Opinion on Honda's 1.5 L turbo

That's the freak thing to me. Ours has never once done this.

I've been trying to explain it, but I have no hard science.
Ours happened right at the 20K mark. It had a good amount of highway driving 5 days a week too. We got rid of it not because of the dilution, just wanted something bigger.

fair enough.
why didn't they cut the cost on ye old Chevy that made like 50 hp per liter
Evolution in metallurgy and manufacturing technology. Those old Chevy engines were cast iron and used sand mold casting. These days with automation(CNCs, PLCs and robots) higher speed and precision casting(lost foam, high-pressure die casting) and machining enables costs to be cut and higher output. The blocks can be cast and then cylinder liners are pressed in.

I was seriously considering a new Accord with the 1.5 turbo but ended up going with a new 2023 Camry instead because of the issues Honda has with the 1.5. Fuel dilution is a concern, though a minor one IMO as long as you are changing the oil early and often enough. My main concern was with the head gasket issues the 1.5T's are experiencing. It may be a small percentage of owners who experience the problem vs. total vehicles sold, but the number experiencing the problem is still high. Do your own research and come to your own conclusions but even I, a Honda fanboy decided to go with a new Camry instead of a new Accord due to the head gasket issue. I couldn't find anything solid enough to show that Honda even made any changes to the engine to correct the problem. It appears head bolts stretch over time allowing the head gasket to fail. However the failure mode, the cost to fix the problem is $$$ if it happens to you. That's just not something I wanted hanging over my head as the miles added up so I went another direction. I enjoyed driving the 1.5T during my extended test drive, it certainly excels at moving the car around in a pleasant and effortless manner but long term reliability still appears to be of concern.
All engines have oil disillusion. Direct injection is more prone to this while the engine is cold. It’s not a problem once the engine is up to operating temperature as the fuel sprayed onto the cylinder simply boils off before it has a chance to seep past the piston.

My understanding is that early on, it was permissible to turn on the cabin heater during the warm-up phase, and this had the unfortunate effect of diverting heat away from the engine into the cabin. This extended the time the engine ran cold, increasing the amount of oil dissolution.

This was a particular problem in very cold climates. Honda resolved the issue for the most part with a software update that now restricts how much cabin heat you can divert from the engine until it is warmed up.

Around 2018-19 Honda added an electric bypass heater to supplement heating demand for the cabin to further mitigate this issue.

As far as I understand, there are no problems with the engine itself or it’s design and the head gasket failures tend to be caused by people tuning the engine trying to get more power, which is a big no-no with this engine. This is not the K series. It just doesn’t have the kind of overhead built into it that allows you to just throw a big turbo or do whatever and make gobs of horsepower. This engine comes from the factory pretty maxed out and it runs fine if left unmodded.

Last edited:
All engines have oil disillusion. Direct injection is more prone to this while the engine is cold. It’s not a problem once the engine is up to operating temperature as the fuel sprayed onto the cylinder simply boils off before it has a chance to seep past the piston.

My understanding is that early on, it was permissible to turn on the cabin heater during the warm-up phase, and this had the unfortunate effect of diverting heat away from the engine into the cabin. This extended the time the engine ran cold, increasing the amount of oil dissolution.

This was a particular problem in very cold climates. Honda resolved the issue for the most part with a software update that now restricts how much cabin heat you can divert from the engine until it is warmed up.

Around 2018-19 Honda added an electric bypass heater to supplement heating demand for the cabin to further mitigate this issue.

As far as I understand, there are no problems with the engine itself or it’s design and the head gasket failures tend to be caused by people tuning the engine trying to get more power, which is a big no-no with this engine. This is not the K series. It just doesn’t have the kind of overhead built into it that allows you to just throw a big turbo or do whatever and make gobs of horsepower. This engine comes from the factory pretty maxed out and it runs fine if left unmodded.
I know Hondata has a tune for these - even those are a no-no?

What about the 2.0T used in the Accord as the V6 replacement and the CTR/new Integra?

I know Hondata has a tune for these - even those are a no-no?

What about the 2.0T used in the Accord as the V6 replacement and the CTR/new Integra?
The 1.5 turbo is basically an economy engine first and foremost. It runs thermally at a bit lower temps than most engines, which i’m sure is part of the reason why the engine was more prone to oil delusion than other types.

The 2.0 T totally different engine. It’s design basically as a detuned version of the civic type R.

It’s neutered quite a bit from the type R but it manages to retain a lot of the things that make the type R engine so great. It’s designed to run hotter and is generally more durable than the 1.5 T. It’s really wrong to compare them because they are a fundamentally designed for different missions.

Back