AR-15 "Kits"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gang,

I have 3 Bushmaster lowers and wanted to build a few uppers to vary the calibers that we are shooting (maybe 300 AAC, 7.62x39, etc.). From your experiences, who makes a decent upper kit? I realize that I could buy a complete upper and I know that I need to headspace and the like, but who has some decent quality?

Thanks in advance for the information!

I don't have these but Daniel Defense and Bravo Company seem to get good reviews. On the budget side, palmetto state armory mil-spec parts if you find them in stock.

Originally Posted By: wkcars
I don't have these but Daniel Defense and Bravo Company seem to get good reviews. On the budget side, palmetto state armory mil-spec parts if you find them in stock.

Those are generally the most popular and quality is usually good.

I'd add Doublestar and Stag to the list. Stag uppers and kits can be purchased from Legal Transfers LLC.

Be careful about what you're buying. An AR-15 kit is usually everything except the stripped lower receiver. Complete uppers do not always include the BCG or sights.

Thus, if you have a complete lower, a "kit" may include parts you already have.

Originally Posted By: strat81
Originally Posted By: wkcars

Those are generally the most popular and quality is usually good. I'd add Doublestar and Stag to the list. Stag uppers and kits can be purchased from Legal Transfers LLC. Be careful about what you're buying. An AR-15 kit is usually everything except the stripped lower receiver. Complete uppers do not always include the BCG or sights. Thus, if you have a complete lower, a "kit" may include parts you already have.

Thanks for the information! I ran out of edit time (the title should read "AR-15 Upper Kits"). Anyone have any experience with AO Precision?

Daniel Defense is very well regarded. A lot depends upon what you intend to do with the rifle overall. Daniel Defense is a top line manufacturer with excellent machining quality. Noveske and LMT are my top 2 favorites but do not leave out a look at LaRue (or take a ride to see em!! they are TX based; Mark LaRue not real friendly in my experience).

ALl that said if you are looking for a basic AR that will shoot 1" or under groups there are a lot of choices. Rock River 1/8 SS Wylde chamber is a darn good upper for the cost. Sis STAG (parent company is CMT), and Smith & Wesson, as well as the mentioned Bravo Co. CMMG is another not to leave off the table.

PM or e-mail me if you wan't more. I would seriously consider rethinking the 7.62x39 and ponder the 6.8SPC. I built 3 6.8's and they are great for hogs and deer. Very well supported with magazines and bullets from many different manufacturers. 7.62x39 not always easy to get mags for and feeding often troublesome. Silver State Armory 6.8 brass lasts and lasts if you reload your own.

7.62x39 ARs generally have reliability problems. If you must have a .30cal AR, .300BLK is the way to go.

6.8SPC is another good choice for good terminal ballistics on goblins and deer.

Nothing beats .223/5.56 for general use. Low recoil, easy to reload, cheapest centerfire brass-cased ammo around. Some guys even hunt deer with it.

Last edited:
Ive got a AO Precision flat top reciver comming in this week. Will be using a rifle lenght bushmaster 223 bbl l have on hand. Using a Adams arms piston conversion. Will give lmo when lt shows and l start putting it together.
DD

Originally Posted By: dinkydau
Ive got a AO Precision flat top reciver comming in this week. Will be using a rifle lenght bushmaster 223 bbl l have on hand. Using a Adams arms piston conversion. Will give lmo when lt shows and l start putting it together.
DD

Thanks; I would appreciate any info that you have. I just ordered 2 of the AO uppers (they are on clearance at Midway for $65 each). Two of the three ARs will be for my sons and I will build another for myself.

7.62x39 ARs generally have reliability problems. If you must have a .30cal AR, .300BLK is the way to go.

6.8SPC is another good choice for good terminal ballistics on goblins and deer.

Nothing beats .223/5.56 for general use. Low recoil, easy to reload, cheapest centerfire brass-cased ammo around. Some guys even hunt deer with it.

I agree on all points (well...maybe not deer with a .223). The 300AAC uses the same magazines as the 5.56 so that is a fairly easy choice. I use .223 in a Remington 700 for prairie dogs and it is an all around favorite. Too much brass and bullets not to consider it
smile.gif

Most Texas size deer will humanely fall to a decently placed 60gr Nosler Partition or any of the heavier expanding monolithic bullets like the E-Tip or Barnes TSX/TTSX. Sure isn't the best choice on a marginal shot or a slight miss. Heck, 25-06 made for deer!

