Apple updates their $400 phone

Testing and teardown of the Apple 20W USB-C Power Adapter

Pretty decent teardown video, but I have a few issues with some of the details. Apple only make specifications for industrial design and performance, but they really just let the manufacturer choose the design. So it could be a different design if it's Salcomp, Lite-On, Flextronics, Foxlink, or Artesyn. And the nice thing about Apple is that they specify that the manufacturer's name goes on the label. The reviewer also says that the Power Integrations chip is custom for Apple, but I'm guess they have some pretty standard products out there, and if anything they're selling to the contract manufacturer.

4S > 5S > 6S > SE2. Now I know I will have a phone in the future. Thank you apple.

I like the bigger screens and why I moved into the Apple world BUT some years later I can certainly see the appeal of a well made smaller screen phone ( as long as your eyesight is good) lol
But no kidding, yeah I get it now, more so having a Mac Notebook and Mac Desktop.
It’s kind of cool, almost novelty
I still have an SE in the drawer. The one downside was that it was hard to get the microphone in an effective location at the same time the speaker is close enough to my ear. It had feedback so I could hear when I was correctly capturing the mic but there was a very small range where everything worked. Made AirPods easy to justify.

iPhone 11 is bigger, microphone is much easier to hold in an effective position.

I still have an SE in the drawer. The one downside was that it was hard to get the microphone in an effective location at the same time the speaker is close enough to my ear. It had feedback so I could hear when I was correctly capturing the mic but there was a very small range where everything worked. Made AirPods easy to justify.

iPhone 11 is bigger, microphone is much easier to hold in an effective position.
Good feedback, (no pun intended)
Hopefully if that is a issue with a lot of people it was taken care of by SE3
Yes, I currently have an XR and wife and 11

Good deal on TMobile right now, maybe more so if your 55+.
Iphone 13 regular or mini 13 at no cost.
I just chatted with them to make sure what I was seeing on the website was what it was.

They would give me $800 for my iPhone XR paid in 24 monthly credits. I would get a new iPhone 13 or 13 mini.
Good deal, monthly plan is $30 plus taxes and fees or $27.50 for each of two lines plus taxes and fees.
Unlimited everything

However I currently pay Red Pocket $50 for two line with taxes and fees included for two lines.
and would be $30 with taxes and fees for one line (RedPocket) if I did it without my wife but then RedPocket for her would go to $30 from $20 If I took my line out.

Soooooo... still not a bad deal but it would cost me $388 in extra service charges over 24 months if I switched, not bad for an $800 phone that I dont need *LOL* ... so think I will hold off. But if your paying more then, lets say $35 a month for cell service and have a iPhone that is tradable TMobile might be the answer for a new iPhone 13

Or you can pay less by going to RedPocket for an iPhone SE3 @ $329 plus their plans are so inexpensive its almost retarded.

The one thing about the SE is that the savings in terms of makings/stocking just a single type of front screen is that the repair cost is $129 in the US. The iPhone 7 and 8 have a similar size and performance, but they charge $149.

The one thing about the SE is that the savings in terms of makings/stocking just a single type of front screen is that the repair cost is $129 in the US. The iPhone 7 and 8 have a similar size and performance, but they charge $149.
Good point for some people, I am amazed at what people do to phones. For me, Ive been using cell phones since 2002 and have never cracked a screen, actually I dont even think I ever put a significant scratch on the screen or the body of any of my phones.

Good point for some people, I am amazed at what people do to phones. For me, Ive been using cell phones since 2002 and have never cracked a screen, actually I dont even think I ever put a significant scratch on the screen or the body of any of my phones.

I've dropped devices more times than I can count. Most times I had a case so there was some protection. I might have been a leather case though, but earlier mobile phones were plastic and could frankly take a good deal of dropping because they were lightweight and kind of just bounced.

