1 Year Old Snowblower Won't Start

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sub, sorry if I missed it somewhere, but are you using the E-start on this LCT? I've never seen an LCT engine w/out electric start on it. I gotta check mine! I've got a year old 28" Ariens Sno-Tek that I haven't used since last winter.

FWIW, the whole Ariens snow line has been using LCT OHV engines pretty much since Tecumseh OPE engines went belly-up.

Last edited:
Update: I drained most of the 1 year old fuel (Conoco 91oct, ethanol free, with Sta-bil) out of the tank and carb.

I wanted the freshest gasoline possible, so I went to one of the busiest stations in town and got a gallon of Conoco 87oct with 10% ethanol. Added Sta-Bil to it.

I put that in the tank, and the snowblower fired up on the first try! Hallelujah!

In 45 years of using OPE, I have never seen such a dramatic benefit from using fresh gasoline. It makes me wonder how fresh the ethanol-free premium gas is that I have been buying the past two years. Given its high price, it can't be too popular, and might be sitting in the underground tank for 6 months, for all I know.

Now I have to decide what method I will use for storage at the end of winter. Letting ethanol-free gas + Sta-Bil sit in the tank and carb during storage has not been working for me.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Sub, sorry if I missed it somewhere, but are you using the E-start on this LCT? ...

Yes, it works great. Especially when the gasoline is fresh.
wink.gif

Yep fresh has is amazing. I nearly killed myself trying to start generator and blower. Then I drained the bowls and first pull they started.

Originally Posted By: SubLGT
Update: I drained most of the 1 year old fuel (Conoco 91oct, ethanol free, with Sta-bil) out of the tank and carb.

I wanted the freshest gasoline possible, so I went to one of the busiest stations in town and got a gallon of Conoco 87oct with 10% ethanol. Added Sta-Bil to it.

I put that in the tank, and the snowblower fired up on the first try! Hallelujah!

In 45 years of using OPE, I have never seen such a dramatic benefit from using fresh gasoline. It makes me wonder how fresh the ethanol-free premium gas is that I have been buying the past two years. Given its high price, it can't be too popular, and might be sitting in the underground tank for 6 months, for all I know.

Now I have to decide what method I will use for storage at the end of winter. Letting ethanol-free gas + Sta-Bil sit in the tank and carb during storage has not been working for me.

Drain it dry in the spring and refuel with fresh gas in the fall works for lots and lots of people including myself.

Originally Posted By: dave123
...Drain it dry in the spring and refuel with fresh gas in the fall works for lots and lots of people including myself.

That's what Toro recommends for their snow blowers.
But Ariens recommends storing wet with fuel stabilizer.
21.gif

A google search of "how to store my snow blower?" turns up a dozen or more different protocols. And for each protocol there are people who have had great success with it, and people who have had poor results. Absolutely no consensus.
crazy2.gif

I have a Poulan (stripped down Husqvarna) with a 291cc LCT. 7 months after I had bought it, when its tank was drained and it was shedded for the summer I went to check it out with some fresh fuel and it was a bear to start. Come winter I could not get it to fire at all. Turns out the rubber line for the breather and the primer rotted away. Appeared to be real [censored] quality. I replaced the primer line and this thing pull starts every time now. In -30c I prime it and one pull it is going.

I store it for most of the year with a full tank of E10 with stabil. It still starts first pull.

Its good to have a metal tank full of gas for storage, It keeps the tank from rusting. If too much good stuff cooks off, then drain the old stuff and replace with fresh. I don't use Stabil. I do use MMO and I run the carb dry after every use.

if you're concerned with storing it wet you can use True Fuel...or pour some fresh fuel in at the end of the season and run it dry...I usually run 'em dry and have zero problems starting them up with fresh fuel at the start of the next season.

Originally Posted By: andyd
Its good to have a metal tank full of gas for storage, It keeps the tank from rusting. If too much good stuff cooks off, then drain the old stuff and replace with fresh. I don't use Stabil. I do use MMO and I run the carb dry after every use.

That's true that these LCT engines do have metal tanks like most Chinese import OPE engines. It's probably not the best rustproof steel either. I know I ran mine dry with a heavy dose of StaBil and 2-stroke oil in the last bit of fuel. The fuel tank remained shiny new after ~9mo of clean/dry storage.

I found another 250 Sno-Tek owners who cured their "no start" problem with draining of the old fuel, and adding fresh fuel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxaGdb2Y2oc

Is the Sno-Tek unique in its hypersensitivity to old fuel, or does this also apply to all snow blower brands?

I have never had a problem starting my 25 year old Honda mower with gas that is 2-3 years old (and contains Sta-Bil)

My Tecumseh Yardman went to dealer every year for no start poor run. I would store it with fresh gas (E10 all I have) and Stabil. Dealer after 2-3 times told me the only thing he is getting is that my carb was gummed with Stabil every time. Told me do store it dry. Drain tank, run til it stops, start it again 3-4 times (it did), then drain bowel with spring plunger.

My problem was the heat in the shed would cook off the fuel and leave just Stabil. Non issue in winter temps for Lawn mower/ other OPE. I did what he said and didn't have to go back for start run issues for 5-6 years at least until I upgraded to newer machine. I store that the same way now with no issues.

My dad's Toro would not start this year so I took off the carb and soaked it in carb cleaner for an hour. Blew out all the holes with compressed air, mounted it back on and it runs like a champ.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: blueglide88
My dad's Toro would not start this year so I took off the carb and soaked it in carb cleaner for an hour. Blew out all the holes with compressed air, mounted it back on and it runs like a champ.

I spoke too soon! It's not starting again so I ordered a new carb off Amazon for $35. It's just not worth it to me to waste time screwing with that carb when I could buy new for that cheap. Keeping my fingers crossed
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back