Apple updates their $400 phone

my wife has X and I have Xs Max phone; they both work flawlessly to this day; we may get 14 iPhone once is out, if not both then just one for sure

honestly, this iP13 is nothing outrageously better that just my Xs Max yet

Glad to see I am not the only one irked by the no charger included with phones.

I got my mom a SE2 last year and it came with the "new" USB-c to lightning charging cable. She has no USB-c devices/chargers (heck, I only have one USB-C output in my house).
If not for the fact she had a iPhone 5c and already had some charging cables from that, she would have had no way to charge her new phone without making an additional purchase.
Same for my sister and her husband, both their SE2 came with the new USB-c cable, but no USB-c chargers in their household. Again, they both had a 5c, so they had lightning cables that would work, but still a stupid move.
Apple says one of the reasons they do this is for the environment, but how is me having to order a separate item and have it shipped better for the environment?
Just another way to keep charging more and giving less. Same for no more headphones included with the phone.

I got my mom a SE2 last year and it came with the "new" USB-c to lightning charging cable. She has no USB-c devices/chargers (heck, I only have one USB-C output in my house).
If not for the fact she had a iPhone 5c and already had some charging cables from that, she would have had no way to charge her new phone without making an additional purchase.
Same for my sister and her husband, both their SE2 came with the new USB-c cable, but no USB-c chargers in their household. Again, they both had a 5c, so they had lightning cables that would work, but still a stupid move.
Apple says one of the reasons they do this is for the environment, but how is me having to order a separate item and have it shipped better for the environment?
Just another way to keep charging more and giving less. Same for no more headphones included with the phone.

As I noted earlier, you have to start somewhere. Once there's a steady base of people with power adapters, there should be no need for any further ones. But in my house I've already got well over a dozen USB-A power adapters, Lightning, micro-USB cables, USB-C cables (of various types), and even a couple of USB-C power adapters, although one computer came with one that had a captive cable. And that one actually died, where it was easily replaced with a USB-C power adapter and separate cable.

None of these companies expect to make more money off of this. You're only thinking short term. But long-term it's going to be something where it should work out.

I do have an issue in that companies often overpackage things. Once I bought a bunch of power adapters really cheap. Brand name and even listed on Apple's certified power adapters database. But simply packaged in plastic bags like you might find stuff sold at Home Depot. Personally I thought it was way better than all those overpackaged setups where it's a 4x4x1.5" box for something that's just 2x1x1".

For a lot of people, they will already have the charger so there is that. I decided to get one with my 11 so we have three now. That way they stay where they are needed, bedroom night stand, kitchen and in the car.

Apple sells tens of millions of iPhones each year. Even if 20% of buyers don’t get a charger that is a substantial savings in materials. I suspect that number is higher than that.

For a lot of people, they will already have the charger so there is that. I decided to get one with my 11 so we have three now. That way they stay where they are needed, bedroom night stand, kitchen and in the car.

Apple sells tens of millions of iPhones each year. Even if 20% of buyers don’t get a charger that is a substantial savings in materials. I suspect that number is higher than that.

Who is to say that Apple or other manufacturers aren't going to pass on the cost savings to the customer? At least in the long run.

Also - Apple is really trying hard to get users to adopt USB-C. That's what new Apple laptops only use and is on all Apple desktops, although they still have some USB-A ports. In the end they might have customers getting relatively inexpensive third-party power adapters, since USB-C Power Delivery adapters are pretty easy to find. This one seems pretty reasonable.

As I noted earlier, you have to start somewhere. Once there's a steady base of people with power adapters, there should be no need for any further ones. But in my house I've already got well over a dozen USB-A power adapters, Lightning, micro-USB cables, USB-C cables (of various types), and even a couple of USB-C power adapters, although one computer came with one that had a captive cable. And that one actually died, where it was easily replaced with a USB-C power adapter and separate cable.
I agree you have to start somewhere, but when you have been on a standard for decades (USB-A), then decide to switch to a new standard (USB-C), you need to provide the switch for a period of time.
Apple went from sending devices with USB A - Lightning cords with USB-A power bricks for many years, then USB A - Lightning cables with no plugs (since "everybody" had them already) a few years ago, and now USB-C - Lightning cords with no power adapter.
No transition period to USB-C power bricks. Not even an adapter for the millions of USB-A power bricks, now making those garbage unless you buy an adapter.
Again, many say the switch of not including a power brick was partially for environmental reasons, but that is a bunch of bull. It was 100% cost on Apple's part.
I could almost forgive them if Apple had decided to go to USB C only on both sides of the cable for the phone (isn't the iPad like that?).
Apple will make the transition eventually to all USB-C, so why not introduced with either of the last 2 generations of phones?

