Opinion on Honda's 1.5 L turbo

Is it possible that a heavier-weight oil could mitigate fuel dilution by creating a better seal between piston rings and cylinder walls? Can’t think of another reason this would make things better.
Seems to work in my wife's CRV running M1 5W-30 EP, but still running short OCI as all her driving is local. My theory is that the 0W-20, especially when thinned below grade by dilution, Is pushed past the rings due to the Pressurized intake and high pressure injection, the low-tension rings don't help ether. Interestingly, my 2019 Civic Touring Coupe, using M1 0W-20 AFE and 5k change intervals literally had 0 issues, UOA's were excellent. Some around town, but a fair amount of highway, 40K when I traded it in. Haven't decided if I will run 0W-20 or 0W-30. It's fairly obvious, as much as I like the way the Civic 1.5T runs, I am most likely going to get 5K max between changes. There isn't a magic oil, a higher base viscosity helps, but just something you need to be aware of and monitor.

I have 2,200 miles on mine and it's still on the factory fill. I checked the oil this afternoon and it was black, I've never owned a new car that turned oil black in 2k miles. It also stunk like fuel and was higher than when I checked it at 1k. It'll be gone before the warranty is up so I don't care.
2800 on mine just a hint of color

Data point of one: I rented a 2022 Accord from Avis last week. 50k mikes and I swear it had a rod knock. That deep knocking sound that changes with RPM and is most obvious at idle. I drove it on a one way highway trip about 300 miles and I can say with authority that the problem did not “fix itself” by the time I arrived. In fact, it got louder. It was a horrible car. Tires flat spotted, bent rim, very uncomfortable seat, and noisy as can be.

this week I have a rental Altima and it’s comfy and gets far better mpg.

Last edited:
A coworker haa a 2019 Civic with this 1.5T engine. He has over 450k miles on it now.

There is daily 200+ freeway miles accrued, with no oil consumption.

I am becoming more convinced, day by day, of the significance of driving conditions, be it Canadian winters, or Chinese bumper to bumper traffic.

JMO.

2023 vs 2021 1.5T my 2023 @ 13500 has no fuel dilution issues

Same bare short block so same size headstuds. Head gasket kit minor number change, may or may not be significant. Different cylinder head.

BLOCK ASSY., CYLINDER
Part Number: 11000-59B-010

GASKET KIT, CYLINDER HEAD
Part Number: 06110-6A0-A01
Part Number: 06110-6A0-A00

CYLINDER HEAD ASSY
Part Number: 12100-6NA-A00
Part Number: 12100-6A0-A00

My opinion?
1704240114209.jpeg

Had my 2023 Civic Touring Sedan 1.5t serviced today, second OC @6000 miles, changed to Mobil1 0w20 EP at 3k, oil was dark today but not significantly up on the stick. Took a sample at 2800 miles and sent to Brookstone, their methodology on dilution is not the best, but wanted to see wear metals and viscosity. If the 0w20 EP holds up, may extend to 4k this time. Civics don't seem as hard on oil or dilution as the same engine in CRV'S, go figure. Just have to wait for the report.

The CRVs with the 1.5 Turbo are actually tuned by software to have less boost than the 1.5 Turbo in other vehicles than Honda makes. The amount of head gasket problems with the 1.5 in the CRVs is less than other vehicles that Honda makes that use the 1.5

The CRVs with the 1.5 Turbo are actually tuned by software to have less boost than the 1.5 Turbo in other vehicles than Honda makes. The amount of head gasket problems with the 1.5 in the CRVs is less than other vehicles that Honda makes that use the 1.5

Hum. CRV rated at 190 hp and Civic is 180.

I can't remember what YouTube mechanic I watched that said that the Boost was less on the CRV but I do remember it correctly as to the way he said it. But apparently he was wrong. I haven't found anything quoting that it's higher on the CRV now, but if it's making more horsepower I suspect that it is. So apparently I initially quoted incorrect information.

Reactions: D60
Why do manufacturers keep putting turbos on open deck engines. Why? Just because Volvo pulled it off doesn't mean it's a good idea. These blocks should be closed deck and then they would have less issues.

Why do manufacturers keep putting turbos on open deck engines. Why? Just because Volvo pulled it off doesn't mean it's a good idea. These blocks should be closed deck and then they would have less issues.
Cheaper to cast an open deck block unlike a closed deck block.

Back when we had our 18 CRV 1.5LT. It was fun to drive. First time with a CVT…awesome. At the 20K I measured the oil. 1.5 qrts over. The fuel smell was bad. Although it ran smooth. Later that year the wife traded it in for a Pilot.

Back when we had our 18 CRV 1.5LT. It was fun to drive. First time with a CVT…awesome. At the 20K I measured the oil. 1.5 qrts over. The fuel smell was bad. Although it ran smooth. Later that year the wife traded it in for a Pilot.
That's the freak thing to me. Ours has never once done this.

I've been trying to explain it, but I have no hard science.

I have a 2016 Civic Coupe with the 1.5T I have 126k miles on it and it doesn’t use oil though I do see some fuel dilution during the winter.
They are very picky when it comes to spark plugs, which is the only thing I’ve had to change besides oil and filters

Ours did “make oil” notably for the first 10-15k. It didn’t make 1.5 quarts though - first OC was the worst at 0.5 over, and at that point we were quick to do them when the minder lit up, and I started mixing in thicker oil. After 20k I never saw it more than 1/4 qt over at the most. At 40k it didn’t seem to be making any. And the smell was about like my f150 eco - just barely fuel smell.

That said, he drove it hard, and it was a stick so it inherently saw higher rpms than at auto would.

Back