Apple updates their $400 phone

No charger included with the SE3, despite the $29 price increase. For many its not a problem, for others its an annoyance.

I've got a bunch of Lightning to USB-A cables and USB-A power adapters around the house and they'll do just fine. Also a few USB-C power adapters. I don't need that super duper fast charging anyways. As far as cables go, I'm constantly replacing them due to wear or accident, or misplacement. It's not really that big a deal. All it requires is just a couple and then there's no need to get any new ones unless the fail. Also - a lot of new computers have high output from USB-C ports, which is perfect for newer devices.

If you been with apple since the iPhone 5 anyones stash should be stocked with lightning cords and power bricks. I don’t remember how I acquired a usb c to lightning anyway only times I used it was in my new Toyota which has type c ports and wife’s Nissan.

No charger included with the SE3, despite the $29 price increase. For many its not a problem, for others its an annoyance.

I agree, definitely an annoyance but its pretty common knowledge now that no iPhones of any price come with chargers, as many Samsungs no longer do either. More than an annoyance to me, downright cheap.
Dumb I agree but the way of the world I guess.

They way things are going, someday we will be buying cars and have to pay extra for the tires!

If you been with apple since the iPhone 5 anyones stash should be stocked with lightning cords and power bricks. I don’t remember how I acquired a usb c to lightning anyway only times I used it was in my new Toyota which has type c ports and wife’s Nissan.
Using a 5 watt Apple powerbrick even from an iPhone as late as the XR doesn't work well with the next model up, an iPhone 11 which can take a 20watt. My wife 11 didn't come with the power brick as no iPhones do anymore. The phone burnt out two of the 5 watt standard power bricks from previous Apple phones. They would last and work for a few weeks (at most) and then just stop working.
I finally gave in and bought a new Apple 20 watt brick, pissed as I was, felt bad for my wife as this was a present for her and it works fine for months now.
Sorry, but its a poor excuse to buy a $600 electronics with NO WAY TO charge it. Plain cheap and stupid as much as I love Apple products.
But now, Samsung is doing the same thing. Like I posted, someday you will be forced to buy tires for the new car you just bought ignorer to drive out of the dealer! :eek:)

I've got a bunch of Lightning to USB-A cables and USB-A power adapters around the house and they'll do just fine. Also a few USB-C power adapters. I don't need that super duper fast charging anyways.
I posted above this one my wife new at the time iPhone 11 was burning out the standard Apple powerbricks from even only one generation iPhone before the 11 (XR) Just plain cheap of Apple and its the one thing I hate them for, nothing is perfect in this world though. I actually felt the same way as you, I like the idea of slow charging, my wife too but the older Apple power bricks kept buying out, two in a row within weeks.

I posted above this one my wife new at the time iPhone 11 was burning out the standard Apple powerbricks from even only one generation iPhone before the 11 (XR) Just plain cheap of Apple and its the one thing I hate them for, nothing is perfect in this world though. I actually felt the same way as you, I like the idea of slow charging, my wife too but the older Apple power bricks kept buying out, two in a row within weeks.
I've put in several of these lately and they work great. I replaced the old USB-A ones I had earlier.

That's odd the phone burning up power bricks.. I would like to believe the phones charging circuit has the brains to realize a lower wattage supply and would just charge at a slower rate.

That's odd the phone burning up power bricks.. I would like to believe the phones charging circuit has the brains to realize a lower wattage supply and would just charge at a slower rate.
Yeah, odd for sure. At first I of course thought it was a faulty brick, but then when a second one went, well odds of a second bad one just about non existent with OEM apple.
Who knows, maybe a firmware update took care of it but a non issue anymore as we have the 20 watt and no problems at all for quite some time now.
Its just downright cheap of Apple and I LOVE their products but this was obnoxious.

Another example, my wife and I got Apple Watch 7s for Christmas, guess what?
It doesnt come with a charger and the plug at the end of the magnetic charging wire terminates in the USB "C" plug which many homes do not have chargers with a USB C port. We had to use our Mac Book Air and Mac mini to charge our watches until we bought a USB charger.
Really / $430 watch and all you get is the cable?

