Are you experiencing any mail delays?

Sent two samples to Blackstone at the same time from the same post office - one has already been processed and the other has not arrived. Definitely had some delays over the past year.

People always blame the other guy in anything government. That's how politics work. We blame someone when it was too expensive, then when they cut down on service we blame them again for not providing services we used to have.

I think the mandate to have 3 day 1st class across the whole nation makes no sense to begin with other than as a subsidy to the airlines. I would be happy to get delivery once a week, before trash day (or have an option to authorize USPS to deliver junk mail right into my recycle bin), and will tolerate multi-tier services and rename 1st class to 2nd class and priority to 1st class. Giving them an extra week should let them centralize all mail to the largest city of a state and do central sorting, and send one 1 truck to each city once a week to deliver it once a week.

Well, guess what, people who complain about USPS costing "their tax money" from rural community are going to be the one who got the short end of the stick and they will come back and complain that USPS sucks even more now. I don't know, maybe we should have 2 tier delivery cost so we can charge the rural community more to provide the same service? It sounds unfair but that's the true cost to keep the same service to them to match a big city of 500k population.

Better of having USPS require every neighborhood to have a neighorhood mail center vs. delivering to every mailbox. Would save exponential cost. And make it actually possible to have these electric vehicles they think they can use.

Somehow USPS's failings are Trumps fault, though. Nevermind the decades of disasterous management beforehand.
I didn't see anybody blame Trump. I AM blaming the current postmaster general (who was put into place by Republican-nominated USPS board members) who is LITERALLY THE ONE who implemented all the cuts last year that caused service slowdowns. Removed sorting machines, banned overtime for delivery workers. There are dozens of examples of postal workers who said that they'd work every night until every package & letter was delivered. Now, they have to let them sit overnight at the post office because overtime was banned. That this slowed the mail and made it less reliable is not in doubt. And the PMG has continued to push further reforms that will make it even slower and less reliable.

This shouldn't be news to anyone. This isn't "fake news". This is REALITY. Regardless of who is to "blame" that is the current facts. The PMG needs to be removed and proper USPS service restored. Oh, and while we're at it, let's get rid of that ridiculous mandate that says USPS has to prefund retiree benefits 75 years in advance, which is the sole reason the USPS has been in the red for years. No other agency or company anywhere is required to do this. Get rid of that, and the USPS will be fine, and be able to fulfill the critical function which they are intended to serve.

Better of having USPS require every neighborhood to have a neighorhood mail center vs. delivering to every mailbox. Would save exponential cost. And make it actually possible to have these electric vehicles they think they can use.
Why "they think they can use"? It's perfectly possible to use them. Electric vehicles are BETTER at the sort of work postal trucks do, than ICE. Regenerative braking is a huge benefit for vehicles which constantly start/stop moving, and they burn no fuel while "idling" Unless you're talking about really long rural routes, which if they are longer than the range of a truck (seems unlikely there are many of these) they can still use ICE powered trucks.

Let's not trying to make this any more political and get this locked.

The way USPS work has changed a lot since the Internet came along, it is a fact and not political. The way things are funded (by postage paid and shortfall government subsidized) has not change, the rules have not change (delivery timeline).

What can you do with the latest mess we have? We either change the services (move sorting to centralized location for economy of scale), or we pay more. We can reduce delivery frequency (to rural area with insufficient volume) or we pay more. We can charge different amount from different location (to rural area with insufficient density) or we pay more in high density area (cities). We can deliver to city post office only and let the local city post office deal with the rest of the local delivery with their own funding or creativity (that would be a political firestorm) or we will pay more.

The above arguments have nothing to do with union retirement or who nominated who to run the Postmaster General position. They are fundamental finance.

Let's not trying to make this any more political and get this locked.

The way USPS work has changed a lot since the Internet came along, it is a fact and not political. The way things are funded (by postage paid and shortfall government subsidized) has not change, the rules have not change (delivery timeline).

What can you do with the latest mess we have? We either change the services (move sorting to centralized location for economy of scale), or we pay more. We can reduce delivery frequency (to rural area with insufficient volume) or we pay more. We can charge different amount from different location (to rural area with insufficient density) or we pay more in high density area (cities). We can deliver to city post office only and let the local city post office deal with the rest of the local delivery with their own funding or creativity (that would be a political firestorm) or we will pay more.

The above arguments have nothing to do with union retirement or who nominated who to run the Postmaster General position. They are fundamental finance.
Except the USPS should not be run as a for-profit company. Like in other countries, the USPS should be run as a non-profit public-benefit corporation. And everyone should recognize the benefits of having inexpensive, fast, reliable shipping service. Yes, that means it should be subsidized if necessary, because the economic benefits outweigh the costs. And again, you can say "this has nothing to do with union retirement" but that's fundamentally untrue, as that is a massive part of the USPS current negative cash flow. Remove that, and they stand a much better shot at not requiring much subsidy without massive cuts that hurts everyone.

