Looking for PC Recommendations

I have a laptop that I bought used about 10 years ago, and my wife has one that is a little newer (about 2 yrs old).

However, now that we have kids, and a house, I’d like to get a PC for everyone to be able to use, for convenience.

Sure, most anything can be looked up on phones, but there are times when a PC is much more convenient, and sometimes the software is needed for certain things (Word, Excel, etc).

I’d also like for our kids (ages: 2, 1, and 3 months) to grow up much more computer-literate and skilled than I did (I’m 43, and I feel like I just “get by” with regard to computer literacy - there are things I’ve had to learn for work, but I’ve never been happy with my computer/software skills).

We don’t do any gaming. This would be purely for internet use, composing letters and printing when we need to, possibly storing certain files occasionally, etc.

I’ve gotten used to having 2 monitors at work, and I now prefer that setup. So I would like to have 2 monitors.

What is important to me is having snappy response/performance, being “future-proof”, or at least upgradable, having up-to-date hardware (I don’t want to buy something that’s already out of date), having nice, large screens, and a nice keyboard (I’d like a keyboard with backlighting).

So, my question for you computer gurus is, is there a brand/model, that stands out as the “standard” for our use case?

Something else: My wife and I both really like Apple (I have an iPhone 11 and she has, I believe, a 13 ProMax), and would never consider a different brand/OS phone. My mom also had an Apple laptop years ago that I was always very impressed with its quality. However, it was very, very expensive. So that’s why I haven’t really considered going that route. But has anything changed? Are Apple computers still super expensive?

I like to get a lot for my money.

So what computer, monitors, keyboard should I get? Are there package deals these days?

I have not started looking yet, at all.

Thanks!

Apple computers can be very expensive. Apple computers are more than the super budget friendly options. The biggest issue I've had with Macs are adapters, everything needs an adapter.

The Mac Mini starts at $599. It only has one HDMI port, but a Thunderbolt to HDMI adapter is reasonable.

The biggest choice you have to make with the Mini is how much storage do you want. Apple gouges for storage upgrades IMO, such as to go from 256GB to 512 GB is an extra $200. However, cloud usage can work to your benefit. I've heard that the built in Apple office software is decent, so you shouldn't need to buy the Microsoft subscription.

For your usage, ram isn't a major concern (with a Mac) because of how they're doing their processors and such now. The base 8GB would not be fun if you got heavy into graphics/editing/etc.

For monitors, I've been using two HP M27ha at work for over a year and love the size. They're reasonably priced, but they probably wouldn't be the best for gaming, but that isn't a concern.

Keyboards and mice: Logitech. Don't need anything special, just sort for your requirements and I agree, backlighting is a big requirement.

With all that said.....

You could easily get away with a Chromebook with an external screen attached.
You could also likely get away with an iPad Air with an external screen attached, add a bluetooth keyboard and mouse and you have a little work station that can turn portable really easy.

If you plan on staying with iPhones, a Mac with the M2 chip starts at $999 at Costco. The Apple products are top of the line quality. Owners love them; there's a reason for it.

One thing to remember, or at least to check out, is schools today are using Chromebooks due to their low cost and cloud based architecture. They are super easy to use and are more immune to viruses. I use a Google Pixelbook which is a higher end Chromebook. I love my Chromie. You can get a Lenovo Flex with an i3 chip at Costco for $500. Rock solid. I do not consider them as good for Word, Excel, etc. That may be a problem...

I love Windows PCs. I use a powerful Dell for database and application development. From a cost standpoint, they are in between IOS and Chrome. I like Dell, Microsoft and Lenovo in general, but HP and others have come a long way. Costco has a Lenovo Flex and IdeaPad with the Ryzen chip for $600. Great machines.

For Chrome and Windows, you cannot go wrong with Asus and Acer brands. They are super solid builds and can save a little money for that extra monitor.
The reason I steer people towards Costco is they offer an additional year to manufacturer warranty and their return policy is 2nd to none.

Good luck. By the way, we probably have 50 computers in our home, from tablets to custom built powerhouse servers. My wife was in charge of WW computers at a $12B Silicon Valley company.

With all that said.....

