Are you using a 4k TV yet?

No 4K TV yet but I do have 2 standard HD TVs side by side; does that make me 4K?

My current TVs:
Panasonic TCP50VT25 plasma for general cable TV and Blu-ray player.
Sony KDL-47W802A LED LCD for games (HDMI PS4pro & Nintendo Switch, Wii / PS2 (component input).

I bought a Panasonic TC-P50VT25 plasma TV in 2010. It came with 3D but I didn't buy it for the 3D although it is quite nice once in a while. I was already impressed initially and after a few hundred hours of operation, I had Best Buy come out and calibrate the TV and Panasonic Blu-ray player. It took a while to go through all of the different settings because they calibrated each input differently. The first time I saw how different my cable input looked, I was shocked at the difference and how much better everything looked. I almost shed a tear due to how incredible the Blu-ray movie I watched looked (one of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies). I felt that calibration was worth at least 3 times the money I spent for it, it was that noticeable and that good. Connected to the plasma, my PS2 looked really good as well but I did notice a slight delay between what I did on the controller and what happened on screen; I didn't know why at the time.

A few years later, I moved out of the country and the plasma went into storage. At my new location, I bought a Sony KDL-47W802A LED LCD TV. Much different than the plasma. After a few hundred hours of operation, and since Best Buy wasn't an option for me at the time, I started with the CNET calibration settings posted for the same 55" display and then I played with the AVS HD 709, DVE HD BASICS, and Disney WOW HD calibration disks. It took quite a while to go through the disks and menus, and I realized that this TV was going to be ok for what I was looking for but certainly not comparable to the Panasonic in storage. The calibration disks certainly did help compared to the standard settings. Anyhow, I did find that the input lag from the PS2 was gone. After looking at this CNET article, I realized the Sony had one of the shortest lag input times for game mode (at the time), especially compared to the plasma (I don't recall what the lag time was, I just know it was noticeable), which explained why it felt so different, and better, for games than the plasma. A few years later, I got the PS4 pro. It's great that the lag time is not noticeable, and the picture is decent for games, but I don't have HDR or other enhancements that I can take advantage of the PS4 graphics.

Once I came back to the states a few years ago, the plasma was brought out of storage and I found it still worked, so I kept it as my main viewing TV, with the Sony right next to it as my gaming TV.
If I move again, or the Panasonic goes out, I will look at the latest Sony OLED 4K TVs (maybe 8K?) and will surely connect the PS4 pro to it. Definitely a PS5 in my future with a better TV.

I have a 50" Vizio 4k hdr smart tv.
No idea how the 4k is as I don't have anything that supports it.
Got it for $2.98 due to pricing error.

Back