Opinion on Honda's 1.5 L turbo

Who ever said failure? But they certainly litter parking lots and garages with fuel dilution.
The flavor in the other current post/topic/some folks in that post is that this fuel dilution is/will damaging engines - I'm not seeing/hearing about. Someone did post info about it from a CA lawsuit and even from Honda, but it seems it's limited and they've sorted it with software (not sure how that would even work?). But yeah, imagine in the old days of PCVs that were a vent hose to the ground :ROFLMAO:

The flavor in the other current post/topic/some folks in that post is that this fuel dilution is/will damaging engines - I'm not seeing/hearing about. Someone did post info about it from a CA lawsuit and even from Honda, but it seems it's limited and they've sorted it with software (not sure how that would even work?). But yeah, imagine in the old days of PCVs that were a vent hose to the ground :ROFLMAO:
Sure, but we've seen discussions (by HPL in particular) that fuel dilution is not the benign phenomenon people think it is based on $30 spectrographic analyses.

And I also remember that the software fix works better in some climates than it does in others as well as for different driving routines.

Reactions: JC1
Sure, but we've seen discussions (by HPL in particular) that fuel dilution is not the benign phenomenon people think it is based on $30 spectrographic analyses.

And I also remember that the software fix works better in some climates than it does in others as well as for different driving routines.
What do you think the software changes?

I was looking at the cr-v in 2019 when the software fix came out - at least the first software fix. There was like 100 page thread on crvownersclub.com about oil dilution. Well some of the folks with major dilution issues got the software fix and it didn't fix anything for them. To go along with the dilution, there was a cabin heat issue also, and apparently the software helped with that to some degeree.

Then crvownersclub shut the thread down and the mods put in that any thread regarding the dilution issue would be closed and the poster booted, or some such thing. Either way the data dried up at that point.

In the thread that had existed, the dilution wasn't all that consistent - some had it, some didn't - but it wasn't only cold weather, there were people in the South that claimed to have the problem.

The original thread can still be accessed for those interested: https://www.crvownersclub.com/threads/oil-dilution-master-thread.195127/

The original thread was actually replaced with this:

Therefore be aware that ALL other discussion on oil dilution from hereon in will be removed without notice or warning as this topic has been covered ad-naseum.

We have a ZERO tolerance policy on ALL topics related to oil dilution - such topics are permanently banned from discussion. Period.

Last edited:
To the OP, if you drive short trips often during Canadian winters etc. Then I'd probably avoid this engine for that. Otherwise you'd be changing the oil more frequently to keep things in check (IMO).

I was looking at the cr-v in 2019 when the software fix came out - at least the first software fix. There was like 100 page thread on crvownersclub.com about oil dilution. Well some of the folks with major dilution issues got the software fix and it didn't fix anything for them. To go along with the dilution, there was a cabin heat issue also, and apparently the software helped with that to some degeree.

Then crvownersclub shut the thread down and the mods put in that any thread regarding the dilution issue would be closed and the poster booted, or some such thing. Either way the data dried up at that point.

In the thread that had existed, the dilution wasn't all that consistent - some had it, some didn't - but it wasn't only cold weather, there were people in the South that claimed to have the problem.

The original thread can still be accessed for those interested: https://www.crvownersclub.com/threads/oil-dilution-master-thread.195127/

Therefore be aware that ALL other discussion on oil dilution from hereon in will be removed without notice or warning as this topic has been covered ad-naseum.

We have a ZERO tolerance policy on ALL topics related to oil dilution - such topics are permanently banned from discussion. Period.

Makes you wonder who is really behind all of these car forums and who funds them.

In for oil ignition PF testing as a proxy for fuel dilution.

Makes you wonder who is really behind all of these car forums and who funds them.
I think a lot of the automotive commercial sites are owned by a company called vertical scope. I presume if they got a complaint from an advertiser or something it wouldn't take much to shut a topic down. Speculation only - I don't know if they own crvownersforum. However I do know they bought out two Nissan forums I used to frequent.

Yup, really heavy-handed moderation making one wonder about motivation.

I would skip the 1.5t for sure. I’ve been reading about the head gasket failures more and more and I’m not even looking into Hondas.
There is a Honda tech on YouTube that claims to have done around 30 of them already, some as new as 2022 I think.

Exchanging anecdotes, Carcomplaints.com shows 0 head gasket complaints on CRVs 2017-2020. Lots of oil dilution complaints though.

I have zero doubt in my mind that williamsji is a Honda shill

I'll keep you posted on how the new 2023 Civic Touring Sedan works out, hopefully will have it this month, probably won't use Blackstone for UOA's. Not much dilution discussion on the 10th & 11th gen Civic forums. My wife's 2020 CRV is a dilluter, oil is usually up on the stick in 2000 miles or so, switched to M1 5W-30 EP, seems to be better. As it's exclusively a short-tripper, will continue short OCI'S and keep my mouth shut on the CRV forum where they respond to the subject by sticking their fingers in their ears and going "lalalalala".

We put 60k on a 1.5T until my son traded it for a 4Runner. Personally, I quite liked the motor. I ran a grade thicker on the oil and drove it pretty hard. Zero issues. Love the torque curve. Very driveable. It can be civilized, and it can absolutely snarl. I’d have another.

If you don't live in an arctic climate or drive like a jackass or add a ton of power to it, they are fine. Lots of hubbub about oil dilution but for 99.9% of people its not an issue, and most cases of oil dilution are fairly minor and don't seem to affect engine wear or performance. You can safely run a 0w-30 or a 5w-30 if you want the peace of mind.

I am shopping for a civic, and found this 2022 Touring Civic sedan with only 15 000 km, price is decent.

Now, should I worry about the 1.5 turbo? Seems like this engine is being bashed for the oil dilution problem from years back.

Anyone have a 1.5 turbo with high mileage? I also heard it has difficulty to warm up in winter and I'm in Canada.

Thanks!
I know nothing about the car or the engine but when fuel dilution is an issue operating in a cold climate exacerbates it. IMO using an engine coolant and oil heater is a good way to get the engine into closed loop sooner which is what it needs to lessen the dilution issue.

My civic has close to 120k miles now and still running fine after I got the crap auto lite spark plugs replaced with NKG. It seems like the fuel dilution has mostly gone away as it was really bad at first. Back then my daughter had it at college up north and it was short tripped and often spent weeks buried in snow drifts on the parking lots.
My son has it now and he does a lot of highway miles, runs 4 to 5k mile oci and premium gas in it. He is s a Jr bitog in the making lol

I'll keep you posted on how the new 2023 Civic Touring Sedan works out, hopefully will have it this month, probably won't use Blackstone for UOA's. Not much dilution discussion on the 10th & 11th gen Civic forums. My wife's 2020 CRV is a dilluter, oil is usually up on the stick in 2000 miles or so, switched to M1 5W-30 EP, seems to be better. As it's exclusively a short-tripper, will continue short OCI'S and keep my mouth shut on the CRV forum where they respond to the subject by sticking their fingers in their ears and going "lalalalala".

Is it possible that a heavier-weight oil could mitigate fuel dilution by creating a better seal between piston rings and cylinder walls? Can’t think of another reason this would make things better.

Back