Ariens single stange snowthrower.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTK

I picked up a little CL machine today for $100. An older Ariens SS522 2-stroke, single stage snowblower from it's original owner. It's well used, but very clean.

The rubber auger is worn past it's wear indicator, the scraper blade is shot and wheels are wobbly. It's probably going to cost me $120 for parts to get it like new.

Not sure if it's a Tecumseh "5hp" 2-stroke or a Suzuki, but it purrs like a kitten and barely takes a yank to start it.

This is what it looks like:

1142381-1.jpg

The motor is Tecumseh. I have worked on a few of these. Buy the Ariens OEM belt. Ariens uses off size length belts and the oem's are the only ones that work right. The only other issue can be the detent can get weak. The spring will weaken and the chute will move on its own. You can dis assemble it and use a good grease and get a new spring at the hardware store.

Try the following for belt/rubber parts. You will probably have to take the belt/rubber parts there. My Buffalo, NY buddy got parts cheap for his machine there.

Pooley Belt
207 W Huron St, Buffalo, NY 14201
(716) 852-3780

link: http://www.pooleyinc.com/index.html

Please post if you get lucky there.

Originally Posted By: JTK
I picked up a little CL machine today for $100. An older Ariens SS522 2-stroke, single stage snowblower from it's original owner. It's well used, but very clean.

The rubber auger is worn past it's wear indicator, the scraper blade is shot and wheels are wobbly. It's probably going to cost me $120 for parts to get it like new.

Not sure if it's a Tecumseh "5hp" 2-stroke or a Suzuki, but it purrs like a kitten and barely takes a yank to start it.

I had the exact same snowthrower. It's good snowblower for small snowfalls. Anything larger and you need to muscle it down your driveway. I upgraded to a two stage snowblower.

Regards, JC.

I have an old toro ccr 2450 that is a single stage beast.

I was carving knee deep icesnow (the snow thats refrozen after the plow throws slush 20ft into your yard)

with it.. Only problem I had was on the 3ft+ deep stuff that was hard frozen at the road. Took abit of effort.

Its light-years ahead of most of the 4cycle small snowblowers.

While maybe a nice find I think "Buffalo" and "single stage snowblower" is an oxymoron.

Unsure how much snow you need to handle, but if its more than a walkway, I think you need a two stage.

Those Tecumseh engines are actually a pleasure to work on and run really nice. No effort to start with a really nice purr and very little harshness when they have to rev up. I don't use them too often as I need more than 4-5hp and use the 6.5hp Lawn Boy/Briggs R-Tek engines. They're a lot more noisy and rough, but extremely powerful.

In lighter powder snow which is common in Buffalo, a single stager can go a long way and save you time and your back. I used to live near Syracuse on Lake Ontario and almost never needed to use the 2 stage until the snow exceeded 1.5-2'.

I get decent deals from Russo Power Equipment and I can see why yours is so expensive:
http://www.russopower.com/products/ariens-snow-blower-auger-impeller-scraper-kit/
The paddles are so needlessly complex it's scary.

Thanks for the input so far!

I just noticed I spelled "stage" wrong in my thread title. Ugh..

This is just an spare machine for me. My main snowblower is an older Yardman(MTD) 7hp, 24" 2-stage. I wanted something light and portable for the times I need to throw this in the back of my Subaru or minivan. The handlebar folds quick and easy and it fits well in the back of my little Subaru.

A few years back I was given a Toro CCR 2500 that I fixed up. Basically just had to clean the fuel system, replace the fuel line and primer bulb. It had the Suzuki 2-stroke in it. I used for a bit and regretfully sold it. It was nice to have as a back-up.

I am having a little twinge of regret with this one. Here's the parts list so far based on mail-order prices for OEM parts:

Auger and scraper kit: $94
Full wheel, axle kit: $40
Drive belt: $23

FWIW, it looks like the 'rubber paddle' kits for most of these type of machines are $60-80. Keep that in mind before you buy used.

I bought one of those a little higher on the food chain last "off season" for $75. Cleaned up the fuel system and sold it to my eye doctor for $100. I had told him I'd keep an "eye" out for one.

Originally Posted By: yeehaw1960
...sold it to my eye doctor for $100. I had told him I'd keep an "eye" out for one.

LOL!

Yeah, I could easily get away with just replacing the wheels (bores are wallowed out), new scraper blade, which is pretty much gone, and bolts for the scraper blade. All in about $40-50 shipped, but I'm going overboard replacing the ~$70 rubber auger as well seeing this unit may end up at my mother's house.

Ordered all from JacksSmallEngines for $129.81 shipped. Now have $230 into my CL purchase.

Prior to going this route, I was close to pulling the trigger on this> http://www.amazon.com/Poulan-Pro-9618200...ords=poulan+pro

Would have been about $100 more for something brand-new.

NO, First rule dont buy anything with poulan on it.
EVER EVER EVER EVER.
I'd take used name brand anything first.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
There's a guy on youtube that made his own rubber augers from the sidewall of an old tire.

That would take some serious doing for this particular machine. The two-piece rubber auger assembly is an engineering marvel. Like mentioned earlier.. Waaaay too complicated.

Ugh.. I used this Ariens today for the first time, er.. TRIED to use it I should say.

The Buffalo NY area got pounded today. We only got about 1.5ft out where I live, but this little Ariens was absolutely worthless trying to throw it. The drive belt seems nice and tight, but as soon as you bight into anything significant, the auger stops spinning.

Pulled out my trusty ~15yr/old Yardman 7hp, 24", only to have the recoil rope snap. Thank goodness for E-start on it which hasn't been used in years and took some coaxing.. Then the auger belt popped off! Wow what a bad day.. Got the belt back on and used it, but this stuff as really tough for a 2-stage even.

Last edited:
On this model blower, I have found that you need to use the Ariens OEM belt. Its a od length and the aftermarket equivalent just doesn't work right. Another thing on this blower, is the spring for the chute detent ball breaks. And the chute will move on its own. I was able to match up a spring from the hardware store, and it had more tension than the OEM spring.

Thanks.

Yeah, no idea on if the belt is OEM or not and indeed I don't have much detent to the chute rotate, but it mostly stays where you rotate it.

I'm totally up a creek at this point with the amount of snow I've got, trees down, little/no gasoline left and no place to get it.

Hang in there JTK! I know you guys already have 5 feet down and another 3 feet on the way.
eek.gif

If I had a spare machine, I'd give it to you. But even then, I think the Thruway is still closed so I don't know how you'd come get it.

This just goes to show that you can never have enough OPE.
wink.gif

Thanks Bror.

Pretty sure I'll keep atleast 2 totally functional snowblowers from now on, along with more fuel on hand!

The 4 feet of snow on my roof scares the heck out of me, but I've got absolutely no safe way to remove it. 5-6ft on the ground, with the ground layer all slushy because the ground is warm yet. It's that layer that's so tough on you and your equipment.

Originally Posted By: motorcity
The motor is Tecumseh. I have worked on a few of these. Buy the Ariens OEM belt. Ariens uses off size length belts and the oem's are the only ones that work right...

Ugh.. You are right on the money here. I purchased a supposed Ariens SS522 replacement belt from eBay. $11.99 shipped to the door. It's a "made in USA" belt but doesn't fit. Quite a bit too short.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back