You could easily get away with a Chromebook with an external screen attached.
You could also likely get away with an iPad Air with an external screen attached, add a bluetooth keyboard and mouse and you have a little work station that can turn portable really easy.
I think with your planned usage something like a Chromebook would be fine. I'd say most people don't even need a fraction of the processing power most PC's offer. If you're just doing basic things on it, I'd go the inexpensive route and just buy another one in 5 years or so.

It sounds like you're in search of a reliable and future-proof PC for your family. Given your fondness for Apple products, it may be worth considering an iMac, especially as it would provide a seamless integration with your existing Apple devices. However, if budget is a concern, there are indeed a myriad of other options that you can explore.

Apple's iMac

Apple's iMacs are renowned for their user-friendly interface, sleek design, and top-tier build quality. iMacs come with a beautiful and sharp Retina Display, are extremely responsive, and are equipped with the latest hardware. Their operating system, macOS, provides a seamless experience with your iPhones. It's worth noting that they tend to have a longer lifespan compared to many Windows-based PCs, which, in the long run, can justify their higher initial price tag.

However, Apple's iMacs come as all-in-one computers (meaning the computer hardware is built into the monitor), so you would need to purchase a secondary monitor separately if you want a dual-screen setup.

Windows-Based Alternatives

If Apple's pricing is a deterrent, you might want to consider Windows-based alternatives. Brands like Dell, HP, and Lenovo offer a variety of desktops that would meet your needs. You can opt for an all-in-one or a traditional tower setup.

If you're looking for a brand that provides a good balance between price, performance, and reliability, Dell's Inspiron line is a solid option. HP's Pavilion series also gets good reviews for general computing needs.

When buying, look for a PC with at least an Intel Core i5 or AMD Ryzen 5 processor (or higher), 16GB of RAM, and a solid-state drive (SSD) for storage to ensure a snappy performance. All these are quite standard for any modern computer and should suffice for many years.

Monitors

As for the dual-monitor setup, brands like Dell, ASUS, and HP offer a range of monitors from budget to premium. Choose a size that suits your needs (usually 24" to 27" is adequate for most users), and make sure the monitor has an IPS panel for better viewing angles and color accuracy.

Keyboards

Backlit keyboards are common these days. Logitech and Corsair are known for their reliable and comfortable keyboards, both offering various models with backlighting.

Package Deals

Package deals vary by retailer and time of year. It's always worth checking major retailers and manufacturer websites for any ongoing sales or bundles that include the PC, monitor, and sometimes even peripherals.

Ultimately, the choice between Apple and a Windows-based PC will likely come down to your budget and personal preference. Apple's iMacs tend to be more expensive upfront, but they provide a seamless and intuitive user experience, especially for those already in the Apple ecosystem. On the other hand, Windows-based PCs offer more flexibility in terms of configuration and price, with numerous brands to choose from.

I hope this gives you a starting point for your search! Happy shopping!

I’d also like for our kids (ages: 2, 1, and 3 months) to grow up much more computer-literate and skilled than I did (I’m 43, and I feel like I just “get by” with regard to computer literacy - there are things I’ve had to learn for work, but I’ve never been happy with my computer/software skills).

For the most part, businesses run on Windows PCs and Linux servers. I think Apple would be counterproductive for this goal.

If they get a future job where Macs are dominant, they will be learning/using software rather than the Operating System.

I've spent most of my career working in IT for school districts and now at the university level. I was a Windows only user until Windows 10. Now I primarily use Macbooks. They are expensive, yes, but the Apple Silicon chips (M1, M2, etc) are way faster and more efficient than the intel based laptops, and I can run all of the Office and work programs just fine. The Macbooks also tend to hold up better long term. I have a Macbook Air in my garage from 2013 that is humming along just fine.

Your best value in my opinion would be a M1 or M2 Macbook Air. Like stated above they can be found at Costco for just under $1000. If you prefer Windows, then pick the brand that has the specs you want for the best price. The brand doesn't seem to make much difference. I've dealt with them all, Dell, HP, Asus, etc, and they seem to last 3-5 years before something major happens or they become ridiculously slow.

Chromebook that is $300-$400 but quality is so so.

Or a MacBook Air as quality is amazingly high.

My eldest is using a MacBook Pro purchased for $1000(only 128GB hdd) in 2017. I used for 3 years x 40hrs week and 50 weeks a year for work. I handed it to her and she uses for school. Not a single problem!

For the most part, businesses run on Windows PCs and Linux servers. I think Apple would be counterproductive for this goal.