Except the USPS should not be run as a for-profit company. Like in other countries, the USPS should be run as a public-benefit corporation. And everyone should recognize the benefits of having inexpensive, fast, reliable shipping service. Yes, that means it should be subsidized if necessary, because the economic benefits outweigh the costs. And again, you can say "this has nothing to do with union retirement" but that's fundamentally untrue, as that is a massive part of the USPS current negative cash flow. Remove that, and they stand a much better shot at not requiring much subsidy without massive cuts that hurts everyone.

I think you need to convince a lot of people first. These days we cannot even get free online tax filing because TurboTax say it is not fair to them.

I think you need to convince a lot of people first. These days we cannot even get free online tax filing because TurboTax say it is not fair to them.
It's hard to convince people that don't want to be convinced. And I believe at some point something changed regarding that, and the IRS will now be allowed to offer free tax prep software (over the objections of HRBlock/TurboTax and co). And in a similar vein, having low cost, fast and reliable shipping is a benefit to anybody- people who order stuff online, companies that are migrating to online sales as a larger percentage of their business, and so on. I've said it before, but if you look at the cost of shipping most items via USPS, and then compare to UPS or Fedex, it's not even close. This is another example of something that other countries figured out long ago, but we keep trying to reinvent the wheel, and ultimately the general direction is to defer more to companies who gain nothing by lowering prices for consumers or companies alike.

Similar reasons as to why municipalities should be able to offer low cost broadband provided by a non profit set up exclusively for this purpose. Because trusting Spectrum/Comcast/Verizon/etc to ever lower prices is a losing battle. It will never, ever, ever happen. They have no fiduciary responsibility to do so. A municipal run internet service exists solely to provide reasonable cost, fast internet to the people that live there.

It's hard to convince people that don't want to be convinced. And I believe at some point something changed regarding that, and the IRS will now be allowed to offer free tax prep software (over the objections of HRBlock/TurboTax and co). And in a similar vein, having low cost, fast and reliable shipping is a benefit to anybody- people who order stuff online, companies that are migrating to online sales as a larger percentage of their business, and so on. I've said it before, but if you look at the cost of shipping most items via USPS, and then compare to UPS or Fedex, it's not even close. This is another example of something that other countries figured out long ago, but we keep trying to reinvent the wheel, and ultimately the general direction is to defer more to companies who gain nothing by lowering prices for consumers or companies alike.
You are dealing with human nature. Human nature says we all want something that others are paying for, but we don't want to pay for somethings that other people want.

Wake me up when you fix that problem.

Your Yearly Reminder :

This is probably the busiest time of the year for mail delivery so you may want to send bills out as soon as you get them . Last year I sent my mortgage bill out the usual time ( 5 days ahead ) and got there three weeks late .

^^^ Pay bills on-line, cut out the middle-man (USPS). No delays. ;)

. Last year I sent my mortgage bill out the usual time ( 5 days ahead ) and got there three weeks late .
A few evenings ago, I attended a church council meeting. (Just a meeting where current events are discussed) The treasurer stated that he had received a notice in the mail that the electricity bill hadn’t been paid and services were set to be discontinued on a stated date. That date just happened to be the next day. He looked in the checkbook and saw that the payment check had been mailed three weeks before the due date. In a panic, he called the electric company and told them that the check had been mailed. The lady answering the phone said the delinquent received checks have gone up exponentially in the past couple of years. Looking at the postmarks on the letters, it hasn’t been the payer’s fault, it’s been the mail service.
I use the same electric supplier. It’s in the same state, and only about 30 minutes away by car, but the mail goes all the way across the state and then comes all the way back. In theory, it should be overnight.
Unfortunately, like what our electric supplier is saying, quite often takes three weeks.
While our electric supplier does have an online bill pay feature, my wife looked into it and it appears to be a royal PITA.
So we still pay by check using the USPS. We just drop the payment in the mail the day after we get it.

In Houston they are pulling up the Public mailboxes, can't keep the theives out of em. Sometimes they take the whole thing. One business park set up cameras on their own, caught the thieves on camera. Post Office got em then let em go. They went right back to stealing.......Business Park called the Postal Inspector-he said call the cops. Ridiculous.

“……My apologizes to the moderators as I realize this will most likely turn political. But what is going on with out postal system is bad.

Fellow BITOG people, please keep any political content out of your replies.

The post office sorting system was gutted in 2018-2019. Something to do with suppression of mail-in ballots.

Is that neutral enough ?

In Houston they are pulling up the Public mailboxes, can't keep the theives out of em. Sometimes they take the whole thing. One business park set up cameras on their own, caught the thieves on camera. Post Office got em then let em go. They went right back to stealing.......Business Park called the Postal Inspector-he said call the cops. Ridiculous.
Of course, let everyone go when caught doing a federal felony crime, lol. :rolleyes:

1698615470944.png

The post office sorting system was gutted in 2018-2019. Something to do with suppression of mail-in ballots.

Is that neutral enough ?
I'm not sure what you mean exactly but if I mail a letter at the local post office it gets sent 35 miles away to a sorting center first .

Back