ATF & Shift Kits (A960E)

Hello,

Looking for some advice on ATF with Shift Kits on my A960E Transmission.

I own a Subaru BRZ, which has an A960E (6 Speed Aisin) Transmission that was installed with a shift kit as well as upgraded clutch packs 1-4th gear + new seals when the car was NA. Now that my BRZ is Turbocharged, I believe I am having Shift Flare going from 1st to 2nd which seems to be happening at operating temperatures mostly. (85-90c ATF is what I have it logged via OBDII).

Issue: When shifting with some decent throttle and changing from 1st to 2nd it seems like the RPM Kicks up a little, holds while engine revs and then it shoots up to match engine speed, breaking traction. I've researched slippage but all examples of it, the RPM is hitting the limiter while the car isn't moving. This however feels like a superslow shift with no rpm increase then it shoots up quickly when it finally changes the gear.

ATF: When the Valvebody Modifications was first done, they (Transmission Shop) used Hi-Tec Oils Multitrans ATF (Australian Company) instead of Toyota WS. Once I've discovered that the viscocity is "7.21CSt @ 100c" instead of the factory WS 5.45CSt @ 100c". I decided to try Redline D6 ATF 6.3CSt @ 100c and am now running a 70% Toyota WS & 30% D6.

Question: When installing a shift kit, is the valvebody calibrated somehow to the ATF that they use? (They always use the same oil for the A960E) So would my idea of thinning it out back to factory viscocity lose line pressure that could issue this issue? I did reset TCM when I changed fluid also.

Unrelated Question to issue: Are there any non-slip additive ATF for Toyota WS specced transmissions? I don't care about comfort or smooth shifting. I want the snappiest sharpest shifting possible for the transmission.

Note 1: All other gears shift fine and are extremely sharp/quick. (Really pulls you back during shifts) 1-2nd works as intended when 100% throttle at high rpms. It only slips during low rpm medium throttle (Like accelerating when the light turns to green.)
Note 2: I've had no issues at all when NA. Although now I have doubled the HP & Torque.
Note 3: The transmission shop is an 8 hour drive away. They had the most experience in the country on this platform hence why I decided to go there. Hoping it's something simple that I can do here.
Note 4: Cold temperatures seem to be the best shifting 1st - 2nd. It doesn't really have any issues until it hits operating temp.
Note 5: I never tested the supplied ATF (Hi-Tec) with the turbo setup. But if it makes sense to you guys, then I might consider it. But want opinions before spending more money on ATF.

Would really appreciate some input on this as although I'm trying to learn as much as I can about ATF's and transmissions, I still would like feedback/opinions.

Back