Aquaintance has trouble getting engine fixed ... This is sad

I finally ran into this guy and asked what happened with the truck. Conveniently, his sister or cousin or somebody married a guy who owns a machine shop. They bought a used engine, went through it, replaced the chains and whatever else looked less than perfect and swapped it themselves.
He still gets in this thing ice cold and just lays into it. Hope they don't mind doing it again someday.
This is the way

If you can convince someone to let you change their timing belt, you should go into marketing. I doubt most people would let an 17 year old change their oil, letalone a job like that.
My brother rebuilt his first engine before he got his driver's license. I was an aircraft mechanic in the USCG at 18. Young people can learn fast.

I have been to Central, Islip !!!
Is the Corvair junkyard still there?
and he fixed it for around $1,500.
a Ford tech and he fixed it for around $1,500.
Aww come 'on, what was the problem?

Glad the OP's friend has a rebuilt engine to destroy. There's a shop in Ridgefield Park, NJ to which I've given a complete set of good 5.7l (Chevy )push rods. I'll ask how they'd do it.

In the mean time, I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a newer Tacoma for my friend's son.

forgot to mention that doing a timing belt in 2 days and making $1000 sure beats working at the nearest McDonalds
Lucky you. When I was a high school kid I did much more, from engine overhauls and automatic transmissions, and got pretty much nothing for the work. Yeah just a stupid kid I was. Since I fixed my teachers items, I did get some good grades.

I haven’t read every post, but I ‘m thinking the truck is 12 years old and 1/2 of other trucks this age are in the wrecking yard. The best bet is to pull an engine from a wrecked truck. Failing that, sell it to a yard for salvage value.

My brother rebuilt his first engine before he got his driver's license. I was an aircraft mechanic in the USCG at 18. Young people can learn fast.
I was rebuilding dirt bike engines and such. I remember splitting the engine cases to replace a crankshaft in my 3 wheeler. I wouldn't want to try to do that now as my memory and patience have both gone down hill.

I’m moving to America going to buy the house next door to yours and do 2 VW TDI timing belts a day if that’s the case.

Which ones are a pain?
honda crank bolts are retarded
i had to use 10 feet of pipe as a cheater bar on the last honda i did

forgot to mention that if you walk into most auto shops in the states and ask them how much to work on a European diesel they'll usually give you a high $$ quote even though the European cars aren't that hard to work on

I should have clarified... No Ford dealer wants to do it.
Did they not even offer to price a used engine installed?
When I worked at a Goodyear years ago someone did plugs in a 5.4 3v. Something in the spark plug hole must have fallen down in. Engine grenaded immediately on startup.
The manager put the replacement through the shops insurance and had a rental car ready for the guy when he showed up and found out he needed an engine.

Didn't read through the entire thread. But the good thing about F150s is Ford sells A TON of them. Therefore junkyards parts (inc. motors) are plentiful. That's always an option.

Back