The weirdest I remember was a Nokia phone. It was one of the newer ones back around 2002 maybe. I just dropped it about 3 feet and it came up with the (monochrome) display all scrambled. There wasn't anything all that serious physically other than a small scratch where it hit the ground. I could still receive calls and even make calls, but it was kind of difficult with the display looking like noise. It was still within the warranty period, so I just sent it to Nokia and they actually repaired it with a new display connector and a good cleaning. The invoice said it was user error (I did sent a note that it was dropped), but they fixed it anyways. I think the only serious issue was that the ribbon connector was probably dislodged and thus causing all the scrambling.

I've dropped a few iPads before where the display cracked. One it was limited but the crack grew. Still worked though. Eventually it started showing "ghost touch" symptoms and a friend took it to Asia for a repair. The repair worked for a while, but it also included a new battery. Eventually it failed but I think it was the battery just dying. I could probably get it repaired again.

But members of my family have dropped devices before. My mom's iPhone 6 Plus had a cracked screen, although it had been like that for a while and she was still using it. She said it was dead and didn't wake up, but when I went over it was showing that it was charging and then waked up. I was trying to get it backed up to transfer photos for her new SE.

But it is a common enough issue that there are repairs for it. Apple makes it fairly easy. Just try getting a repair done with a Samsung device. I think they have a few locations around NY/NJ, but other than that it's certainly not as convenient as getting a repair done at an Apple Store or through Apple's network of repair providers.

But it is a common enough issue that there are repairs for it. Apple makes it fairly easy. Just try getting a repair done with a Samsung device. I think they have a few locations around NY/NJ, but other than that it's certainly not as convenient as getting a repair done at an Apple Store or through Apple's network of repair providers.

Not really sure if this is the extent of their in-person service, but Samsung does apparently provide service at six "Samsung Experience" stores in the United States that I guess are supposed to be similar to Apple Stores.

They also have a network of shops that do repair for them. But I don't think they have anything quite as extensive as what Apple has set up to provide support and repairs.

Well, I checked out the new iPhone 13s today and SE3.
For those new to the thread, Im not looking for a new phone, happy with my XR. BUT I am in the mood to buy something so was/am tempted by the SE3 for a while to try out a smaller screen phone for a change. I have had large screens for some time and just feel like something different. Throw in the attractive price and might be worth it to give it a try.

But then I saw the iPhone 13 mini, awesome, really checks the right boxes for a small phone but remember, I don't really need a phone yet?
Well the 13 mini list is $700 and the SE3 with even a smaller little more dull screen is only $429.

By the way right now with T-Mobile and a recent iPhone my XR qualifies I can get the iPhone 13 mini or full size for free with a $800 credit for turning in my phone. However its not really free to me because I would pay a little more each month as I would have to switch from RedPocket and do not really want too.

So Ill most likely do nothing OR tempted to try a SE3 out for a year or so, then by that time others will come down in cost.
What has me thinking is this glowing review on ZD Net.
If your into processor speeds ect ... doesn't really matter much to me, even my XR is fine but wow, at $429 the phone is just as fast as all the other iPhone 13s and TWICE as fast as Googles Flagship (Pixel 6 Pro) phone at double the price.

Very impressive, good read for those interested in this stuff, from a technology standpoint =

-

Last edited:
Well, I checked out the new iPhone 13s today and SE3.
For those new to the thread, Im not looking for a new phone, happy with my XR. BUT I am in the mood to buy something so was/am tempted by the SE3 for a while to try out a smaller screen phone for a change. I have had large screens for some time and just feel like something different. Throw in the attractive price and might be worth it to give it a try.

But then I saw the iPhone 13 mini, awesome, really checks the right boxes for a small phone but remember, I don't really need a phone yet?
Well the 13 mini list is $700 and the SE3 with even a smaller little more dull screen is only $429.

By the way right now with T-Mobile and a recent iPhone my XR qualifies I can get the iPhone 13 mini or full size for free with a $800 credit for turning in my phone. However its not really free to me because I would pay a little more each month as I would have to switch from RedPocket and do not really want too.

So Ill most likely do nothing OR tempted to try a SE3 out for a year or so, then by that time others will come down in cost.
What has me thinking is this glowing review on ZD Net.
If your into processor speeds ect ... doesn't really matter much to me, even my XR is fine but wow, at $429 the phone is just as fast as all the other iPhone 13s and TWICE as fast as Googles Flagship (Pixel 6 Pro) phone at double the price.

