Ranking the conventional oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: volk06
Originally Posted By: blackman777
Originally Posted By: volk06
They all will perform about the same as they all meet SN.
Yeah but some of these oils pass SN (easy) AND also other specs like ACEA, dexos (hard). Those are better oils.

Show me one conventional oil that passes Dexos1. Smh... Posting incorrect information once again.

Between him and skyship the site is going downwards.
I've gotta admit I like PYB however I buy what's on sale,so that's my criteria. Cheap

PYB, Valvoline, GTX, Mobil Super, any of them will take your engine farther than the rest of the car. A lot of other oils will too, but I consider those the head of the class for dino oils. If I had to give first place to one it would be Valvoline, phenomenal looking UOA's and better shear resistance than most.

JMO.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
PYB, Valvoline, GTX, Mobil Super, any of them will take your engine farther than the rest of the car. A lot of other oils will too, but I consider those the head of the class for dino oils. If I had to give first place to one it would be Valvoline, phenomenal looking UOA's and better shear resistance than most.

JMO.

Funny you say that. I decided to try their recycled stuff in my girls windstar. It had qsud in it for 12000kms. I don't drive it much but she made a point the other day of asking what I did to it. She said its been running smoother and she thinks its a bit better on gas.
Her words,not mine. It's the first time I try valvoline in a vehicle. When it goes on sale I buy alot of it for my equipment since 8 bucks a jug is tough to beat for name brand oil.

1. Peak, because Danica Patrick
2. Castrol, otherwise a bucket of sludge will land on your head
3. Nextgen, it wins races and saves the planet

Such a silly thread.

I'll continue using the cheapest, discounted oil I can find that meets spec(SM/SN) and continue enjoying my clean, well running engine.

Originally Posted By: NorrisB
Pennzoil YB, Chevron Supreme, Havoline, Valvoline, GTX, Quaker State, Super 5000

I took time to look-up manufacturer approvals (almost none). I don't like any of these oils. They are the oil-equivalent of B grade movies (the bottom half of a double feature). I wouldn't run them longer than 3000 miles.

Last edited:
Pennzoil YB, Chevron Supreme, Havoline, Valvoline, GTX, Quaker State, Super 5000

I took time to look-up manufacturer approvals (almost none). I don't like any of these oils. They are the oil-equivalent of B grade movies (the bottom half of a double feature). I wouldn't run them longer than 3000 miles.

Its not all about factory approvals, because in reality most oil blenders dont want to pay the money to get certified.
Search the uoas and maybe you will learn something

You sir, have no idea what you're talking about.

Originally Posted By: electrolover

Its not all about factory approvals, because in reality most oil blenders dont want to pay the money to get certified.
Search the uoas and maybe you will learn something

It isn't that they won't seek the approvals, as these oils are all produced by major brand names that have no problem spending the money for the factory certs.

The issue is that there are really no euro certs and limited domestic certs for your conventional 5w30 or 10w30 oils.

There isn't much, if any, good objective comparative testing out there. But this Amsoil funded study found Castrol GTX to be the best Dino tested. Good thing I've been using it for years. When my Explorer's engine was opened up at 53,000 miles it was very clean. I switched to MC Synth blend briefly but now I'm going back to Castrol GTX in synth blend form. It's cheaper an MC and I've had a good history with its Dino base.

http://www.goodoil4u.com/comparative_motor_oil_testing.html

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kam327
There isn't much, if any, good objective comparative testing out there. But this Amsoil funded study found Castrol GTX to be the best Dino tested. Good thing I've been using it for years. When my Explorer's engine was opened up at 53,000 miles it was very clean. I switched to MC Synth blend briefly but now I'm going back to Castrol GTX in synth blend form. It's cheaper an MC and I've had a good history with its Dino base.

Thats a old test and doesn't prove much if anything at all. They only tested a few oils of the ones available on the shelf today. I'm curious what this would look like with todays SN oils.

If your post's in the future are just as bad and are full of false conjecture, I recommend you revert to a lurker, because your post's are full of holes and I feel even more useless after reading this.

just out of curiosity, why was your explorer's engine opened up at only 53k miles? (i.e. was it a repair, fault, curiosity, etc?)

You're kidding, just tyring to get everyone wound up, right?

I wish they would do it again with SN oils

thanks for posting that link

I really do not think that there is that much difference in conventional motor oils that meet the requirements. But there are some motor oils (about 18 according to some sources) that meet higher requirements for Corvettes and some other vehicles. But the motor oils meeting the higher requirements are all synthetic motor oils as far as I know.

There was information a while back (in 2010) about all of this in a Consumers Union article.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back