Are all oils the same??

Status
Not open for further replies.
First Police cars are not an apple to apple comparision. I can go into detail on how police cars are different from a mechanical stand point if you want! They also have a vastly different driveing cyle then most daily drivers.

The point of this board is to find oils that outperform the standard. If all we wanted was to barely meet the standard then we could just use any cheap oil with API cert. and would not have any reason to have this board!

If Walmart house brand oil is so good then maybe some of you guys that run it should antee up for UOA! THe money you save useing it should be enough to afford an UOA or two. I would love to see how this does after 7500 miles or even 5000 miles. I am sure we would all like to a bunch of UOA from these oils as we do have a few VOA for them.

I find it hard to belive that the margin of return for Walmarts house brand is going to exceed that of Delo 400 of Chevron Supreme!!

As far as it compareing to Valvoline I do not know if that is such a good thing. Valveoline is not looked upon very favorably. It is a second rate oil in a lot of respects.

JohnBrowning: "The fact that we have alot of different spec's for oil and Walmart only meets the easy, common API ratings should say a lot. I do not think they make an oil that meets BMW, VW or Daimler-Benz extended drain requirments!"

That's probably the best point made to date in this thread. Why all the different specifications if all oils are OK ... according to the almighty, infallible bureaucrats at the API?
confused.gif

These are the same rocket scientists who couldn't even come up with a functional definition of the word synthetic. Oh yeah, the API are a group of real winners!
rolleyes.gif

Look at the Japanese valvetrain wear, standard, GM/Corvette standard, the German standards, the various diesel standards, etc ...

It seems some people are concerned that the API's blessing is insufficient to guarantee protection.
wink.gif

--- Bror Jace

quote:

Either you are looking to start trouble or you do not understand the point of this board

No JB, not looking for trouble. I thought the point of the board was to discuss oil ??

So I should be happy with an oil that barley meets the API cert? What if my vechile requires a cert. much higher then API cert? I say that every one that runs Tech. 2000 should probably antee(sp)up and start sending in UOA!

Either you are looking to start trouble or you do not understand the point of this board. This board is about finding oils that perform beyound the minimum. We are not looking for oils that barley meet the minium. Tke API cert. tells use that!It is even better when we find a gem like Delo and Chevron Supreme that offer protection much better then their price point would suggest! While margin of return and opertunity cost are factors they are not the main driveing force.

Their are more then cosmetic difference with police cars. Most manufactures havea police packages like and SEO Police/Taxi package. It includes alot of small power train modification that really improve durability.The cooling system is beefed up, every thing has a cooler, the hoses are made from long life silicone and are routed differently. The emmission system is usualy different as well. THe fuel map and ignition curve are not the same and they usualy delete the egr or it is grossly modified. THe water pump, fuel pump and brakes are also modified.

THe transmissions are normly different as well. They normaly put a stronger servo for first and second gear a better second gear band and a torque converter full of roller/torington bearings inplace of flat thrust bearing. They usualy lock out the mechanical ability to shift into low to prevent accidently low down shift at high speeds etc....

THe ignition system allows the car to run with key removed but not drive. The lights do not operate automaticly for interior. THe alternator is usualy 180-240 amp model.......

I am sorry this post is so sloppy I am watching my three boys by myself right know. My point is that compareing a Police car of Taxi to a daily driver is no apple to apple comparison! Not only is the driveing cycle different but the cars are also different!

[ August 11, 2003, 01:00 PM: Message edited by: JohnBrowning ]

As the new car requirements for oil over the years increase the oils are alot better. I would guess that the oils would have to be compared in groups related to their prices lets say Redline, Amsoil ,Mobil 1.and Schaeffers. Then Chevron Supreme ,Pennzoil pure base,Castrol gtx . Then the house brands. Then wonder if $7.00 per qt, amsoil or Redline protects 6 times better than $1.08 per qt.Chevron ?

[ August 12, 2003, 01:00 AM: Message edited by: Steve S ]

quote:

Originally posted by badnews:

quote:

Either you are looking to start trouble or you do not understand the point of this board

No JB, not looking for trouble. I thought the point of the board was to discuss oil ??

It is, but to come in like you did, and say that any API oil is just as good as the highest priced synthetic, is simply not true.

