API finds nearly half of certified oils have issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of all the VOA and UOA here and PQIA reports in the past couple decades, I do not recall seeing anything overly concerning with well-known store brands and the majors.

If I am losing sleep, suspect lubricant quality is not the reason. - Ken

I've been saying that for over 20yrs here. On a product like motor oil that basically has limited regulation, you'll never know exactly what you are getting in each bottle, jug, box, barrel, etc.

I love seeing VOA and UAO data just like most of us on BITOG, but in reality, the data is going to change with every single oil change even with the "same" oil. You get a data point on engine health and how that specific ~5qts of oil look. That's it.

Change it at a reasonable interval for your engine and your usage and you are not going to have an oil related problem.

Not at all …
You're no fun at all. Just squint your eyes a little. I do like the AF designation. If you buy your Mobil 1 at garage sales you are cheap AF, for example.:)
mob1qq.jpeg

too bad there isnt readily available foamy tests. I forsee many future complaints about frothyness and too much of a head on T4-T6

1709919969133.jpg

So, more food for thought and why I say BITOG posters have “blinders” on.

The majority of bad product isn’t going to be found on the shelf. It’s not going to be in quarts, gallons, or jugs of any sort. This isn’t really something that will affect the DIY crowd. Even the most basic poster here, at least cares enough about their vehicle to ask. To look around for info. That immediately puts you in the top 5% - probably 1% of all car owners. Chances of you getting bad oil? Slim.

Who is this going to affect? Where are these bad gallons coming from?

They’re getting put into cars in no name quick lubes and cheap “mechanics” shops every day.

“Oh, who goes there? Really?”

Millions of gallons of oil go out of quick lubes and mechanics shops like that everyday. What’s actually in their bulk oil tank? Who’s going to test their oil? (We had the motor oil matters program for a while. But that was only for shops that signed on.) The people that take their cars there - do you really think they’re the ones running oil analysis?

Things I’ve seen quick lubes do:

Buy 10w30 for everything. Their “full syn 0w20 dexos 1” tank? Yeah. Conventional 10a30.

Refill empty Mobil 1 jugs out of a bulk oil tank so the customer thinks / sees they’re getting Mobil 1. (Yeah the bulk oil tank wasn’t Mobil 1.)

This is quite regular: Change suppliers every order. So whatever is in their tank is mystery mix.

Etc. Etc. Etc.

I commend everyone here - you guys and girls care. It’s awesome to see. But for every 1 person on here that cares. There’s probably 1000 people who don’t care. This is why you’re seeing OEMs push going to the dealership. Either through free oil changes or other incentive programs.

This is why there’s such a market for 10 cent oil filters that might be just a tin can with stuffed card board. This is why there’s a market for crap oil. You see a lot of it in the industrial world too. Because purchasing agents don’t care about quality. The more expensive the oil is? The smaller their bonus is.

For quick lubes? If they can save 30-40-60 cents a gallon. That’s more money they can make. What’s their incentive to not cheat? They want to make more money.

Thus, my comments. Hope this helps.

I did a lot of research before I pick an oil that I want to use. being a big fan boy of Acura and Honda it was a no-brainer to choose red line. of course the way their bottles are shaped it's almost like having a funnel in every qt I just wish they were a little bit more semi-transparent or had a window so you could get a better idea of how much was left in the bottle. that might be my only gripe as I like their camper resistant seals that they put over their bottles. kind of nice to be able to use a product that works extremely well in both the crankcase and the transmission. I did that before with Castrol but it's not the same quality of fluid and the performance results are night and day using a real synthetic.

The API has over 27,000 products licensed globally and analyzes over 1,000 samples annually to assure compliance. Recent results found that 46% of these samples had issues ranging from minor discrepancies to more serious viscosity and NOACK inconsistencies. Some 15% of the samples had "questionable additives" indicating a divergence from the original chemical fingerprints established during licensing.

API finds almost half of tested oils have issues
46% globally is a much too general statement. To be meaningful, we need to understand which of the products that are labeled questionable are mfg outside the US and not from major producers. As I think, we all know, there is an extremely large number of smaller companies that are putting products out there and I’m inclined to believe they would be more likely to be the ones not meeting the API licensing requirements. We can’t really look at the 46% as being one lump sum.

The average consumer wouldn't care. It's oil, it comes out of a bottle, it's slippery, it goes in their engine, they forget about it for months until their next oil change. I would hazard a lot of this is also for industrial bulk applications, but that's just a guess.
Yeah but what if I want more slipperyer oil?

Yeah but what if I want more slipperyer oil?
Have to frankenbrew MMO, Lucas, a bit of Seafoam, and then add any oil from a yellow bottle. Everyone knows oil from yellow bottles is inherently more slippery than oil from black or red bottles.

Have to frankenbrew MMO, Lucas, a bit of Seafoam, and then add any oil from a yellow bottle. Everyone knows oil from yellow bottles is inherently more slippery than oil from black or red bottles.

When does the MoS2 come into play?

Redonculus! The science has clearly disproved the bottle color theory. To achieve the superior-ist slipperiness, it takes at least 100ppm unicorn tears or 2% Hopeium by volume.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back