Are you a Quicken software aficionado?

I'd like to start using Quicken for my personal finances, monthly bill accounting, etc.. I don't like Quicken's "new" model of purchasing and renewing every year. I much prefer buying the software CD and not needing to renew anything. I'd likely not need computer support because my degree is Computer Science.

:)

My financial situation is pretty simple (banking, retirement account, etc.) so I don't need the "Premier" edition, the "Deluxe" should be just fine.

Is there anything wrong with buying, maybe from eBay, etc., a 2017 or 2018 version of Quicken and call it good?

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Ed

The main issue will be getting all of the stuff from your checking account into Quicken. I setup Quickbooks for my church when I was treasurer and once we went to printing all checks via Quickbooks we had almost zero errors in what the check was written for vs what was entered in Quickbooks. But many people write few checks these days. There are likely more charges via debit card and ACH of money going in and out. All of that needs to get into Quicken some way.

Agree on the dislike of Quicken's current model. But to their point, I am still using Quicken from 2013 to keep track of our finances :)

I don't have anything linked electronically - we hand enter everything still...

I've used Quicken 2017 and now 2020 and can tell you that nothing has changed for your purposes. Dropped support would be your biggest issue I think.

Their annual model gets them more money. At one point I was using their rental property product for years. It finally had too many problems because it was too old so I've been stuck with their annual model. They do have decent sales on it and if you time it right, sometimes Amazon sells 15 month versions and you can let it expire for 3 months before renewing as it only grabs the last 3 months worth of data.

I'd like to start using Quicken for my personal finances, monthly bill accounting, etc.. I don't like Quicken's "new" model of purchasing and renewing every year. I much prefer buying the software CD and not needing to renew anything. I'd likely not need computer support because my degree is Computer Science.

:)

My financial situation is pretty simple (banking, retirement account, etc.) so I don't need the "Premier" edition, the "Deluxe" should be just fine.

Is there anything wrong with buying, maybe from eBay, etc., a 2017 or 2018 version of Quicken and call it good?

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Ed
I have a window version of Quick 2008 Home & Bus that I use on a Laptop (dvd version) and a downloaded Quick 2017 on my iMac.
The ONLY thing you lose if you don't renew is the ability to download transactions from the banks. If you don't download and use it like a ledger as I do, there is no need to renew. You can also save the download onto a thumb drive incase you need to re-install it.

I have a window version of Quick 2008 Home & Bus that I use on a Laptop (dvd version) and a downloaded Quick 2017 on my iMac.
The ONLY thing you lose if you don't renew is the ability to download transactions from the banks. If you don't download and use it like a ledger as I do, there is no need to renew. You can also save the download onto a thumb drive incase you need to re-install it.
ah HA! So while you can't "automagically" download from your bank directly into Quicken, you probably CAN do (what I call) a two-step import?...i.e., download your data from your bank (and save the file) and then import that file into Quicken? There's an extra step (or two) involved, but you get the same net result?

Correct?

Ed

ah HA! So while you can't "automagically" download from your bank directly into Quicken, you probably CAN do (what I call) a two-step import?...i.e., download your data from your bank (and save the file) and then import that file into Quicken? There's an extra step (or two) involved, but you get the same net result?
Correct?
Ed
I would think so, but I've never tried it as I don't use it that way.

Back