APPLIANCES LIFE SPAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

rat

I just had to purchase a referigerator as my 10 year old Whirlpool gave up over the weekend. The salesman at the local apliance shop informed me that 10 years is about the maximum expected life of appliances anymore, and that the manufacturers want it this way so that the customer is forced to buy new ones and therefore stimulate the economy. Thoughts?

That is what I am told as well. Stimulate the economy?????? The salesman really ment to say make more profit!!!

My old refrigerator broke after about 10-11 years, my old front load washer gone after 12 years. I think the life span of major appliances are about 7-8 years, more than that is bonus.

Nothing new. Planned obsolescence has been in use for years, and not just when it comes to appliances.

For most people, 10 years is long enough. Most people want the latest and greatest and there is usually a lot of advancements made within 10 years. But I agree that it's a shame when it comes to things like refrigerators and dryers that could have been kept simple.

Originally Posted By: rat
I just had to purchase a referigerator as my 10 year old Whirlpool gave up over the weekend. The salesman at the local apliance shop informed me that 10 years is about the maximum expected life of appliances anymore, and that the manufacturers want it this way so that the customer is forced to buy new ones and therefore stimulate the economy. Thoughts?

i was told about 8 years avg. It seems the energy efficient designs reduce the lifespan, Thinner metal, more plastic etc. You can still find refrigerators from the 50's still running.

15 yrs for fridge, washer, dryer. 20 yrs furnace and A/C(unless in extreme climate, TX maybe only 10-12 yr). 10 yrs water heater.

Of course salesmen want to keep pushing these times lower. It's in their financial interest. I don't blame 'em, just gotta be a wise consumer.

Part of the problem is nobody fixes their stuff anymore. Well, I guess it really isn't so much a problem, but a personal choice. We've been conditioned to throw-away and BUY BUY BUY.

Our Whirlpool Refrig is 13 years old and counting. The secret is to thoroughly clean the coils under the frig. Then take off the back cardboard and clean the compressor and the fan. Get rid of all of the dust.

I do this every year and have a schedule.

My stove is going on about 60 years now. It's still going strong. I cleaned it up and re-built the valves about 10 years ago when I bought. I spent $250.00 on it and put another $5.00 into it:

240zudf.jpg

As you can see, I did break the knob on the far right, which is going to cost me about $15.00 dollars. I can disassemble the entire stove with a flat-head screwdriver (which I needed to do in order to get it upstairs into the kitchen!).

I'm typically not a "they don't make 'em like they use to" sorta guy, because typically, today's stuff is better. I think stoves are a big exception to that, though.

All of my appliances are 14 years old, except for my range which died at 12 years. I know I am living on borrowed time.

Originally Posted By: JOD
My stove is going on about 60 years now. It's still going strong. I cleaned it up and re-built the valves about 10 years ago when I bought. I spent $250.00 on it and put another $5.00 into it:

As you can see, I did break the knob on the far right, which is going to cost me about $15.00 dollars. I can disassemble the entire stove with a flat-head screwdriver (which I needed to do in order to get it upstairs into the kitchen!).

I'm typically not a "they don't make 'em like they use to" sorta guy, because typically, today's stuff is better. I think stoves are a big exception to that, though.

Real good looking stove, it even goes with the new style countertops. They don't make 'em like that anymore that is for sure.

I bought a tappan gas stove from lowes a few years back, the guys couldn't even get it off the truck without bending up the side of it, and denting it!

That stove is great JOD. I love gas for stoves, electric (especially corning style surface) is just not good for actually cooking. All for looks if you ask me.

My gf`s parents have one they keep outside to store extra meat,etc in. It was made in the 50s (belonged to her dad`s parents) and it still works perfectly. They sure don`t make stuff like they used to! Everything now is cheapy,plastic everywhere,and basically disposable. Once the warranty runs out,they`re basically spent.

Last edited:
Everything is disposable now, and the majority of parts are made off shore. A few pennies saved by the manufacturer costs the buyer hundreds of dollars in a few years.

Also, warranties have been shortened across the market to correspond.

I would gladly pay double current market prices for a refrigerator that would last like the ones made in the '50s.

It is my belief that north american manufacturing can be on top again if it gets back to the basics of building the best quality products in the world. I hope we are building a critical mass of people who see through the folly of buying cheap, disposable foreign made garbage that has to be replaced every few years. I hope the age of buying on price alone dies, and buyers will be offered high quality goods at a higher price. I think north america can't be beat for quality, and I think enough people have seen the outcome from being on the buy and throw away treadmill.

I am sick of the current idea that you throw away a $2500 refrigerator after 5 years (as consumer reports recommends) if the repair cost would exceed something like $250. I for one will pay way more to buy a quality product that won't likely need repairs but if it does is worth repairing.

I hope north american manufacturing takes a chance on this business model. It could be the start of an economic renaissance. Not to mention the reduction in landfill waste and ecological damage.

I dunno.
Our dishwasher and washing machine were both about $200.00 new about fifteen years ago, and are still going strong.
We got twenty years out of the first refrigerator we bought, and the range is fine after at least fifteen years.
Appliances actually seem pretty durable and reliable to me, although it may be that they have declined in both qualities since the mid 'nineties.

Originally Posted By: rat

Funny my 10 year old Kenmore refrigerator just went too. I bought a new one. I figure $400 every ten years is $40 a year. Not bad I guess. Now if I paid $2000 plus every 10 years, then thats a rip off.

We have a Microwave that is now 25 years old and it still does the job. Also there is an old fridge in the garage (120º in the summer) that is approaching 15 years old, and going strong. I hate to even think about replacing them with lesser products......ANY replacement would be a lesser product. Pity, is it not?

Originally Posted By: spasm3
You can still find refrigerators from the 50's still running.

This is true, my sister has one that came from our grandparents house and it works perfectly.
We used to manufacture quality things built to last, and maybe its just me, but wasn't the economy at close to its best during that time?

I think 10-12 years is a very reasonable lifespan for durable goods. Obviously, there will be outliers that self-destruct immediately or last for a very long time. Even if the good is manufactured with planned obsolescence in mind, these goods will last for a very very long time with proper care. Last year I watched a documentary about the repairmen in a bazaar somewhere in Africa that would import broken TV-s and such from the US and repair them for sale.

The reason we keep these goods well below their probably lives is because we are a prosperous country whose economic well being is based on steadily growing consumption.

Things I learn is that you cannot trust what a sales person said without verifying it yourself.

How do we know how long things will last? It is not written down, and until a similar design in the past with similar build quality starts dying in dove, you will not know how long will things last.

Build quality wise, it is hard to predict unless there's design defect (chinese capacitors, Honda V6 auto transmission, for example).

If you are concern about life span, you should buy simple models that are easy to fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back