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ive heard rumors that the same company that makes Wal-Mart oil also makes a brand name oil like moblie, texaco, penzoil, one of those companies. i heard they just call it wal-mart brand so they can sell it at a lower price. any one else heard this?

I belive I said to this post.
quote:

If they meet the "API" standard ------- they are the same you pay extra for packageing, advertisement, and legally worded hype . They are all the same, the rest is all hupola.

As for dino oil having better properties than syn. oil , never said that, never would.

Like all products one manufactureer may make many brands or off brands. The real issue is, are the specs the same. Chances are you get (in most cases) waht you pay for. The specs are usually different.

quote:

Originally posted by badnews:

quote:

If all API oils were acceptable, our engines would almost never wear out.

Well I have been in contact with the local Sheriff's department that runs about 20 cars, each car is issued to a officer and he is responcible for the maint. of said vehicle. They use what ever is cheap at the time, Penzoil, Valvoline, whatever, it is all dino oil. They have some vehicles with 275,000 miles on them, then they are rotated out, do to , well just being beat to **** , the engines have not worn out other componets have, shocks, ball joints, body rust, steering wheels wobble, they are just plain tired, but at a local salvage yard that buys them, they have tested the engines and the engine compression was fine, so yes the engines do not wear out, no matter what oils are used. I have seen this, so know it to be true.

Re: "the engines do not wear out....no matter what oils are used...." Over the weekend, I had a conversation with the service manager of a large Suzuki truck/car dealership. He claimed that with Mobil 1 synthetic, his Corvette has now achieved 130,000 miles with no problems. I replied: "Oh yeah? Well, my old Ford Bronco(351) and my girlfriend's old T-bird hit 175,000 miles with mineral oil, and were still going strong when we sold them off. Both cars never got a whiff of that fancy synthetic the whole time."

I belive you, when Pennzoil, Valvoline, Castrol, all say at their quickie lubes, 200,000 mile (or more depending on the company) warranty on your engine if you use our oil, you know that there are few if any "engine oil" related damages that occur. So it would appear even if by omission of statement that they concur --- oil is oil.

Sorry for double simalar posts. My post did not show up after a few refresh's I figured something did not go through. So I typed a more civilized and shorter post. Come to find out they both made it through. Sorry!

Bad news blasphmey is not considered conversation
wink.gif

[ August 12, 2003, 08:54 PM: Message edited by: JohnBrowning ]

In JohnBrownings post he states that a police car has all of these extra goodies.I don't know what kind of car he is speaking of or where he got his info but I beg to differ.Popular Mechanics did a story on the Ford Crown Vic with the Police Interceptor Package.The whole car for all intents and purposes was the same as the everyday Crown Vic.Go to www.popularmechanics.com and do a search for Police Interceptor,when the search comes up click on the link 'index2.phtml' and it will take you to the whole story.Its really the same car,just a lot of hype added to it.
crushedcar.gif

I think you have to put some trust in VOAs and UOAs. VOAs show what kind of an additive package an oil has. And if UOAs consistently look good with certain motor oils then those motor oils are probably good ones.

Based on what I have seen from UOAs, I personally would use Chevron, Pennzoil, or Castrol conventional motor oils rather then Valvoline. And I personally would use Mobil 1 or Amsoil rather then Royal Purple or Redline.

Synthetic oils definitely are better in at least a few ways. Hard to beat Mobil 1 for flowing in the cold.

But the best of the conventional motor oils might do just fine if changed on a reasonable basis. Maybe use a synthetic like Mobil 1 in the wintertime if it is very cold where you live. Throw in an Auto-RX cleaning every 25,000 miles. Use Lube Control in the oil each oil change and Fuel Power or Neutra in the fuel.

For some cars, like the Corvette, you would have to use synthetic.

quote:

Originally posted by Mystic:
Throw in an Auto-RX cleaning every 25,000 miles. Use Lube Control in the oil each oil change and Fuel Power or Neutra in the fuel.

For some cars, like the Corvette, you would have to use synthetic.

I don't think you need Auto RX every 25,000 miles if you use LC in your oil. I could be wrong but LC keeps you engine clean and ARX would not have anything to clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back