All this is moot for me for the most part, I use wireless charging for my phones, but still an irritant and my first world gripe.

I agree you have to start somewhere, but when you have been on a standard for decades (USB-A), then decide to switch to a new standard (USB-C), you need to provide the switch for a period of time.
Apple went from sending devices with USB A - Lightning cords with USB-A power bricks for many years, then USB A - Lightning cables with no plugs (since "everybody" had them already) a few years ago, and now USB-C - Lightning cords with no power adapter.
No transition period to USB-C power bricks. Not even an adapter for the millions of USB-A power bricks, now making those garbage unless you buy an adapter.
Again, many say the switch of not including a power brick was partially for environmental reasons, but that is a bunch of bull. It was 100% cost on Apple's part.
I could almost forgive them if Apple had decided to go to USB C only on both sides of the cable for the phone (isn't the iPad like that?).
Apple will make the transition eventually to all USB-C, so why not introduced with either of the last 2 generations of phones?

All this is moot for me for the most part, I use wireless charging for my phones, but still an irritant and my first world gripe.

Apple has been using USB-C for a while. But again, I don't really think of it as some cynical ploy to get people to purchase more charging devices separately. They simply won't make a whole lot of money on it since the majority are probably going to go with third-party.

I personally prefer USB-A. I'll live with the slightly slower charging. It's probably better for overall battery longevity anyways to charge at a slower rate.

Am I missing something here with the talk about USB - C?
I think any decent phone uses USB-C cables and or port, at least the well known brands.
Apple just recently (on the iPhone SE2) started shipping their phones with a USB-C to Lightning cable, before that they were shipping phones with USB-A to Lightning cables.
Not sure when they started this, but I got my wife a SE2 maybe 2 years ago, and it came with the USB-A to Lightning, but the 3 SE2 phones I got for my mom, sister and her husband a few months ago all had USB-C to Lightning cables, none had an included charging brick.
No idea how long apple has been shipping USB-C to Lightning on their other phones. I don't think my kids got one with their new iPhone 11.

Some people do not update tech every year, and I know many that still have no USB-C charging plugs (I don't, and as I mentioned above, neither does my mom or sister). I do have one USB-C outlet on the back of my desktop I built 2 years ago, and I think one of my battery packs has a USB-C outlet as well.
I am still using my iPhone X that I bought used almost 3 years ago now.

In all of this there's no requirement that you actually have to use the USB-C cord with your new device, as already noted it's not as if it won't charge on a USB-A outlet. You can leave the new cord in the box and use one of the Lightning cords you already have laying around.

Personally I like the ability to use a PD outlet for both my phone and my MacBook. We have several wall outlets and that eliminates needing a wall wart.

In all of this there's no requirement that you actually have to use the USB-C cord with your new device, as already noted it's not as if it won't charge on a USB-A outlet. You can leave the new cord in the box and use one of the Lightning cords you already have laying around.

Personally I like the ability to use a PD outlet for both my phone and my MacBook. We have several wall outlets and that eliminates needing a wall wart.

I've seen those before, but I heard that the USB-C ones are way expensive compared to USB-A. And even then, a standard outlet and a power strip can take care of the issues adding it to an outlet. Not sure about it since they're pretty pricey and kind of expensive if they fail. And then there are just way too many permutations.

Leviton has a ton of combinations based on USB-A/USB-C, like two USB-A, two USB-C, one of each, different power ratings (like "just" USB-C Power Delivery or High Power). Don't know if I'd install one myself, but I suppose a lot of these would be installed with new homes or remodels.

It's a pain if this is your first apple product.

All this complaining reminds me of how I think new cars should come with a set of snow tires in the trunk, car really isn’t ready for all weather driving and all around usage straight from the dealer otherwise.

