Aquaintance has trouble getting engine fixed ... This is sad

Guy I see when I commute was saying the timing chain in his 2011 F150 broke. Doesn't know if the valves hit the pistons or not. He said NO dealer on Long Island will fix it and as of yet, he hasn't found a private mechanic that wants it either. I've seen this too. Everyone in our area wants to do throttle bodies, oil changes... Whatever is fast. I knew a guy that would have fixed it for him but he died recently. Another guy I know is getting old. Basically turned his shop from repairs to tires and inspections.
If we lived in another part of the country, I'm sure he could get this fixed. I'd even do it for him if I had a suitable shop. Currently, I do not.
I've seen this truck, as we get off at the same stop. It's spotless since he only uses it to go to the train. He said what can I even get for it since it doesn't run?
It's one of those twin turbo V6s so I'm sure a V8 swap isn't even cost effective.
Anyway, I guess my point is we're running out of talented mechanics on LI. Clinebarger, any interest in opening a shop in the NE? You'd probably make a killing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guy I see when I commute was saying the timing chain in his 2011 F150 broke. Doesn't know if the valves hit the pistons or not. He said NO dealer on Long Island will fix it and as of yet, he hasn't found a private mechanic that wants it either.
Too risky. You quote a timing chain job and spend hours replacing them, and when you start it up you find half the valves are bent. Then you have to go back to pull the heads to fix that and the profitable job turns into a money losing one.

The problem is not just doing the repair, if the chain broke a lot of damage could have been done that would cost a lot of money to repair and may even require a short block and head work plus a lot of other parts. A low mile used engine is also possible but it should be serviced before installation, also not the cheapest. The truck is worth 11-12K so putting a good portion of its value into it makes no sense.
Stuff like this I would look at very carefully and make sure the owner understands is willing to spend the $$$ before committing to do the job, you can repair the engine only to find out it needs turbo work and all sorts of parts or god forbid you put a reman in it and it lets go, they you are married to this thing.

Honestly this one is easy to walk away from.

He may have to take it to a Ford dealership. Seems timing chain jobs are very common on Fords. Wonder what's causing it? I personally have never known anyone who's had to replace a timing chain.
I should have clarified... No Ford dealer wants to do it.

I should have clarified... No Ford dealer wants to do it.
I live in a Ford Super Duty town - before the chip crash - our lone dealer was 5:1 250/350 -vs- 150.
They are not getting any units to sell - and those that do want $90k for a truck.
End result is the service dept is flat out like a lizard drinking water.
(lots of cab off work too) …

I live in a Ford Super Duty town - before the chip crash - our lone dealer was 5:1 250/350 -vs- 150.
They are not getting any units to sell - and those that do want $90k for a truck.
End result is the service dept is flat out like a lizard drinking water.
(lots of cab off work too) …
Wow!

NYE,

This doesn't help your friend, but I think worth posting for someone in the SouthEast looking for options on major vehicle repairs.

When I have spent time in Leesville, Louisiana (FT Polk), I am always amazed by the quantity of independent mechanic shops doing offering major repairs. Most of these shops do the repairs outside, under a large canopy. These seem to be on every block. My guess is many people in the area may not be able to buy new cars, and the hourly labor for mechanics is likely around the $10-15 per hour mark. And that may be high.

I have no idea of the quality of the work in Leesville, LA area. But shops are everywhere to swap engines and transmissions.

I'd say for your friend to ask around, and be prepared to go outside the metro area.
IMO, the only feasible way to repair the truck is to find a good boneyard engine and either do it himself or find someone who does work on the side, or a indy that doesn't have all the overhead that is able and willing to do it for a reasonable cost.
I wouldn't waste the time and money that it would take to rebuild the unit in it. Too many potential issues with parts being trashed when the chain broke.

Back