I have 300BLK from DD, Noveske, and Wilson. All are absolutely top notch, and I am in a 300BLK phase. 10.5-12.x" barrels w 12-14" free float rails and a can on the end of each, and the result is an accurate, powerful, and easy to shoot SBR that's quieter than a 22LR w subsonic ammo.

Which barrel length? Also, subsonic or Super?

I always shoot heavy rounds, I hate lightweight rounds in the same caliber because they are too unpredictable. For the 300BLK that means 200gr+ at around 1050-1110fps (results in about 575-650lb-ft of energy on the low side, but carries the speed and subsequently the energy MUCH better than a handgun round so much so that it's a viable option for shooting past 100yds).

The thing that's so great about the 300BLK, besides the silence/energy retention, is that it doesn't require a long barrel to gain velocity, in fact the velocity gain per inch of barrel is very, very low, less than any other AR chambering.

Originally Posted By: nleksan
Which barrel length? Also, subsonic or Super?

I always shoot heavy rounds, I hate lightweight rounds in the same caliber because they are too unpredictable. For the 300BLK that means 200gr+ at around 1050-1110fps (results in about 575-650lb-ft of energy on the low side, but carries the speed and subsequently the energy MUCH better than a handgun round so much so that it's a viable option for shooting past 100yds).

The thing that's so great about the 300BLK, besides the silence/energy retention, is that it doesn't require a long barrel to gain velocity, in fact the velocity gain per inch of barrel is very, very low, less than any other AR chambering.

This is what peaked my interest. 10" or 12" SBR in 5.56 with 75gr OTM (LE TAP round is my fav) really putters out. I find the 14.5 to be acceptable. I wish Hornady would market the bullet and powder for the 75gr OTM.

Originally Posted By: BISCUT
This is what peaked my interest. 10" or 12" SBR in 5.56 with 75gr OTM (LE TAP round is my fav) really putters out. I find the 14.5 to be acceptable. I wish Hornady would market the bullet and powder for the 75gr OTM.

Hornady does sell the 75gr BTHP, SKU #2279. It is not the LE TAP version that has a cannelure though. Midway has them in stock.

Every once in a while, Midway and Midsouth have "blemished" bullets on sale. These are often Hornady bullets. Sometimes they are tarnished or have inconsistent cannelures. Other times, they are non-catalog items. I have some 68gr BTHP w/ cannelure. Hornady is the only company making a .224 68gr BTHP and they look exactly like my first-quality Hornady 68gr bullets except for the added cannelure. IOW, when you see those sales, check for 75gr bullets. They may have cannelures on them.

I get 1 MOA out of those 68gr bullets... not bad for blems!

I received my two AO Precision upper receivers today and although I have not test fitted them to my lower receiver for $65 they look nice!

p0j7.jpg
vcy4.jpg

yfqb.jpg

j57p.jpg

Originally Posted By: BISCUT

Hornady does sell the 75gr BTHP, SKU #2279. It is not the LE TAP version that has a cannelure though. Midway has them in stock.

Every once in a while, Midway and Midsouth have "blemished" bullets on sale. These are often Hornady bullets. Sometimes they are tarnished or have inconsistent cannelures. Other times, they are non-catalog items. I have some 68gr BTHP w/ cannelure. Hornady is the only company making a .224 68gr BTHP and they look exactly like my first-quality Hornady 68gr bullets except for the added cannelure. IOW, when you see those sales, check for 75gr bullets. They may have cannelures on them.

I get 1 MOA out of those 68gr bullets... not bad for blems!

That is a different bullet than in the LE version of TAP. The powders are also not available to civilian market, Hornady citing the very low muzzle flash as the reason. The LE version is also standard brass cased and 5.56 not 223. Makes a difference in a 10-12" barrel.

Biscut, have you considered moving to a load with the Barnes TSX bullet? The tests I've seen (paper and gelatin) indicate it's quite good.

TSX excellent bullets. I've used them in 5.56, 25-06, 25WSSM, 30-06, 35 Whelen with zero failures. Almost always a pass through into animal hides. 25WSSM I recovered after shattering a 110lb doe's shoulder still retained 97% weight. I shot a 06 180gr TSX into a stump. Recovered bullet weighed around 172gr and opened up the way it's advertised.

I like the 75gr OTM LE Hornady a lot. My dept. prefers the lighter 55gr for we are purely urban. Have to say the Sierra Game King 55gr is impressive.

Part of the allure of the TSX is that it is available as a component and is loaded by a few different companies.

The T2 TAP is a very good load, but availability sucks, especially for non-LE.

You don't see many people shooting .25 caliber rifles. Neat!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back