Ironically the charging port on my 6s died yesterday (only learned after killing two chargers). Have to go the day without a phone while i wait for a nano to micro adapter to in the mail so i can use my moto g4. Wireless charging sounds great now! so do these new phones come with multiple wireless chargers so i can charge where i need to? comes with at least one right? ;)

Apple just recently (on the iPhone SE2) started shipping their phones with a USB-C to Lightning cable, before that they were shipping phones with USB-A to Lightning cables.
Not sure when they started this, but I got my wife a SE2 maybe 2 years ago, and it came with the USB-A to Lightning, but the 3 SE2 phones I got for my mom, sister and her husband a few months ago all had USB-C to Lightning cables, none had an included charging brick.
No idea how long apple has been shipping USB-C to Lightning on their other phones. I don't think my kids got one with their new iPhone 11.

Some people do not update tech every year, and I know many that still have no USB-C charging plugs (I don't, and as I mentioned above, neither does my mom or sister). I do have one USB-C outlet on the back of my desktop I built 2 years ago, and I think one of my battery packs has a USB-C outlet as well.
I am still using my iPhone X that I bought used almost 3 years ago now.
(I already posted this, maybe you missed it)
I am 100% aware of this and think its inexcusable to sell me a $600 phone and no way to charge it. Its BS... since Apple started this, now Samsung is doing it too.
We had no USB - C chargers in our home, $800 worth of Apple watches for Christmas and I was forced to charge the watches with my MacBook Air and Mac mini until we went out and spent another $40 on Apple chargers.
Its complete B.S. Apple forcing me to save the so called earth by not including the parts needed to use the device I just bought from them.
Im a big fan of Apple but they are the worst in not providing the accessories needed. BS to having to go out and buy power blocks, BS excuse forcing me to get one, ohhhhh... save the planet, yeah right. Low class BS and surprised at people defending the practice on a so called high end device.
... and they are also wrong, you can not charge an Apple Watch without a USB-C power block, impossible.
(yeah someone mentioned an adapter, didnt buy $800 worth of watches for a cheap a-s adapter)

Last edited:
All this complaining reminds me of how I think new cars should come with a set of snow tires in the trunk, car really isn’t ready for all weather driving and all around usage straight from the dealer otherwise.
No, this reminds me of buying a car and it not having tires at all. Cant use the car until you buy them. Like my post above says.

I've seen those before, but I heard that the USB-C ones are way expensive compared to USB-A. And even then, a standard outlet and a power strip can take care of the issues adding it to an outlet. Not sure about it since they're pretty pricey and kind of expensive if they fail. And then there are just way too many permutations.

Leviton has a ton of combinations based on USB-A/USB-C, like two USB-A, two USB-C, one of each, different power ratings (like "just" USB-C Power Delivery or High Power). Don't know if I'd install one myself, but I suppose a lot of these would be installed with new homes or remodels.
We have three of the dual USB-C PD chargers (30 watts per slot) and one "high power" one, the oldest charger is at the kitchen Island and it's over a year old so far. FWIW they do come with a 5-year warranty.

On another note, back to the new Apple SE3, great deal if someone wants a cost effective small screen phone. I dont THINK I am considering it anymore because I want a few more features of the standard iPhone and that most likely would mean an iPhone 13 mini one big things is you cant use apple air tags with the SE3 but my wife has the 11 which can.... but who knows... Im looking to buy something yet my XR is and has been awesome *LOL*
Anyway as far as processing power blows away anything at any price in the Android world, pretty amazing for a $429 phone vs Samsung Flagship $1200 phone.
1 =

2 = Another review = apple-iphone-se-3

3 = Water test! *LOL* =

Last edited:
We have three of the dual USB-C PD chargers (30 watts per slot) and one "high power" one, the oldest charger is at the kitchen Island and it's over a year old so far. FWIW they do come with a 5-year warranty.

Not sure about the high power one. Apple has a USB-C power adapter that puts out 96W. Not sure if that would safe/reliable inside the innards of a power outlet that will be buried in a wall.

Not sure about the high power one. Apple has a USB-C power adapter that puts out 96W. Not sure if that would safe/reliable inside the innards of a power outlet that will be buried in a wall.
The newer ones can provide 60W instead of 30W, that makes it better for charging a MacBook. It should be safe since the device contains protective circuitry. One thing you do have to be ready for is that these devices are rather large so you can't stuff them into a crowded box.

Back