If they get a future job where Macs are dominant, they will be learning/using software rather than the Operating System.
Actually a lot of businesses are going to cloud based stuff. Same with academia. A lot of the programs the university I work at uses are in the cloud. I would say about 1/2 of our faculty and staff are Mac users, and probably 25% of our IT staff are Mac users. Things have changed a lot since I first started.

In terms of built quality there is Apple and far behind the rest! But you pay for it.
I would go on the Apple website and look at the refurbished section, I got my MacBook Air M1
there and saved $200. These refurbished units are done by Apple and carry the New Apple warranty and you could not tell
from new.

Just spend the money on a Mac. I’m still using a 2017 MacBook Pro and it does just fine with its 8Gb ram and 128gb SSD. My parents still have an iMac from 2008 that’s going strong if only really used for my fathers photoshop antics at this point. They also had a mid-2006 or early 2007 MacBook that was still going in 2017 when it met an untimely demise from my father dropping it…. It still worked just fine after that, but the screen was only attached via the cable.

For you I’d suggest a Mac Mini, upgrade to 16gb of ram if you think you’ll really need it but 8Gb is plenty unless you’re one of those people who insists on having a million tabs open. Only time I wish I had more was when I was a few times using GarageBand to edit audio.

Sure, most anything can be looked up on phones, but there are times when a PC is much more convenient
But why would you unless away from home. Using a 5 inch phone screen for internet use is tedious at best. I've bought 1-2 year old Dell ex-business computers on Ebay every 5 to 10 years and they are rock solid. They have different case sizes to fit most anywhere. Also bought Dell monitors, keyboards and mouse to match pretty cheap as well.

If you want to learn about computers, it's probably a good idea to learn how to put one together. It's not that hard and there are plenty of videos on how to do it.
Here is a list I quickly put together that would serve you well for the next 10 years, all for around $550.

Going with a pre-built sounds like a good idea, but at this price you get extremely cheap components, some of them are proprietary, so upgrading in the future is usually not worth the hassle.

I'd grab a Mac Mini M2 and a couple of monitors in your choice of size. For keyboards I think there are better options out there than the Apple ones, but it's worthwhile if buying a different brand of keyboard to see if they offer one with a Mac layout/keycaps as it can be frustrating to use one otherwise. For mice, I love the Apple Magic Mouse but it was a bit of a learning curve and I still get annoyed with it at times(plus the old version ate batteries for breakfast, while the current one has a rechargable battery that seems to last forever until you're on a deadline, realize it's nearly dead, and can't use the stupid thing while it's charging because they put the charging port on the bottom!). Really any generic USB mouse will work fine.

The M2 Mini will feel incredibly fast and responsive. I've had people disagree with me here over this(one person seemed rather insulted by it even :rolleyes: ) but even for casual use I would not buy the base 8gb RAM. I have a long running thread on there from 2 years ago where I provided a lot of data showing my reasons for saying this on my M1 MacBook Pro.

If you have Apple products, you will love how great the Mac integrates with your iPhone, etc.

If you want to learn about computers, it's probably a good idea to learn how to put one together. It's not that hard and there are plenty of videos on how to do it.
Here is a list I quickly put together that would serve you well for the next 10 years, all for around $550.
How would that work warranty wise? Parts from half a dozen manufacturers. It it quits working, who do you send it to for repairs?

How would that work warranty wise? Parts from half a dozen manufacturers. It it quits working, who do you send it to for repairs?
Same as with working on a car yourself. Each component has it's own manufacturer's warranty so you pull it out and get it fixed/exchanged.
However, in my experience, if the computer turns on after being built and windows gets installed with no issues, the chances of a component failing afterwards are very, very low. Most issues are with components not working right out of the box.

Once the warranty runs out, any competent computer repair shop will be able to fix it, if you're not up for it. All parts are standard.

Been purchasing Lenovo brand laptops from the local Microcenter retailer for myself and the family for the last four or five acquisitions. Found them to be reliable and good value. Added RAM to extend their usefulness in later life. One thing I would strongly recommend - don't even think about buying a computer without a solid-state drive (SSD). Huge difference in start-up time and performance.

Used to build my own computers but the added cost of the software now negates the cost-saving advantage. Found purchasing a new computer with the bundled software included is much more cost-effective but recognize it may be different for some gaming or ultra-high-performance machines.

Back