Tecumseh 7 HP 2 Cycle Engine Doesn't Exist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the Ariens web site for snowblowers, there is a Single Stage Ariens 722 EC. (Model 938018 ?). It is listed as having a 7 HP Tecumseh 2 cycle engine.

"Wow," I said to myself. That would make it the most powerful 2 cycle, single stage snowblower that money can buy. I always loved the superior power to weight ratio of two cycle engines, along with their simplicity and durability. I wanted to know how this engine differs from the more common 5 HP Tecumseh, 2 cycle engine in Ariens other snowblowers. (They both list at 139 cc). If you try to get information out of Ariens, you get NOTHING. They couldn't even tell me how much torque either engine made. But the "7 HP" engine will cost you an additional $ 80. Go figure. Next, I tried getting information from Tecumseh. They told me the following " They have never made a 2 cycle, single stage engine over 5 HP".

I was puzzled and stunned. So what do we have here? Is it a case of corporate marketing at its best? Inflated horsepower ratings? 7 HP measured by "smaller ponies"? Or is it why Tecumseh is getting out of the small engine business? I thought this might be a small, light and powerful (F 16 like) snow toy that could outpower the Toro and Honda snowblowers that landscapers and contractors use for sidewalks and drive. If anyone knows any more about the origins, "differences", and torque ratings of this engine, let me know. I am just clueless.

Well, I have one of those Ariens 722 EC blowers and it will out blow any single stage Toro that I've seen and some of their smaller dual stage ones. I'm pretty sure when I replaced the belt last year there was a 7hp sticker on the engine. I will have to try and locate my owners manual. It has a seperate Tecumseh manual with it.

Nice brochure. I had not seen that one. The only problem is, try getting any Tecumseh information about that particular Snow King premium 7 HP engine - even though it is in the Tecumseh brochure. They continue to insist that they did not make anything over 5 HP. Good luck trying to get more information! At first, they thought that Snow King Premium 2 cycle engine was model HSK850 or 840. But that is just 5 HP. My thinking now is maybe the 7 Horse version is a cheap Chinese clone engine or something (an orphan child not recognized by Tecumseh).

Quote:
Well, I have one of those Ariens and it will out blow any.............

Johnny,

based on your kind words about Arien, can she spend the night at my house tonight!
27.gif

If it is listed as the same displacement as the 5HP, my guess is that it is in a higher state of tune. OR, it may be run at a bit more RPM.

In any case, I would not avoid it on the basis of lack of information.

Good 2 stroke engines are getting quite hard to find. And, as you guessed, the power to weight is nearly impossible to beat.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back