Anywhere to buy clearance/discontinued engine oil cheap?

Every time I go into ANY store I immediately head to the clearance section. Almost always some oil there. Can't guarantee that it's going to be the brand and viscosity you want.
I check the clearance section at my local Walmart religiously but if they ever have any oil it's usually 2-stroke stuff.

@cwilliamsws6

I dunno, if your dad gets mileage for driving his truck this much he should be making money on it, and possibly good money too.
Speaking of, I once had to go to Moscow Idaho for work for a couple of days and it was cheaper for company to pay me mileage return trip vs flying me there from Vancouver, BC and back, so I drove and saved company money while making about C$600 extra too.

Last edited:
@cwilliamsws6

I dunno, if your dad gets mileage for driving his truck this much he should be making money on it, and possibly good money too.
Speaking of, I once had to go to Moscow Idaho for work for a couple of days and it was cheaper for company to pay me mileage vs flying me there from Vancouver, BC, so I drove and saved company money while making about C$600 extra too.
Moscow is about 30 minutes from me, I'm in Lewiston. Neat little town, what did you think of it when you went?

This is how you can save money...
Get a commercial account at Coleman Oil and use their 24 hour cardlock.
They likely have ethanol free gasoline which is premium boat gas.
Better for dirt bikes and 2-stroke engines. Better fuel economy too.

They are the Chevron distributor. Down load the 2023 chevron product salesfax.
Pick from the Delo line-up engine oils that have API CK-4/SN, SN+ approval.
Those have the P800 limit. The CK-4/SNs have the P1200 limit.

The FA-4/SN+ are "thin" 5w30 and 10w30s with a max HTHS of 3.1
IMO, the synthetic technology Delo's offer good value.

Dollar store engine oils are like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

Last edited:
Moscow is about 30 minutes from me, I'm in Lewiston. Neat little town, what did you think of it when you went?
It was about 15 years ago... lol
I did enjoy the drive, decent Best Western, it was warm season, don't remember if late spring or summer.
Smaller town I've been to a ton of them, did some work at the hospital there. Had to travel for work for 6 years, spending 2 weeks a month on the road flying all over the US, one day in FL, next day in AK, that kinda thing.

I take care of all the cars in the family, with the exception of warranty and recall work obviously, and I already have a huge stockpile of 5w30 for my mom's Honda and my Nissan, but I need to get some 0w20 on hand for my dad's truck because with how much he drives for work he basically gets a monthly oil change.

I'm wanting to know if there's anywhere I can buy some of the remaining stock of Magnatec 0w20 at a discounted rate, or if there is anywhere that has "clearance" or recently discontinued motor oil. I've seen some 6 quart and 12 quart cases of magnatec available on ebay and amazon but I am wondering if there is anywhere else worth checking out. Thanks
Oddly enough not sure if home depot still has oil but I found a case of Pennzoil synthetic for real cheap a few years ago.

Also I'm weary about using a heavier oil in the Tacoma because the owners manual does say you can use 5w20 but only in emergency situations and it needs to be changed for 0w20 asap
Read that manual carefully, Toyota also says something like:

The 20 in 0W-20 indicates the viscosity characteristic of the oil when the oil is at high temperature. An oil with a higher viscosity (one with a higher value) may be better suited if the vehicle is operated at high speeds, or under extreme load conditions.

So, you could use 5W30 if you wanted. Won’t hurt anything.

Solves your problem.

For what he's spending on gas you're worrying about small potatoes.

I bet he'd be happy to buy a 5 gallon bag/box, knowing it's for his use, but it's probably cheaper to get the Kirkland 2x 5 quart packages at Costco.

Otherwise watch the rebate section. When it rains it pours. I can't believe the people that see a deal then think there'll be another one in six months so they buy one or two OCI's worth. Living in a studio apartment's not an excuse. Put it under your bed or on top of the fridge.
its up to 40$ for 2 jugs now.. nothing special... that deal used to be closer to 25$ for 2.

Check brickseek for the new version of magnatec (GTX full syn) at Walmart. Lots of walmarts recently cleared this oil for $13/jug, but I suspect most of them have sold out by now. In fact, I took the last 3 jugs at my local store!

Back