API Sequence IIIF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amsoil's latest news letter brags about how there 10W-30 oil went through the most rigorous test ever by an oil. They claim the normal time an oil goes through this Sequence IIIF is 80hrs. They put there oil in for 240hrs and it should great results. The oil held up. No other details. Amsoil's CEO claims only a few other oils, Mobil 1 etc, could go only to about 160 and have never been tested this far. Is this another test that means nothing?

quote:

Is this another test that means nothing?

I would think not. A real engine. Turned on and loaded and everything. Not bad for API. Just look at the consumption - 240 hours is a rough test. Amsoil 10W-30 went 3X the API minimum. Even after the price raise I'll still get my dealer price and be happy. I'll post my analyses' by Terry or maybe three labs!

That's a good test. It's my understanding that 20-weight oils must pass double-length sequence IIIF tests to gain Ford and Honda approval. Several 20-weights have Ford or Honda approval or both including Mobil Drive Clean, Amsoil, Motorcraft, and Union 76.

Jay,

I went ahead and ordered that 12 qt case of the 0w-20, Synergen racing synthetic. The engineer I spoke to claims they have found a way to incorporate a very high percentage of organic ester and still get good seal compatibilty. I'll post a baseline analysis in the next few weeks. It's supposed to have a TBN of approx 12.0 and the guys who work for Synergyn are running 10k-12k between changes. I'll probably just dump the Amsoil 5w-20 and go right to this - it'll kill me to just have it sitting out in the garage.

I bought this based on Dragboats recommendation, so we'll see ....

I suspect it is pretty decent stuff @ $10.00/quart
wink.gif

Ted

12k between changes. I'll probably just dump the Amsoil 5w-20 and go right to this - it'll kill me to just have it sitting out in the garage.

I bought this based on Dragboats recommendation, so we'll see ....

I suspect it is pretty decent stuff @ $10.00/quart
wink.gif

Ted[/QB][/QUOTE]

You asked me only for a link to their site as I remember but it is a good oil,,I have seen their analysis's on some engines "not the 20wt" and they are ran to 12k with ease. You are not hooked up,,that price was a bit ,,,,high
wink.gif

Dragboats cost is less but I have been doing business with them for some time now. They are a good bunch down there and you will like in finding that the current Chief Chemist came from Amsoil
tongue.gif

Their oil additive will put some added punch and extended life in these OTC oils,,the best additive I have ever seen and is near what is in their formulated oils but I cannot tell you what is in it .
wink.gif
One of those sworn to secrecy deals but all kidding aside it a great line of oils and their other products are great also,,especially the gear oil.

I sincerely hope you enjoy as much success with their products as I have,,although you are only using the newer 20 wt that I have not tried
cool.gif

[ November 21, 2002, 08:12 PM: Message edited by: dragboat ]

quote:

Amsoil's latest news letter brags about how there 10W-30 oil went through the most rigorous test ever by an oil.

Bragging? Sure, why not? I guess this is what they mean by "meets and exceeds".

quote:

They put there oil in for 240hrs and it should great results. The oil held up. No other details.

No other details? What "other details" would you like to see? The test was run and the results were posted.

quote:

They claim the normal time an oil goes through this Sequence IIIF is 80hrs.

Yes they claim that and it is true.

quote:

Amsoil's CEO claims only a few other oils, Mobil 1 etc, could go only to about 160 and have never been tested this far.

There was no quote at all from Amsoil's CEO and there was no mention of Mobil 1. In addition, there was no such claim that other brands have never been tested this far.

quote:

Is this another test that means nothing?

No, it means that Amsoil 10W30 can go three times the API Sequence IIIF test.

I know there are several that do not like Amsoil for one reason or the other. that's your right. But why do you want to make such an issue out of it? If you don't like the Amsoil products and their way of doing business than don't buy their products. There are plenty of folks that do use their products and are perfectly happy with the results they have gotten. So enough already. Use what you want. I'm am happy that you are satisfied with what you are using.

First off, I use Amsoil and think it is great. I just put in the series 2000 0w-30 and noticed a hp increase. Or it could be psychological.ha! I assumed he was talking about Mobil 1, this wasnt a quote. Al Almatuzzio only considers M1 a real competitor, which is why the whole article was comparing M1 to Ams. I am not against Amsoil! I respect the fact that they compare oils and publish it. The other companies don't have the guts to do it. Amsoil should be commended. I do think they like to brag, but so what! If they make a better product, let them. Some people though feel there benchmark tests are a joke and waste of tim which is why I said "is this another test that means nothing" Some one ripped me because I posted tests results of Amsoil. Like Monday morning Q'backs, some people think they have all the answers. I put my trust into the scientists, not Joe Shmoe in his garage. Personally I am not a chemical engineer so I can only take there word for it, or do my own analysis and sent it off to be checked out.

[ November 22, 2002, 06:42 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Buster,

The Sequence IIIF test is run with a 3.8L, GM V-6 under the following conditions:

1) load of 100 bhp
2) 3600 rpms
3) Oil temp stabilized @ 155C/311F

Lets look at each of these test parameters in turn ....

1) A typical passenger car requires only 12-15 hp to cruise @ 60 mph. Any long term subscriber to "Car and Driver" magazine probably remembers the coastdown measurements they used to do on new models? So this test runs the engine under very heavy loads ...

2) When coupled to a four speed overdrive GM transmission, running this V-6 @ 3600 rpms is equal to a road speed of approx 100-105 mph, depending on gearing. So 240 hours @ this rpm level is approx equal to an oil change interval of 25,000 miles. You can see why Amsoil selected this test duration if you take the time to look at the data.

3) A bulk oil temp of 311F is 70F-100F higher than you would typically see when driving on the highway @ 70 mph. Oil temps > 300F greatly accelerate the oxidation rate of the oil, as well as causing significant increases in oil consumption - even for a PAO based synthetic.

[ November 23, 2002, 12:25 PM: Message edited by: TooSlick ]

Wow, thanks Tooslick. That is a serious test. My car running at 3,000 rpms at 75mph is easy on the oil then....

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
Any long term subscriber to "Car and Driver" magazine probably remembers the coastdown measurements they used to do on new models? So this test runs the engine under very heavy loads ...

Does anyone know why CD stopped doing this?? I always thought those numbers were the most interesting of the data they showed.

CD probably stopped because the average reader had no idea what to do with that data, it just confused them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back