Are Pickup Truck Drivers Dangerous ?

So my wife accused me of this in our RV. She's says that follow to close. Most of the times it's the cars alternating speeds and the RV doesn't speed up or slow the same as passenger car. I was behind one today that kept 60 55 60 55.. and yeah I guess I did creep up on them a few times. Guess I need to upgrade to a newer model with adaptive cruise.

I guess she says I also forced someone off the road the other day during a zipper merge in our Escape. I was behind them with plenty of space they just freaked out. That was weird one.

Guess I'm one of these terrible people. But I will say I've never had any issues in any big city.. Boston, NYC, Atlanta, Minneapolis, Dallas, Houston and many more. Perhaps driving in those big cities broke me.
I got more aggressive in my driving style living in big cities. I'm back in small town midwest and it hasn't completely left me, but I still on occasion am in big cities. Unfortunately if you need to get anywhere in a big city, you sometimes have to be assertive in traffic.

Are Jeep (Wrangler) drivers dangerous? Special shout-out to the Wrangler driver that just did some experimental driving like someone peed in their Cheerios this morning. Right On New Hampshire Ave. I had to drive around them....

Here is a fatal crash involving a pickup truck and an 18 wheeler or tractor/trailer.

Last edited:
Here in Vermont, a lot of pick up drivers drive very agressively, and too fast for the capability of their vehicles. They leave very little margin for evasive maneuvers.
I think a lot of this stems from new vehicles being very isolated from the road. People are driving fast but not aware of exactly how fast they are driving because it doesn't "feel" fast.

Around here people are either going too fast for their vehicles capability, or they are weaving all over the road going 45-65 while texting. The fast people I can kind of watch out for, the texters I try to get as far away from as possible. I only have a 6 mile commute, but I'd say at least half of the people I passed on my way in this morning were looking down.

I think a lot of this stems from new vehicles being very isolated from the road. People are driving fast but not aware of exactly how fast they are driving because it doesn't "feel" fast.
Or possibly they can't leave for their destination so that they don't have to drive fast to be just a bit late. Or, maybe they feel macho driving fast and aggressively? "Look how big and tough my truck is and therefore, so am I. You would do well not to get in my way with your puny little car.

Yeah, I sound a bit cynical, but I get really tired of aggressive drivers.

Or possibly they can't leave for their destination so that they don't have to drive fast to be just a bit late. Or, maybe they feel macho driving fast and aggressively? "Look how big and tough my truck is and therefore, so am I. You would do well not to get in my way with your puny little car.

Yeah I think it has become way worse since everyone is always in a rush now, people are taking risky maneuvers everywhere. I had a guy about a week ago who decided he didn't want to wait to turn onto a cross road and turned in front of me on a 50 mph road. He cut it close with just his truck, but soon I realized he had a landscape trailer behind him. Luckily nobody was behind him, and I was able to brake and swerve slightly into the oncoming lane. I was in my BMW which has very good brakes, but if I was in my '98 Wrangler I'm not sure I could've stopped in time, and I was doing 55.

Do you think I am dangerous when I drive my pick up? You have never see me drive A semi truck. The 911 I had in the 1070s or a liter bike.

When I was going to Jr. College fresh out of high school ,my first class was at 8 am. Despite being able to go 125 MPH on my Kawasaki for pretty much 99 % of the distance I was still a few minutes late.

No, people are dangerous.

Give them a truck or a Vespa and they'll find a way.

I am completely intolerant of not using your signals so I am that guy, in a truck, blowing his horn at you. I am also completely intolerant of people in any vehicle using the shoulder as their own person turning lane or exit ramp. So again I will make liberal use of my horn to let you know exactly how I feel.

@Eric Smith to his point my wife did this on Saturday with a merge on the highway. He had no signal on so I merged on and proceeded forward figuring he was using the ramp to loop around to the other direction as it was a cloverleaf style. At the least second he almost hits the car and gets behind us with no signal. "You knew he was going to do that so why didn't you wait?" No I didn't because he had no signal on.

I do the same thing with zipper merges, everyone gets a turn. It's not hard but people make it so by not paying attention.

That's kind of funny. I also have a 98 Nissan Frontier and I have been passed twice recently on a double yellow line by pickup drivers.

They don't do that when I'm driving my Silverado 2500 or anything else I own.
I pass every 98 Nissan Frontier I see just because.

Are pick up drivers dangerous? Usually in a 4x4 during a snowstorm. I find kids in Daddy's BMW hands down the most dangerous drivers where I live. Occasionally Daddy drives a BMW like an a-hole too.

When I was going to Jr. College fresh out of high school ,my first class was at 8 am. Despite being able to go 125 MPH on my Kawasaki for pretty much 99 % of the distance I was still a few minutes late.
Yeah the older I get (I'm 33) the more I realize it just isn't worth it. You don't want to be the guy that got split in half when he hit a street sign at 125 mph because he was late for some dumb class or job.

Back