Are VEMO thermostats any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do they compare to Behr thermostats in terms of quality? Cost is of no concern.

I want a thermostat that can fail only in open position.

I'm not familiar with VEMO, but in regards to your last statement, Stant has a fail open thermostat. However, it might not fit in your application.

I bought a rad fan for my Cabriolet from them and it's built like a tank, so I would imagine this MFG makes good stuff...

I'm partial to Wahlers, but my understanding is the two you're talking about are roughly similar in quality. All are pretty solid. As I'm no expert of German T-stats, they could all be different brands from the same parent manufacturer.

The good ones are designed to fail open, but that doesn't always guarantee that they will.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
At this point, any new thermostat will outlast your Audi.

What a stupid thing to say. You don't have a clue in what condition my car is.
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: Volvohead
I'm partial to Wahlers, but my understanding is the two you're talking about are roughly similar in quality.

A Behr costs about a third more than does a VEMO. I've never before used a VEMO. If I buy a timing belt kit, the included thermostat is a VEMO. If I were to buy the required parts separately, I'd pick a Behr, because none of those I have bought has ever failed. I may just buy a Behr and sell the VEMO (if I decide to buy the timing belt kit in question). I'm in a similar pickle with the water pump. The one that comes with the kit is the one that used to fail, but now it's supposedly better than the other options. Go figure!

Originally Posted By: moribundman

A Behr costs about a third more than does a VEMO.

You might be paying a premium for branding. Once you bolt the outlet on, your friends won't know the difference.

But I understand the comfort factor. If you sleep better knowing it's a Behr, then spend the few extra dollars and ease your fears. Peace of mind is valuable in my book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back