APPLIANCES LIFE SPAN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SLCraig
That stove is great JOD. I love gas for stoves, electric (especially corning style surface) is just not good for actually cooking. All for looks if you ask me.

Thanks! Yeah, I love that stove. Besides the fact that it'll last forever and looks cool, it both burns hotter and simmers lower than almost any non-commercial (not faux commercial) stove available. And I just hate to throw stuff away, so I like the fact that a 60 year old stove works like new, and can be repaired.

I had a matching '50's refrigerator, but I'll confess, I gave up on it. Keeping it running seemed like a part-time job, it was really noisy, and it cost a lot of money to operate--and it was tiny.

Got a 50's General Electric frig in the garage. Sees -10 to 95 degrees yearly.

Works like a champ & is super quiet!!!
thumbsup2.gif

My Maytag washer made it 24 years. Now leaks a bit. Not sure where...probably repairable. Wife wanted new.
whistle.gif

Kenmore gas dryer didn't make it 10 years. Died at 9 years after a repair almost every year!! Hunkajunk!!!!

Whirlpool (midline) dishwasher is already on the rag after 2 years.

Kenmore 'fridge is 10 years old, repaired twice.....

I think I see a trend here!!

I had to give up my whirlpool washer/dryer about 4 years ago. I was the 3rd owner on them and they lasted around 25 years. The dryer died, but I gave the washer away which was working just fine.

I've owned 3 fridges, one of which is still working in my garage, an Amana bottom freezer that's going on a decade.

I had the same water heater for 25 years. I replaced the heating element once. Never touched it otherwise. I now have a new one but that's because I moved.

Same stove/oven for 25 years. Microwave was at least 10 years old and I gave it away, still working.

Had the same whirlpool AC unit for 25 years. I repaired that quite a few times, though, replacing the fan motor I believe 3 times and had to jump the blower fan to permanently be on when the AC running, and a few capacitors over the years.

Never had a dishwasher, until I moved last year. Don't know much about those.

Maybe things really aren't built like they used to be? I know most of the older stuff, especially the AC unit, was very inefficient. I bet I'd break even had I replaced it 10-15 years earlier.

My mom recently got rid of her 1955 vintage Coldspot deepfreeze (it still worked, she just wanted a smaller one, and bought a new one made in China) but is still using her 1966 vintage Westinghouse range and her 1978 vintage Kenmore washer and dryer. New appliances will never last like that, due to manufacturing shortcuts and cheaper construction. In addition, the Energy Star requirements are forcing manufacturers to install smaller motors and compressors in order to maximize efficiency and reduce energy consumption. But these smaller motors are being overworked and will not last as long as older, oversized motors and controls. I've heard that 5 years is getting to be the norm for appliance life, and 10 years is pushing your luck.

we have a Kelvinator fridge that was in the house when we bought it; we've never even changed the bulb in 15 years! it has to be defrosted every now and then, but it works well. I guess it's at least 50 years old.
I'm tired of cheap washers and dryers; on one hand, the cheaper they are, the simpler they are, but I hate having to replace cheap heating elements.
I got rid of one dryer (again, it was in the house) after the wiring finally caught fire. I had to get into this one like 3 times and I took this as a sign it wasn't worth fixing anymore.
about 8 years ago we bought a new primary fridge, a samsung that I thought was a lot of money (about $1300). it's still going strong, never even broke any shelves or anything.

I think part of the problem is we as Americans want stuff for cheap and then complain it's imported or doesn't last.

you CAN buy durable American made appliances, but they don't sell them at Lowe's! go to the independent dealers and you'll find Viking, Thermador, Sub-Zero, Wolf, etc, all American made! you'll pay more, but it will be well built and you'll never have to buy it again.

IMHO increase in component/construction cost and also fierce competition are what lead to the termed "planned obsolescence" in NA consumer grade appliances.

While I adore old-world builds such as old Maytag washing machines (ours just past 21 yrs old and still churning every 2 days), unfortunately, not everything built the way it used to anymore, citing fierce marketing competition (inferior quality products priced cheeply flooded the NA market, and directly competes with otherwise high quality domestic stuff). In order to stay competitive, most manufacturers resort to using cheep components, which fail sooner than later...

don't forget that avg NA consumers are "relatively" poor in a sense that (a ) they want immediate gratifications and instead of saving up to buy a higher-quality unit; they would resort to buying an inferior product (made cheeply, priced extremely competitive) and obtain the satisfaction right away; (b ) most avg joes don't care about how long the unit will last, so long as what they buy are priced cheeply.

These are the mentalities that drove the market towards being wasteful (consuming inferior products that typically lasts significantly less than a high quality, well constructed unit for the given function).

My 2c's worth.

Q.

I'll agree w/ that.

I read something recently that made sense: a woman said her grandmother told her "poor people can't afford to buy cheap stuff", meaning that, cheap stuff costs you more in the long run if you have to replace it.
I hate having to buy tools again, I've been burned by cheap tools that break or ruin the piece you are working on. I have no patience for cheap cookware that won't heat evenly, or falls apart. or cheap knives that can't cut an onion.

but I digress
smile.gif

for example: My LG DV530 (*sino built) been in-use since 2005 and still works fine until today. As a matter of fact: I luv that DVD play so much that I just went thriftstore shopping and bought a second one.

On the other hand: Wallymart has some seriously cheep DeeVeeDee players for sale for approx. 19bucks and they never see more than 2 yrs of service before they start to fail...am I surprised? Nope.

Case to the point: you get what you pay for...

*just reminded by a Billy Joel's song:"...get a set of cheep white wall tires or cruise the miracle miles...."

Q.