Very impressive, good read for those interested in this stuff, from a technology standpoint =

-

$700 for a mini? That's ridiculous.

$700 for a mini? That's ridiculous.
I dont see it that way at all.
Iphone 13 and Iphone 13 mini. Both do and perform EXACTLY the same.
One is a compact package (mini) that one might think is actually more expensive to make getting all that technology into such a small package.
The only difference is the screen size is 13% bigger also more resolution to the screen size and larger phone which means larger battery.

So it really is just a matter if you want a small phone or large phone. The screen on the mini is so impressive I was surprised how easy even my older eyes had no problem with it.

I dont see it that way at all.
Iphone 13 and Iphone 13 mini. Both do and perform EXACTLY the same.
One is a compact package (mini) that one might think is actually more expensive to make getting all that technology into such a small package.
The only difference is the screen size is 13% bigger also more resolution to the screen size and larger phone which means larger battery.

So it really is just a matter if you want a small phone or large phone. The screen on the mini is so impressive I was surprised how easy even my older eyes had no problem with it.

As someone whose astigmatism is rapidly catching up, it's easy enough to just bring a smaller device closer to my eyes. I guess it makes me look like I'm aging, but I guess I can't really hide that I'm getting old.

There are a few things that are different with the new SE, but I guess Apple didn't want to give everything away for a bargain basement price. The iini screen is actually bigger than the SE, since it goes almost edge to edge. It's only a single camera lens without ultra wide and without Dolby HDR video, and no optical zoom. Not sure what the processor frequency is. It could be a little bit faster on the more expensive models, which they could do with bin sorting (testing for the fastest). The battery life may not be as long, but I usually carry a USB power bank with me anyways. The SE is also not MagSafe compatible, although it will charge on a Qi charging pad. Also no ultra wideband.

It doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but if one just needs all the ordinary stuff that a smart phone does, it's a great value. Also - I don't want to unlock a device by looking at it.

I’m still tempted by the SE3 just to have a different phone for the heck of it as I like electronics… speaking of which my Apple Watch 7 just gave me two alerts this week about my heart rate dropping below 40 for 10 minute periods with the exact times that it happened as I was sleeping!
First time this happened since getting the watch.
I then took some ECGs with my watch and sent them to my cardiologist through messaging but that’s a whole other subject. I can say the watch was dead on accurate in what it was reporting. Some common known to my dr and I PVCs that I have. But first time in the three months I have worn the watch I was ever aware … I love electronics.
Now I don’t only know what goes on with my vehicle engines including motorcycle and boat but now my own engine which is my heart 🙃

I really like that new green color on the 13. It’s about time for some variety.

Regarding the power blocks, I’ve had several Apple blocks for iPad, iPhones, MacBook Pro, and have used them all on both domestic US current and overseas 220v outlets with no issues. They did get warmer on the 220 outlets but nothing worrisome.

I really like that new green color on the 13. It’s about time for some variety.

Regarding the power blocks, I’ve had several Apple blocks for iPad, iPhones, MacBook Pro, and have used them all on both domestic US current and overseas 220v outlets with no issues. They did get warmer on the 220 outlets but nothing worrisome.

That's pretty universal. I haven't really seen many wall warts or rechargeable battery chargers that don't accept anything from 100-240V AC at 50-60 Hx using a switched-mode power supply. Heck - I remember a Norelco charger from the late 80s where the wall wart even took anything from 100-240V AC or DC.

I have seen some weird setups though. In certain parts of Asia they use bladed plugs like in the United States, but without the holes. But in Japan the standard power outlet is 100V AC. But In China they use this weird setup with a typical 220V at 50 Hz.

china-outlet-1.jpg

I also remember having a setup from one of my company's offices in India, where someone brought the equipment. We were using their standard wall wart for a Wi-Fi router, but with an adapter going into a standard US outlet. It all worked, but it looked really strange with the adapter. Altogether it must have been about 6 inches long sticking out of a power strip.

Back