(as you can tell it pisses me off, I know not everyone)
USB "C" charger = only takes USB "C" cables
6458068cv11d.jpg;maxHeight=200;maxWidth=300.jpeg
6334504cv11d.jpg

Ps, I made the mistake of seeing an iPhone 13 mini.
Hmmmmm beautiful display/design, worth the money? Yeah to ever who thinks it is, no doubt the SE3 is the value.
Anyway not doing anything soon

Maybe I've been lucky but I've had pretty good luck and never had any Apple power adapter fail, including USB/FireWire and/or proprietary for notebook computers.

I've had a few weird ones though. Once my wife forgot her Samsung wall-wart (with a USB-A outlet) when we were in Asia on a vacation and we managed to buy a replacement Samsung one. It was two-prong and fit in US outlets but didn't have the hole in each blade. The oddness was that it buzzed really loud when it wasn't loaded, although it quieted down once it had a load. And once it the device was done pulling current it started buzzing again. Could have been defective or even counterfeit.

I bought 5 Belkin power adapters at a Fry's Electronics (obviously no longer open) after I saw them "in stock" near work for under $2 each. They weren't on any shelf or hang tag, but when I asked (showed an employee the online listing) she went in the back and grabbed five for me to take to the counter. They came in sealed plastic bags. I've currently got two in use, although one stopped working, which I didn't find too bad given how much I paid for it, and I get that they can randomly burn out. I looked it up on Apple's "Made for iPhone/iPad/iPod" database for Belkin devices and they're actually on the list.

6d10ad96-d7ac-4c13-8682-fa0074a7a38f.65c70961e5693234911ac7058f43b5c5.jpeg

^^^ Yeah, I think (and honestly didnt think to) much into it. The iPhone 11 was drawing too much current (maybe?) from the older 5 watt power blocks. The 12 and 20 Watt blocks have been fine. Unless by some stroke of weird luck I got two defective in a row? I doubt that too because I have never, ever had a power block go bad and its been decades of using cells phones and devices.

BTW- back to the OP.
Im kind of stuck on keeping my trustworthy iPhone XR until such time as the price of the iPhone 13mini comes down, UNLESS I get nuts for the SE3, which maybe if I was younger I would be ok with the smaller screen but wow, after holding the similar to iPhone 13 mini which is the iPhone 12 mini in my hands and that really nice display, it kind of made me forget about the lack of a finger print reader (right now) and the larger screen of the Mini compared to the SE3 is significant.
But, I dont know, will see. I have RedPocket ATT service and they are offering some killer deals right now too without contracts.
Decisions, Decisions my iPhone XR is in perfect condition, will easily get $225 or more but I think for me is that I am bored and looking to buy something *LOL*

^^^ Yeah, I think (and honestly didnt think to) much into it. The iPhone 11 was drawing too much current (maybe?) from the older 5 watt power blocks. The 12 and 20 Watt blocks have been fine. Unless by some stroke of weird luck I got two defective in a row? I doubt that too because I have never, ever had a power block go bad and its been decades of using cells phones and devices.

That shouldn't be a problem. For years, Apple has been including the 5W "cube" power adapters with iPhones that could take in up to 10.5W or even higher with a Lightning to USB-C cable. I used to charge an iPad Mini with one of the 5W cubes. It's just going to be slower. Or at least that's what **should** happen.

I like it for the home button. I know I’m in the minority when I say that but I do. What turns me away is the size I like the 6.1 like my 12 Pro. It’s just a size I’ve gotten used too. My XR was the same size. Also the lack of colors too where is the blue? Or at least green. I like red too but not on a phone. Maybe I expect too much from cheap iPhones lol. But those things matter to me. I am not due for an upgrade till next year anyway lol and now that I’m in the pro models I don’t want to go back.
Regarding different color phones? That's is what cases are for... get a protective case in the color that is available.

