Aquaintance has trouble getting engine fixed ... This is sad

It's getting bad there. I had to pick something up there and couldn't park on Peninsula Blvd, I had to go up a side street. I thought I was in East New York.
Every once in a while I stop by Moreland Hose. Like a little haven in the middle of a disaster. I actually live five minutes from the one in Oakdale but I know all the guys in Hempstead for over thirty years.

Longblock is $6,399 plus all of the gaskets, seals, chemicals, and hardware required to do the job correctly. Depending on the mileage they will also probably want to do the turbos since they tend to have the bypass flappers break at higher mileage. That also is not including labor to do that job which is around 20-25 hours and we are $180/hr. So the dealers probably don't want to break it to the customer that they are looking at $10-12K for an 11 year old truck.
That is what I figured, better to sell it as is. Anything over $0 is profit.

Hello CVT transmissions....
Hello any FWD transmission that's hidden behind a subframe
When transmissions started taking 3+ hours to remove, plus rusted bolts and nonsense, they started giving up on cars because of it
My father managed a transmission shop in Brooklyn in the mid 80s
He says if you had the right size sockets and tools laid out, your average RWD GM transmission was on the bench being worked on within an hour
Chrysler similar, some Ford's took a little longer
I'm terrified at the thought of a FWD V6 transmission that needs to come out on a 10+ year old car
Subframe bolts, alignment, whatever other BS breaks in the process
Torching exhaust bolts
I guess that's why all the Maxima's, Accord's, TL's, Taurus/Sables went to the big service department in the sky

Last edited:
That is what I figured, better to sell it as is. Anything over $0 is profit.
Like we do them, but the customer has to pay all the parts upfront. Its amazing how fast people pull the trigger to fix something but then put the gun back in the holster when they have to pay to cover the parts we are ordering.

Also, I am not condoning this, but I have seen it done a bunch. A shop will not want to do to the job, but are trying to be nice and not say they don't want to do the job. So they just give a massive quote to make the person leave. Its funny, just today a shop called for an engine on a 02 Econoline. The shop is one that is super professional and the owner said "you know if you say its obsolete, I will be forever grateful to you."

“car care” centers are not interested in holding up bays doing big work they want in and out

dealers don’t want old junk they have enough business with late model stuff
That is the most profitable business model. Quick easy jobs that you can have out in a few hours. That is what all the automotive consultants say. The big jobs can be profitable, but there can be no snags. Also it is rough on the techs because they usually get pulled off of an engine replacement to do diag on other cars, then kept off of the engine job to fix teh other cars they diag'd. Then called into the manager's office with the customer that owns the engine job because the 20 hour engine job is on week 2. To day there is massive burnout amongst techs is an understatement.

Every once in a while I stop by Moreland Hose. Like a little haven in the middle of a disaster. I actually live five minutes from the one in Oakdale but I know all the guys in Hempstead for over thirty years.
I was at Moreland Hose a few weeks back, for a connection for a hydraulic hose. I had them make up AC hoses for me, and hydraulic hoses for a log splitter years ago. It's in the middle of a disaster alright. I hear Henry Street is a real hoot late at night.

Reactions: JC1
If he feels like towing it to southeastern PA I can fix it. Unfortunately this isnt a job that can be quoted sight unseen and an internal engine failure has to be approached as disassemble and inspect and it is likely that the cylinder heads will have to come off to replace valves.
That's why we would just quote an engine. There is no local machine shop that I would feel comfortable even sending SBF iron heads to and have them machined properly.

I go to the local pick a part occasionally. Its really sad to see half the vehicles in the yard are there for some mechanical thing that could likely have been fixed. If the vehicle was local it is rust free to boot. Throw away society.

Reactions: JC1
That's why we would just quote an engine. There is no local machine shop that I would feel comfortable even sending SBF iron heads to and have them machined properly.
I can certainly understand that. We do quite a bit of internal engine work and have a good machine shop locally which makes me comfortable with doing internal repairs. If not I would have no choice but to do engines or at least sell recon or new heads

Back