Are you tire brand loyal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm getting to be Tire Brand loyal ... I've been buying tires since 1964 in passenger car, light truck and over the road trucking sizes. I've bought bias play, radial, off-road, tractor and motorcycle. I've had perfectly good looking Michelin's blow out or go flat on the highway. I've had Goodyear's shred in the desert. Had some squirmy motorcycle tires and some Firestone's you could not balance no matter what ...

Along the way, I had good service from Kenda for quite a few motorcycles. So over the last decade or so, I have tried them in a few car sizes. One pair of Kenda Kenetica's I bought for the front of a drag car mounted per instructions - yellow dot to valve stem location and they required ZERO wheel weights to balance. That's a first for me
smile.gif

So I've been trying them more and more. Had good luck with each set I install
smile.gif

Good wear, round and they balance. Roll easy enough and work
smile.gif

Im not 100% loyal, but I usually lean towards Continental, good blend of value and performance. Ill go with whatever good name tire is on sale/rebate/closeout. Nothing from China or Korea ever. Dont cheap out on things between you and the ground.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Not loyal at all, will buy the best tire for my needs, whatever it is.

+1

It seems that Conti, Michelin and Pirelli receive top marks from CR for passenger car all-season tires. Obviously tire model matters a lot as well. All brands seem to have their stinkers. So beware of those.

Money no object Michelin.

But also happy with Goodyear/Dunlop/Hankook or Nexen

I used to fit Toyo Proxe8 a lot back in the late 90's through to 2009 when I last fitted them to my 2005 Ford Mondeo

Originally Posted By: bigjl

I used to fit Toyo Proxe8 a lot back in the late 90's through to 2009 when I last fitted them to my 2005 Ford Mondeo

My last Toyo's left me disappointed they lost!

Not 100% loyal, but I really like the Yokohama tires (Avid ENVigor, in particular) I've purchased and will likely stick with them. Nice performance at a good price. I've heard they tend to wear faster but we don't put a lot of miles on each year so that's not a factor.

Pirelli and Michelin have always been my top choice, but the vehicles I drive have cheap sizes where the difference between premium and good value is only $10-25 / tire. Being an F1 and rally junkie might also have an effect on my thinking.

Yes and no. And often when i stray away i am pleasantly surprised. Also when I fall in love with a tire...they either drop my size or stop making it. So I am forced to change

I tend to lean towards Hankook or Cooper for most tires. Had a set on a past Malibu and they were great. Got a pair of chinese Sentury UHP tires on one car and so far I absolutely love them. Coopers for my current Malibu. Cooper snows on the wifes Spark and Toyo T1R for summer. General snows on my Yaris and Dunlops for summer...however I plan to try Yokohama tires again. Also hoosiers for road racing. Firestone winterforce snows on the Forester.

Last edited:
Loyal/Disloyal maybe? I stay away from Falken after being disappointed by wear and ride 3 times.Most tires I will try and see. BFG I like best for A/T tires. That is really the only 2 brands I like and dislike.

Michelin.
Other then that also: Continental, Bridgestone, Pirelli.
Willing to try some other brands if there is big noise about it as long as brand is reputable (I just did that with Nokian R2 on Tiguan).

Originally Posted By: digitalSniperX1
Michelin Pilot Super Sport.

Had them, they were greatest just before the intro of the Pilot Super Sport 4S. As good as Pss's were the 4S whips them in every way. Even supposed to wear better!

Only have about a thousand miles on them but wow is the best word to describe them.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
We would switch in a minute when someone offered an E rated truck tire at a better quality/price.

Ever tried a Bridgestone Duravis?

For truck sizes: Treadwright. Would never use anything else, they are that good. Not quite 20K on my wife's Blazer, almost no wear and they grip quite well in snow.

Car tires, not really-at this point, my main thing is finding something not from China. (Current tires on my Vic are Korean-made Nexens.)

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

Which Toyo tyre was it?

I did fit Toyo tyres to my Seat Toledo in 99 but no Proxes in the and they were good enough.

But most of my experience of Toyo tyres is with the T1S and newer T1R.

I personally preferred the T1S but they were noisier and wore out faster than the T1R.

I am a 90's boy racer at heart I suspect and the T1S was the tyre to have (in the UK) not sure how popular they were in the US or Canada

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

Which Toyo tyre was it?

I did fit Toyo tyres to my Seat Toledo in 99 but no Proxes in the and they were good enough.

But most of my experience of Toyo tyres is with the T1S and newer T1R.

I personally preferred the T1S but they were noisier and wore out faster than the T1R.

I am a 90's boy racer at heart I suspect and the T1S was the tyre to have (in the UK) not sure how popular they were in the US or Canada

It was their 100,000 mile warranty tire. I'd had three sets of them. The last two were way short of the mileage. I'm not hard on tires. I usually get the wear rating out of them or very closely. But now I'm retire and drive much less and have gone to the Hankook's which appear to be working well so far second rotation coming up on those is less than 3000 miles. Toyo won't be selling me another tire. There are to many other cheaper more competitive tires that wear as well or better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back