Single stage 2-cycle snowblower?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTK

My in-laws were given a snowblower a while back. Not wanting it, my MIL's intentions were to sell at it a yard sale, etc. After sitting in their garage for a year or so, and Gawd knows how long before that, my MIL asked me to see if I could get it running and determine what it's worth. It's a Toro CCR 2000 4.5hp. A little single stage 2-stroke jobby with the rubber paddle/auger. Obviously it wouldn't start. It had a half a tank of premix so old it didn't smell like gasoline anymore. I took the shrouding off, flushed the tank, had to replace the primer bulb that was dried and cracked, replaced the fuel filter and spark plug, checked the auger drive belt, pullies and idler, added a little fresh 50:1 and she sparked right up! It appears to have been garage kept since the machine looks fairly new for being a 1995 model year per toro.com. Much to my surprise, the 4.5hp 2 cycle on it is a Suzuki. The same engine found on the high dollar commercial Toro 2-stroke push mower they made awhile back. My question is, are these babies worth keeping? I already own a YardMan 2 stage walk-behind. Other than being light and portable, are there advantages of these small single stagers? It has no throttle control and the governed RPM seems to be quite low for a 2-stroke. The auger does whizz along pretty good at that speed anyway. I only spent an hour or two cleaning this one up, but of course being a fuel burning piece of equipment, I've grown fond of it.
smirk.gif
Should I keep it? Awe.... can we keep it mah?

Joel

Unless a person has a driveway the size of a football field, I haven't recommended anything but a 2 stroke, single stage snow blower for awhile. They're light, easier to dig out, MUCH less complicated to maintain, usually much easier to get going on a very cold day, and just generally less of a pain than their self-propelled, 4 stroke brothern. I have two 4 strokers and two 2 strokers. I generally get out the Echo 2 stroker and get it ready for the season. Unfortunately, I don't sell them anymore, because like riders, they keep coming back needing nickles and dimes and I have one of those things...what are they called? Oh yeah, a conscience. CR#P!

I have a similar model Toro. It's great for our winters, where I only need to use it about 3-6 times per year. Easy to start, reliable, and good up to about 12" deep drifts. The smaller size makes for easier storage for the remainder of the year.

However, I don't know how suitable it'd be for the massive snowfall that Buffalo gets each winter....

I have that exact Toro and I can tell you it has amazed me with the amount of snow it will move. Mind you if won't to wonders with the heavy, crusty snow the local plow driver puts in the driveway but the little thing does work well. Mine was bought in 1987 and still starts within 2-3 pulls.

I have an oil Toro, that I've used for 5 years. It's better then any two stage blower IMO. It starts on the first pull, even with last year's gas, it blows snow 20-30 feet, and in summer I can hang it on the wall. The only downside to mine is that it doesn't have a nozzle like the newer ones. Only once or twice a year do we get more then 8" and it will still work for that, you just have to nibble at it.

Bottom line, without all the hassle of maintenance on a big blower I can have my driveway done before the neighbor gets their's started.

-T

I had the exact same Toro. I gave it away this past Spring. You guys in the Mid-West probably tend to get dry and light weight snow. Here in the NY snow typically tends to be very heavy and wet. Anything deeper than 3 or 4 inches and the Toro struggles and often stalls. And if you are lucky it will throw wet snow maybe three or four feet. I have a large driveway and for 2 years I fought with that Toro. A foot of snow? Forget it! Get the shovel out. A 2 stage snowblower is mandatory in these parts. JTK, I live in Southern NY so I don't see anywhere near the amount of snow you get in Buffalo. My recommendation is to use the Toro in light snowfalls and on sidewalks only. Anything larger and I guarantee you will be frustrated.

So what did I replace the Toro with? This past Spring a neighbor down the street lost their house due to fore closer. They had a yard sale and were selling out. He had a 1 year old Sears 26" two stage with a 9HP Tecumseh. The price? An incredible $150! I felt like I was stealing it but that's all he wanted. I tried it out and it works perfectly. So I "Summerized it" and it's waiting for the first snow.

I agree with Axe Man's assessment of the snow situation. In my area as well the only time we get light fluffy snow is when there's very little of it. Any time there's significant snowfall it's usually accompanied by rain or freezing rain, and there's more than a foot of it.

I "inherited" a 1986 Toro 8hp 2-stage from my dad that's chugging along well but needs some odds and ends like fuel line and a carb rebuild. It tend to still plug up or barely chug along through some of the tough stuff. Before my dad bought this model in 1986, he had a 5-hp 2-stage Toro he was really impressed with. Apparently it plugged up less, and threw farther than the new 8hp. Go figure. Slightly different design and higher rpm possibly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back