Are Honda 1.5 Turbos still diluting oil in 2020?

I know most direct injection engines suffer from some amount of fuel in the oil, but has this been fixed and now GTG on the newer Hondas?

They were supposed to have some new software programming to reduce this especially if you own a civic in cold climate and you short trip it. Only time will tell.

I don’t own a CRV or a 1.5T Honda but when I was casually checking the thread on the CRV board, most of the unique reports dropped off last winter after Honda issued a series of product updates in early to mid 2019. Well, the discussion continued between a couple talking heads which is when I stopped checking.

There are several 1.5T equipped CRVs listed on Carfax near me with well over 60k mi , which seemed to be the mileage when these engines would meet their apocalyptic demise from oil dilution. The CRV seemed to have the highest number of reports, followed by the Cvic.

Honda did seem to have a problem that they seem to have addressed, albeit somewhat arrogantly, IMO.

I think the answer is yes. UOA results show minor to moderate fuel dilution of up to 2%. I do believe these engines no longer fill themselves with gas.

I service a friends 2019 CR-V with 13.5K miles on the clock.
I changed the oil at 10K. Mani was over this week and I checked the oil; it was pretty dark.
She does almost exclusively short trips. I am gonna do 5K OCIs...
Maybe I'll have the oil tested next time?

I changed the oil at 10K. Mani was over this week and I checked the oil; it was pretty dark.
Did the oil smell of gas? Some complaints were of gas smell inside the cabin. Honda was replacing HVAC systems due to this issue. Must have been an expensive service campaign.

Did the oil smell of gas? Some complaints were of gas smell inside the cabin. Honda was replacing HVAC systems due to this issue. Must have been an expensive service campaign.
I did not drain the oil; I just checked it. I was doing a tire rotation. But I think I will do a test next service. If I remember, that is.
There is no gas smell in the cabin.

Reactions: MK2
Short trips are supposed to be worse for the issue due to the oil never heating up, but it's a 2019 so it "may" have been corrected?

Well, not quite the entire HVAC systems but the A/C control unit on some units in addition to software updates. The gist is they are trying to warm up the engine to operating temp quicker, or so it’s told. You can see details in TSB 18-147 (or later since they revised it a bunch).

I still think it’s a decent CUV and everyone I know who owns one enjoys it. I don’t ask about the OD issue though.

Well, not quite the entire HVAC systems but the A/C control unit on some units in addition to software updates. The gist is they are trying to warm up the engine to operating temp quicker, or so it’s told. You can see details in TSB 18-147 (or later since they revised it a bunch).

I still think it’s a decent CUV and everyone I know who owns one enjoys it. I don’t ask about the OD issue though.
Good info!

Back