Toro R Tek (Duraforce) vs Suzuki Snowblower Quest

Status
Not open for further replies.
All you knowledgeable 2 stroke, Single Stage Snowblower users - time to check in.

I was looking for a powerful single stage snowblower that could handle 8 - 14" of Michigan snow. My 20 year old 3 HP Snapper is just overmatched most years. As a result, I have to use my trusty shovel and strong back! I have a fairly long double wide paved driveway. I needed something that could store in a small area, clear down to the pavement and be a better match for the end of the drive plow buildup. I found a old single stage Toro CCR 3000 with a 5HP Suzuki engine (9 year old?) for cheap. It had been sitting in storage for a number of years and was not barely scratched.

I saw on an old post on another forum the following Horsepower ratings given out by a Toro customer service rep:

Engine / Gross HP / Net HP / Torque

Toro R tek 6.5 / 4 @4000rpm / 6 ft/lbs@ 2800 rpm
3650 (Lawn
Boy Duratec)

Snow Commander 6.5 / 4.2@3000 / 6.4 ft/lbs@ 2600rpm
(Lawn Boy Dura-
tec)

Suzuki CCR 5 / 5 @ 3700 rpm / no listing
3000 (Commercial
Engine? - accord-
ing to a dealer)

I found this pretty interesting. EPA regulations apparently took a bite out the net HP, according to the customer rep.

Question:

Some of you have used this old 2 cycle engine in its Lawn Mower variation. Is it really this powerful in the real world? I own the Lawn Boy 6.5 hp Duraforce powered lawn mower and I was surprised at these figures. So my question to you guys are:

1) Anyone experienced with this Suzuki engine?
2) If not, can anyone make a Single Stage snowblower recommendation? I have heard that Ariens makes a 7 hp Single Stage.

I've got a mid 1990's model Toro CCR2000 with the 5hp Suzuki. It was given to my by a family member. I also own a larger 2 stage snowblower. Just tried the toro for the first time a week or two ago. Actually surprized at how well it chews through plow mounds and cleans right down to the pavement. It actually tries to pull right out of your grip. My only complaints are; It's small if you are used to a 2-stager, have to make more passes and you will sink like exhaust fumes when you are done. Great little engine though! Pretty fuel efficient too.

That "Lawnboy" engine is now made by Briggs.

I would have to say that the Suzuki is more powerful than the "Lawnboy" engine. Toro does not sell one with the Suzuki anymore though.

I have an 87 CCR2000 with the Suzuki engine. Fired up with one pull after summer storage. It works really well but you do stink pretty bad of fumes when you're done. I'm not sure what I will replace it with when it dies.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Is the duraforce loud?

Dunno about the others, but the Suzuki 2-stroke is definitely louder than the my 4-stroke 7hp Tecumseh OHV, Yardman 2 stage blower. The Suzuki has a decent sized muffler, but you get a lot of the intake noise common on 2-cycles. When you load up the Toro, you get the loud 2-cycle Wahhhhhhhhhh! Another bad about the small single stagers is they can't handle heavy stuff nearly as well as a bigger 2 stage. That's pretty obvious though. That's why they are small and light.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back