Last edited:
The "stimulate the economy" argument rings hollow with me. As a country that once had a proud reputation of building quality products that last a long time, I think it is in our best interests to bring back this reputation. If we can spend an incremental amount more to get a markedly robust product that lasts a long time and is worthy of repair, this would free up our pocketbooks to buy more (and better) stuff. The net result would be a country with lots of quality product, and has more money to spend for more stuff. This would be the way to a wealthier nation. Churning money to spend on junk is not the way to stimulate the economy.

Unfortunately, this goes against corporate thinking.

Originally Posted By: cbear
For some reason I will never equate LG (Lucky Goldstar) with quality. I remember the Goldstar junk from the 80s.

I hear you. My LG LCD TV (still nice) and a couple phones is as far as this family was going.........then we went washer and dryer. I'm buying a 3rd party warranty....I think for some reason this was not our wisest consumer purchase, but time will tell.

LG, Hyundai, etc. came a long way to become who they are these days.

Yes, I still vividly recall that Hyundai Pony in the 80s, those OEM'ed LG built Japanese name brand portable gettoblaster, etc. While I'm not having too fond of memories on them, I must say "wow" these days when revisiting these Korean name brands after a decade or 2 of absence.

Now I treat these Korean brands the same way I treat quality Japanese brands (the catchword here is:" quality", not just those the priced accordingly in NA consumer market)

Q.

I think another reason nobody's touched on as to why appliances don't last as long is that the typical American consumer doesn't seem to WANT them to last very long. Have you noticed how many perfectly good, relatively new kitchen appliances are tossed out just because the wife wants to go with the latest trendy color, such as stainless steel? Same with washing machines, I see a lot of perfectly good washer and dryer sets for sale on Craig's List simply because the wife wanted to get rid of her "old fashioned" top loader for some trendy front loader. When I bought my house a quarter century ago, I was appalled to see white kitchen appliances dating to 1977. At the time, almond was the "in" color, but I kept the perfectly working white appliances, and guess what? White came full circle to being the "in" color (until the stainless steel craze). I quit worrying about being "up to date" years ago, and just enjoy having money in the bank.

Last edited:
My washer & dryer are in the basement. No fashion statement needed there. Pity the people whose appliances are upstairs and on display.

My Whirlpool refrig is 28 yrs old. I've put two icemakers in it. Also a low pressure switch. I clean the coil on a regular basis. When I got the speil about energy efficiency, I replied it only draws 2 amps when the compressor runs. Their response? "What's an amp?"

My washer & dryer are both Sears (Whirlpool?) and 20 yrs old. No trouble at all. No leaks. I periodically blow the lint out of the dryer duct to keep it clear. Keeps the dryer from overheating. In addition, I've had a water softener at my house for 28 yrs, which helps the washer, dishwasher, water heater, clothes, etc last longer.

The dishwasher is a 20 yr old Maytag with a mechanical timer. No leaks. I recently had to repair some sections of the racks that were beginning to rust.

The microwave is an original Amana that's ~ 28 yrs old. It's above the stove with a true ducted vent hood. It's not as fast as the newer models, but it has a cook-to-temp probe which is very handy. No guessing or boiling coffee!

My electric stove is rather poor though. What I do like is that the controls are on the front, like a gas range, instead of the rear. So I don't have to reach over a boiling pot to lower the temp. I suspect the lawyers did away with all electric models like mine years ago. I need to do some R&R on it. The oven thermostat is spot on though. If I had gas in my neighborhood, I'd of switched to a gas range years ago...

Lastly, my house AC unit is about 23 years old. It's a Janitrol, which is pretty generic. 15 years ago, I studied up on AC systems and hired a tech to replace the cap tube/flow rater with an expansion valve. We also fixed some mistakes the installers made. The efficiency went up, & the humidity in my house dropped. I also sealed the plenum box, and clean both the evap & cond coils on a regular basis. I also check the fan blades on the squirrel cage blower for gunk. Since sealing everything up, they never get dirty. Makes a big difference. I live in a hot, humid area, but the humidity inside rarely rises above 40%. As I type this now, it's 30%. Mind you, this is a 28 yr old house too.

Years ago I decided to educate myself on all this stuff to minimize my chances of being ripped-off & taken advantage of by salesman & unscrupulous repairman. That education has saved me a bundle over the decades.

One last note: I'm suspicious of the front load washers and new breed of dishwashers. For one, they're outrageously expensive & complicated & billed as saving 'water & energy'. One friend with a Bosch dishwasher said it takes nearly an hour & a half to wash a load of dishes on the normal cycle! So he only uses quick wash now..and they prewash the dishes! It's also smaller inside than my old Maytag. It is very quiet though.

Another one bought a front end washer and commented on how long it takes to wash a load of clothes (~1-1/2 hrs??). She also complained of the smell of mold (???) on some of her clothes. She says really dirty clothes aren't cleaned well because the thing uses so little water. So she washes them again. They paid more than $1200 for this thing. I noticed on my water bill that 1500 ga costs me only $3.25. With water that cheap, you'd never recover the savings before the washer expired.

More marketing hype......

Last edited:
We replaced a 20 year-old In-Sink-Erator dishwasher with a new Whirlpool unit (about $390 on sale) this year. The old unit would take about an hour to wash a load. The new Whirlpool takes ~two and a half hours on the Normal cycle.

The ISE unit had a 9 amp motor and the Whirlpool's is 2.7. I have noticed these new units seem to run "smarter" - the motor does not run all the time as it did in the old units. More intermittantly, and will continue to wash/rine while dumping water, for example.

Supposidly it uses 30% less energy and water. It does sense if the water is dirty enough to dump and re-load with fresh water before it opens the soap dispenser, and in general is a much quieter unit. We'll see if it lasts 20 years though. We use it 2-4 times a day!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back