Are All 5W30 D1 / Gen 2 Synthetic Oils Clones Now ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by ChrisD46
*My rankings were solely based on VOA's as those in the #1 list showed more ingredients (primarily anti - wear) and thus why those oils are considered premium oils by their manufacturers and generally within the BITOG crowd ... Next , I stated that I understand and agree that there may be hidden ingredients that do not show up in a VOA . I primarily went through the exercise to use as a reference that when I see a good deal at WM or Amazon , or clearance at a local auto parts store I will give consideration to pick it up for my stash . Lastly either you agree that D1 / Gen 2 oil formulations are more similar than ever - or you don't - it's all good either way .

It's a tough crowd here at BITOG!...‚

Last edited:
It's all just a prelude leading up to what GF-6 oils are actually going to look like in the way of composition ?

Originally Posted by Imp4
Originally Posted by dave1251
Can you post in Ingles

Oh, the irony...

Pretty sure he was referring to how English is spelled in Spanish, inglés, and served as a veiled critique that the OP was about as easy to read as reading Spanish.

Originally Posted by avi1777
what do you mean when you say vanilla?
tnx

Vanilla wasn't the key word, the key word was before the term Vanila as in no choice. The gov't is taking away choice as in limits all potentially beneficial additives in a one size fits all thanks to low saps and di applications. No low saps, low viscosity, low calcium, low zddp oils are not one size fits all. We see more and more issues with applications where manu's are spitting on govt specs because they are doing damage to thier engines. Rams raised the viscosity of their eco diesel because of widespread bearing damage from being boxed into 30 weight, Ford basically held out for the longest time of new diesel specs making thier own oil and telling their customers these new oils didn't meet their spec, hemi's are having widepsread issues with cams and lifters.

Point being, the choice is being made for us instead of letting the consumer make their own choice. Used to be premium oils were very different from top otc brands, now not so much. People make jokes and poopoo people searching for quality becausse they look in the mirror and think they are super genius''s because they can run around and scream at the top of their voice how great these 6 qrt box oils are doing in their disposable vehicles, but there are a lot of people that have been hurt bad by these oils. If that was you and you shelled out 50 plus g's on an eco diesel thinking you could depend on that vehicle long term and you have to shell out 12 grand for a new engine because you just left warranty and that 30 weight cost you a vital engine bearing, then you look at these people screaming by my box oil like they are fools. As it turns out if they would have used a 40 weight with better additives the chances are those bearings wouldn't have failed, which is why Ram changed the spec despite the gov't wanting fuel economy goals. Over and Over I see these guys thinking, [censored] I should have ran a different oil, then they would have at least known there was nothing they could have done if their truck failed. But the gov't and manu's have them in this vanilla box, they could care less if your engine fails out of warranty, in fact they all benefit from it except the oil companies.

Originally Posted by burla
Originally Posted by avi1777
what do you mean when you say vanilla?
tnx

Vanilla wasn't the key word, the key word was before the term Vanila as in no choice. The gov't is taking away choice as in limits all potentially beneficial additives in a one size fits all thanks to low saps and di applications. No low saps, low viscosity, low calcium, low zddp oils are not one size fits all. We see more and more issues with applications where manu's are spitting on govt specs because they are doing damage to thier engines. Rams raised the viscosity of their eco diesel because of widespread bearing damage from being boxed into 30 weight, Ford basically held out for the longest time of new diesel specs making thier own oil and telling their customers these new oils didn't meet their spec, hemi's are having widepsread issues with cams and lifters.

Point being, the choice is being made for us instead of letting the consumer make their own choice. Used to be premium oils were very different from top otc brands, now not so much. People make jokes and poopoo people searching for quality becausse they look in the mirror and think they are super genius''s because they can run around and scream at the top of their voice how great these 6 qrt box oils are doing in their disposable vehicles, but there are a lot of people that have been hurt bad by these oils. If that was you and you shelled out 50 plus g's on an eco diesel thinking you could depend on that vehicle long term and you have to shell out 12 grand for a new engine because you just left warranty and that 30 weight cost you a vital engine bearing, then you look at these people screaming by my box oil like they are fools. As it turns out if they would have used a 40 weight with better additives the chances are those bearings wouldn't have failed, which is why Ram changed the spec despite the gov't wanting fuel economy goals. Over and Over I see these guys thinking, [censored] I should have ran a different oil, then they would have at least known there was nothing they could have done if their truck failed. But the gov't and manu's have them in this vanilla box, they could care less if your engine fails out of warranty, in fact they all benefit from it except the oil companies.

*It's only going to get worse ... Folks playing the "Hyundai 2.4L Engine Rod Bearings Lottery" for example running 20W (stamped on the oil fill cap) for X miles (120K / 10 year limit with software update) then with a new 2.4L long block replacement engine skip 20W and bump up to 30W or even 40W just to hope keeping a vehicle for 250+K miles . To keep your oil level full , clean , use the recommended grade and error towards an earlier OCI than an overly long one may no longer be enough (thanks to the newer government oil mandates) ... Curious if these types of views / comments are talked about in back rooms of those oil officials drwaing up GF-6 specs ? Seems the prevailing thought is "what ever gets a buyer through the warranty period then after that - who cares" ? The guy who works on his own cars , is conscientious with maintenance hoping to keep a care that is paid for running and looking nice for 300K or more miles is a rare breed today in our disposable / don't care society .

Originally Posted by JustN89
Can you post in Ingles

Oh, the irony...

Pretty sure he was referring to how English is spelled in Spanish, inglés, and served as a veiled critique that the OP was about as easy to read as reading Spanish.

Parlez vous anglais?

27.gif

Originally Posted by gamefoo21
Originally Posted by JustN89
Can you post in Ingles

Oh, the irony...

Parlez vous anglais?

27.gif

Nein, nein, nein! Nicht gut!
06.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back