Are there any PAO oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Garak
Thebimmerfan: You do know that plenty of racing series do use off the shelf oils...

Man, you can bet whatever you want that the Mobil 1 oils used in some proffecional racing series are the same as the Mobil 1 oils sold at Wallmart...DTM maybe use a discount...

Last edited:
Not in all. 24 H at the Ring sees Porsches use regular M1 0w-40. Indycar in the States used off the shelf oils. Of course, some series use racing lubes and not off the shelf stuff, and Formula 1 cars use bespoke lubes that they generally don't even pay for.

Obviously, there is more disparity in the demands put on the oil when you compare racing cars to other types of racing cars than when you compare road cars. The average road car can be served by pretty basic oil. An advanced oil like M1 0w-40 or its equivalents can serve probably 99% of the cars on the road.

In racing, that's clearly not the case, since you can compare nitromethane funny cars to GT3 cars, which are obviously worlds apart.

Originally Posted By: Garak
willyreid said:
I don't know if that answers your question. Maybe you or others' will comment on the apparent validity or usefulness of the testing info.

It does, and that's what I was afraid of. It's been tossed about a lot here and isn't terribly useful.

Care to elaborate?

Basically, there have been threads here on this matter since this little post first came to late ages ago. The issue is that it's testing something that really doesn't happen in motors, at least not with just about any motor anyone will be using in a passenger vehicle and with any common viscosity. If this was really an issue, it would have been incorporated into motor oil testing somewhere along the line already.

In any event, it isn't much more useful than a list of oils based upon the most pleasing colour.

I used to love Sta-Lubes pretty blue color
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back