced the blue stabilizer. It's better you say?

Isn't that the truth, about the "2 schools"? I store my equipment successfully over-winter with Stabil. Because it's cold, I feel that the gas is less prone to oxidation, etc..

If equipment is stored over summer and longer, I drain that gas mid-storage period (throw in car) and install new stabilized gas and run it for 20 minutes. It's just a feel good procedure. This would be a chore if you had a ton of equipment.

Only when I suspect something will be stored for a long time (a year or more) do I drain it, fog the cylinders, etc..

Works for me. To each their own.

RE Owners manual missing info. I see it all the time at my workplace with commercial equipment. Kawasaki still recommends SJ oil and John Deere has all kinds of mistakes and omissions.

RE the Blue Stabil. It is used at half the dose of the red. If you crunch the numbers, they end up about the same dosage of active ingredient I'm guessing. Except, as Donald said, the cleaners end up being more concentration. I'm not sure why you need more cleaner when ethanol is an excellent cleaner. When I talked to a tech. at Gold Eagle, he said both work well in E-10 gas.
21.gif
Take care.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back