I like it for the home button. I know I’m in the minority when I say that but I do. What turns me away is the size I like the 6.1 like my 12 Pro. It’s just a size I’ve gotten used too. My XR was the same size. Also the lack of colors too where is the blue? Or at least green. I like red too but not on a phone. Maybe I expect too much from cheap iPhones lol. But those things matter to me. I am not due for an upgrade till next year anyway lol and now that I’m in the pro models I don’t want to go back.
I can certainly understand not wanting to go back from a pro. After all that’s a big downgrade but if you wanted a smaller phone you could do the iPhone 13 mini.
I agree about the colors on the SE3, but I really wouldn’t expect much more being this is Apple’s budget phone unless they do like they have them with other phones and come out with more colors six months down the road.
I think that goes for any manufacturer that you can’t expect to have everything from the budget line which may take away sales from the more expensive devices.
I’m not making excuses for Apple though, lack of colors bothers me too.

I can certainly understand not wanting to go back from a pro. After all that’s a big downgrade but if you wanted a smaller phone you could do the iPhone 13 mini.
I agree about the colors on the SE3, but I really wouldn’t expect much more being this is Apple’s budget phone unless they do like they have them with other phones and come out with more colors six months down the road.
I think that goes for any manufacturer that you can’t expect to have everything from the budget line which may take away sales from the more expensive devices.
I’m not making excuses for Apple though, lack of colors bothers me too.

The new SE doesn't even have a front screen that matches the body - unless you get black. I'm pretty sure they did that to keep the costs down, where they only need to have their contract manufacturers make and they only need to stock a single version.

Apple_new-iphone-se-white_04152020_big.jpg.large.jpg

However, it's a pretty good value I'd think, especially with the Apple A15 processor at that price.

^^ good point, I’m sure they don’t want it to look too nice and compete against their phones that cost $270 more!
Yeah, it has the specs for sure and if that front was done the way you say it would be awesome, I’m itching to try a new phone and this is attractive for the price $429 even if I don’t keep it and go back to my XR.
I just won’t spend $700 on a phone and why I buy new iPhones that are 2 model years back unlocked directly from Apple.
Which brings me to the iPhone 11, Great phone At $499 unlocked from Apple but not enough upgrade for me.
So right now I’m resigned to keeping my XR which is an absolutely flawless condition. Unless I can finagle a deal from Redpocket on a 13 mini which I would really like to try. I’m in no rush in at any moment I could change my mind I just ordered this SE3 lol

Last edited:
^^ good point, I’m sure they don’t want it to look too nice and compete against their phones that cost $270 more!
Yeah, it has the specs for sure and if that front was done the way you say it would be awesome, I’m itching to try a new phone and this is attractive for the price $429 even if I don’t keep it and go back to my XR.
I just won’t spend $700 on a phone and why I buy new iPhones that are 2 model years back unlocked directly from Apple.
Which brings me to the iPhone 11, Great phone At $499 unlocked from Apple but not enough upgrade for me.
So right now I’m resigned to keeping my XR which is an absolutely flawless condition. Unless I can finagle a deal from Redpocket on a 13 mini which I would really like to try. I’m in no rush in at any moment I could change my mind I just ordered this SE3 lol

My parents just got a 2nd gen iPhone SE for $249 from Cricket to replace their damaged iPhone 6 Plus. I guess they were at clearance prices because they're getting ready for the 3rd gen. And I helped them set up and re-set up that phone over the weekend. It's a huge pain when you don't remember the passcode. But still - $249 is an excellent price. My iPhone 7 would cost $319 to replace (it's got some camera cover and other damage). But for some reason the SE 2nd gen is $269 to replace even though it's way more capable than an iPhone 7 or iPhone 8.

One issue is that I don't want to deal with Face ID. I prefer using a fingerprint.

It does. You can charge (albeit slightly slower) with an old brick without issue, I have been doing it for six months at least. Maybe there is something wrong with his wife's phone.

It does. You can charge (albeit slightly slower) with an old brick without issue, I have been doing it for six months at least. Maybe there is something wrong with his wife's phone.

It should be safe to use anything, but obviously that will be constrained to the maximum current/power controlled by the circuitry. The other thing is that as long as it's a well-regulated power source, the maximum current that a power adapter can provide doesn't matter, as the actual charging circuitry is in the device. The device is never going to pull in more than its rated maximum current unless there's a defect.

Back